If you could only fly one diameter MPR or HPR motor range...?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would choose 38mm CTI. There is a good range of motor impulse, including plenty that are bigger than I’ve flown, so there is still a little bit of room to grow, but not much.

At high power launches, I fly high power rockets, and mostly don't fly midpower motors. But I also attend a good number of non-HPR launches. So I would want some mid-power options and 38mm CTI has some 1-grain G options. Although I’m sure those are not the most affordable G motors on the market.

Is this question only about the one set of hardware and reloads, and it allows the option to fly other kinds of single-use motors? Or is it saying you have to choose only one kind of motor the rest of your life? Because I could be pretty happy with 38mm CTI as long as I could also use Aerotech single-use and DMS motors in any diameter. Most low-power and mid-power motors I fly are single use, not reloads. And I’d like to know I could fly some of the big 54mm or larger DMS motors when I get to that point.

If the single-use motors of different diameters are off the table, then I would probably still opt for 38mm CTI, but I might consider opting for 29mm CTI instead, just to have the midpower options. I’d have to really think about that. I like flying a range of motors.

I like having a wide impulse range so much that if you asked me to choose between a single brand and diameter of reloads or an unlimited range of single-use, I would choose the unlimited single-use.

I'd settle for the 54mm fiberglass mach 1 kits (I have a few) with 38mm mount. Fly the 240 for nice low single deploy, 360 for 2300 foot DD, all the way on up to near 8k on the 1080. price range, flight range, complexity range. hard part is I haven't been able to get one under the class 1 waiver, so that would preclude our smaller field Thirsty.... But I know you've got plenty of kits for that field too. I fly single grain G67R's there all the time.

Thanks everybody for weighing in!!!

I just went ahead and bought the Pro 38mm Starter kit from Apogee.

I think this will be the one to stick with until financials improve.

Gonna head out to Rockonn for the 18th and fly!

https://www.rockonn.org/
Thanks everyone :)

Back