IE replacement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which browser should I use?

• firefox

• google chrome

• Other, details below

• stay with microsoft internet explorer

Results are only viewable after voting.

sunward

At Mad Rocket Basement
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have had it with microsoft and internet explorer 8.

My version of IE 6 was stable, until I ran a registry cleaner (cccleaner) and then wouldn't keep cookies. So I had to keep logging in.

I was finally able to ungraade to IE 8 but it (with this a family forum) is typical of the junk microsoft puts out. Slow. Keep hanging. Takes forever to load a page. And please don't suggest the quick hack going around ( run cmd reguster ... ) as it is a critical component anyway).

So I need a replacement.

i have put the top2 I know of on top. If there are any other suggestions, please discuss.

I have been using Opera for about as long as I can remember. It is free now. I bought it before then and it was well worth the money.

Used to be much faster than anything else out there, the others have probably caught up by now.

https://www.opera.com

Scroll down for the PC version. Have used it both on MS & Linux systems.

Marc

I've been using Firefox for years and have been very happy with it.

I use IE when necessary, and made the mistake of installing IE 8. Ugh. I've had it hang more in the past month than IE 7 has in the past year.

-Kevin

Firefox is good and is what I have been using for the past several years. You can tailor to your specific needs with "Add Ons". I recommend NoScript, PDF Download, Ad Block Plus, TabMixPlus, and IE Tab.

Opera is also a good browser with some interesting features. I uninstalled it as I didn't really need yet another browser.

I've used firefox some, but mostly I use IF7. It's worked better then firefox in some cases and worse in others. I can't say as I like either one better then the other.

The problem you had was you upgraded to IE8 instead of IE7. I take some classes on-line and the web-page has a large bright red banner that states IE8 is not supported. IE8 is sort of like Vista, doesn't work well and doesn't provide any incentive to upgrade from the previous version.

If you uninstall IE8 and install IE7 and still have problems, you might want to back up all your data and do a clean install of what I assume is WinXP 3rd ed. If you don't fix the issues, using a different browser is just covering them up. Sooner or later they will come back and bite you again, probably as a OS problem.

The thing about IE8 is that it, unlike older versions of IE, is actually starting to try to address web standards, and it is very much a completely new browser, even if it looks like IE7. Of course, because of this, it has some problems with stability and bugs right now. I'm glad microsoft is heading in that direction, but IE8 definitely isn't a good browser yet.

I use firefox primarily, and am quite happy with it.

...The problem you had was you upgraded to IE8 instead of IE7. I take some classes on-line and the web-page has a large bright red banner that states IE8 is not supported. ....
The banner seems to be gone. Implied IE 8 is no longer beta.

I didn't see the option to download IE7. You have to look for it and it isn't easy to find.

I was able to remove IE8 and now back to version 6.

I'm a diehard Firefox user. However I do support a couple thousand IE users in my job. I wanted to point out to IE8 users that if you have issues with IE8 simply switch it to IE7 compatibility mode. No need to reinstall IE7

We switched to Firefox last year (at the suggestion of several people here) because of problems with IE that we couldn't fix. I really like Firefox. I recommend the Foxmarks add-on.

I'm hooked on Google Chrome. It's fast and easy to manage. Although I post this with my iPhone running Safari, I use Chrome for everything.

I've used Mozilla to Firefox, for many years, with few problems.
Downloaded Google Chrome, actually about 45 minutes ago.
We'll see how well it works.

I have had it with microsoft and internet explorer 8.

My version of IE 6 was stable, until I ran a registry cleaner (cccleaner) and then wouldn't keep cookies. So I had to keep logging in.

I was finally able to ungraade to IE 8 but it (with this a family forum) is typical of the junk microsoft puts out. Slow. Keep hanging. Takes forever to load a page. And please don't suggest the quick hack going around ( run cmd reguster ... ) as it is a critical component anyway).

So I need a replacement.

i have put the top2 I know of on top. If there are any other suggestions, please discuss.

There's not a thing wrong with IE8 that other browsers don't have their equivalents. On my machines IE8 is pretty flawless. Firefox crashes and burns all the time. Chrome, however, is my default browser, even though it has a number of kinks that are really annoying, usually related to add-ins or the lack thereof. It is just so nice to use. I just remember which sites the kinks are on and use IE for those.

I've been using Firefox for several years and am very happy with it. That's not to say it doesn't crash from time to time. I avoid using any version of IE unless the website is specifically written for it and won't work with FireFox.

None of the websites that I visit ever have any display problems with Firefox, and I think that it has crashed exactly twice in the almost 2 years that I have been using it. I usually have A LOT of tabs open, too. (And when I restarted it after it crashed, it reopened all of the tabs that I had up, and I was back to exactly where I was when it abruptly quit.) I really like all of the third-party add-ons and extensions that can be used with it, too.

