3D Printing If I Want to Experiment with 3D Printing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I have been wanting to experiement with 3D printing. I can pick up a Creality Ender 5 Pro 3d Printer for under $300 -- specifically the Creality Official Ender 5 Pro 3D Printer Upgraded Silent Mother Board Metal Feeder Extruder and Capricorn Bowden PTFE Tubing. Is this machine worth $300 to allow me to experiment? Thoughts?

It's' worth it if everything is working. It's probably worth it if you have to replace a few things. The Ender 5 Pros typically sell for that or more used so I don't think you'll go wrong with this. It may take a little more time to set up because you may have to go back and "rebuild" a few items but that's one of the things that makes it fun.

My wife just bought a "new, never used. Only assembled" treadmill off of FB marketplace for a third of the original cost. It was in fact never used but I had to disassemble it and put it back together to insure it was done right...(it wasn't the first time). It likely would have been fine as is but it gave me peace of mind and allowed us to have a unit that will last as long as possible...

Yeah, seems like a good deal, just be prepared to do a lot of testing and adjusting before you get to experiment with any useful printing. I spent an hour or two a night for at least a week getting my Ender 3 dialed in. 3D is a hobby all on its own. It requires a lot of testing, tweaking, re-testing, swapping parts, etc. Especially so for Creality printers it seems. Prusa printers have a reputation for being a bit more plug and play if you would rather pay more and tinker less.

You may want to check if there are maker spaces near you. Could be cheaper and much more productive / better learning experience to join for a few months and try printing on their 3D printers with their guidance and expertise.

You may want to check if there are maker spaces near you. Could be cheaper and much more productive / better learning experience to join for a few months and try printing on their 3D printers with their guidance and expertise.
Concur. Makerspaces are a great idea. There are not any near me, but I would have done this first. The average 3D printer owner fizzles out quicker than a rocket guy.

Back