Ideas needed!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biziedizie

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm going to scratch build a rocket that can take a G and an H motor. Trouble is that I can't decide on a rocket plan that would take both motors well.
I'm looking for a rocket that will go about 2500 ft and one that will fly fast.
I like the Calyso and rockets like that, but I still need some advice on the best plan to use.

Thanks!

Steve

How 'bout these?

Obnoxiously Big Bertha

A mondo upcscale of the classic Astron Birdie (You would have to scatch build the shuttlecock. (I wonder if you could blackmail an RSO into letting you fly it...)

... build a crayon rocket!!! you haven't really joined TRF until you've built a crayon rocket :)

I was careful with weight on the crayon we built. it flies just fine on F40-4s (700') and everything higher, all the way up to H97 for Level 1 certification (2200'). I built it with yellow glue, kinda to prove a point about epoxy and overbuilding.

get a Ralphco crayon at ToysRBust for $4.99 - you won't find a better nose cone/ body tube / "tail cone" for the price.

get a 29mm MMT from (somewhere), and some good 1/8" ply from the hobby shop. pretty much any fin shape will do. how about the Nike Smoke shape? Or the Big Bertha shape?

heck, if you are really short of $$$ get one of the cardboard tubes inside the produce bag roll at the grocery store - they are 1.5" inside-diameter. make a 38mm crayon.

Do you have RockSim? That is a good way to design a scratch rocket, and there are lots of RockSim files to start off with.

shrox

Just get a super big bertha kit and put the necessary motor mount in it. I would also suggest the stock paint scheme etc so that when you put it on the pad and say it's got an H in it people take notice. An H180-10 or G80-10 should be about right. Make sure you upgrade the recovery though, the motor is going to add weight and so will a little nose weight, if necessary.

Now that I think about it, since I have one unbuilt, and I'm thinking about certifying L2 soon, I should kill two birds with one stone. That reminds me, copy the fins with plywood, don't use the stock balsa. (That could be ugly.)

Peace :cool:

Mike

Hi guys! Sorry for the late reply, work and all.
Yes I have Rocksim and I do play with it at times but was thinking more about making a rocket that's a copy. SB Bertha sounds cool, does it fly good and also how high on a G?
I like the idea of a Crayon but I've never seen one where I live.

Steve

Back