MarkII

Firefox is good and is what I have been using for the past several years. You can tailor to your specific needs with "Add Ons". I recommend NoScript, PDF Download, Ad Block Plus, TabMixPlus, and IE Tab.

Opera is also a good browser with some interesting features. I uninstalled it as I didn't really need yet another browser.

I second this. I have used Firefox about 4 years now and it is the best of the browsers for me. I used Opera for a time, but Firefox get more websites correct it seems (except Pemberton Technologies).

I also recommend AdBlock Plus for Firefox and you will never see another add on any website. I have Forecast Fox, Image Zoom, Exifviewer, Cooliris, FireFTP and Steep and Cheap Watcher (don't ask). I should add back the IE viewer, but haven't had much need.

There's not a thing wrong with IE8 that other browsers don't have their equivalents. On my machines IE8 is pretty flawless. Firefox crashes and burns all the time.

Interesting -- my experience is just the opposite. IE8 is one of the worst versions of IE I've seen for a while. After installing it, my computer would randomly pause for a couple seconds, then continue. On websites (including MS Exchange's Outlook Web Access -- a Microsoft product) it would flat out lock up. I was having to kill it once a day (I have two OWA sites I hit daily).

Yesterday, I uninstalled IE 8, and voila! Computer is back to behaving itself again -- no more random pauses.

Firefox? It's never hung on me except when the Acrobat plugin gets stupid -- every hang has been while viewing a PDF.

Now, that said, Microsoft has made some interesting decisions with IE 8, which once it's a more stable product, I think it will be much better than its predecessors.

-Kevin

I use SeaMonkey by Mozilla. Have for years. No issues. IE8, that's a different story. I keep getting these darn pop-ups, and there only coming from IE8. I turn on pop-up blocker, but it keeps resetting itself. It's frustrating.

In fact, I just removed it.

In fact, I just removed it.

If the ability to uninstall that piece of excrement isn't an indication that Microsoft has finally actually started listening to their users, then I don't know what is.

While I find IE8 to be fecal matter, based on my experience with it, and what it did to my computer, I do feel MS is moving the right direction with what they're doing, and I'm very happy to see that it's now possible to remove it when it causes issues!

Now, if Microsoft would only figure out what every other software company has known for years -- a browser is not a part of the OS!

-Kevin

Why? So you can get stuck with Safari, which is nearly as bad as IE?

Forget it. Just get firefox :D

Firefox runs on Macs too. :) And Safari is significantly better than IE in my opinion. :neener:

I like Firefox + Adblock Plus and Weave. Weave keeps all my bookmarks, passwords, form data, etc. synced up between all my computers. Very handy.

I know firefox runs on macs, but if you're going to use firefox anyway, there's no reason to get a mac to run it. I use FF+Adblock Plus+noscript. Excellent combnation, and it pretty much kills everything except the actual stuff I care about on a webpage.

I use Firefox, Opera and IE7 all on a regular basis, with IE7 getting the most use and being my preferred browser. Mostly because it looks prettier than the others :rolleyes:. I installed the free IE7Pro add on, which gives IE similar functions to many Firefox addons, such as an ad/flash blocker (which I find easier and far more effective than Ad Block Plus) and Greasemonkey script compatibility. It's a vast improvement over the stock browser, imo.
Tried IE8, used it for half an hour before uninstalling and going back to 7.

Phil

I second this. I have used Firefox about 4 years now and it is the best of the browsers for me. I used Opera for a time, but Firefox get more websites correct it seems (except Pemberton Technologies).

YIKES!
:eek:
What problems are you having? We will have our webdude look into this and any details would be appreciated.

It doesn't seem to set the width properly. Here's what it looks like to me (FF3 on Win7 RC):

PemTech website FF3.jpg

I'm having a problem (just started this morning) of not being able to open certain websites, such as YORF and Facebook. Everytime I try to click open,
I'm directed to a "Dell Search Page" or a Google "Oops, page not found" or "Oops, connection is broken." A few hours ago, I went to a nearby library
to check with their computers, and the pages mentioned above comes up with no problems. Does anyone know what the issue is here? Any and all
help appreciated!

how big is your monitor CJL?. I have a 17" and there is only a slight ammount of grey area on the right. Firefox/windows xp

Used Firefox for awhile, tried Google Chrome (now 2.0), found it better and have not looked back.

I'm an IT guy, and I use IE. Mostly because I'm lazy and IE is the"standard" that all web sites should run. But then again 15+ years ago I was a diehard Netscape guy, until it couldn't load many of the sites I used.

Back