Ideas Needed for 'Painting' Edmonds Boost-Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandome

Reaction score
We're making Deltie-Bs for my son's scout den. I know that you're not s'posed to paint them (and why), but I'm thinking the kids are really going to want to do SOMETHING to make the gliders look cooler, or at least write their names on them (and I know they can decorate the boosters).

I was thinking water colors, but I'm worried about getting the balsa too wet & getting warps as it dries out. Then I thought of fabric dyes (RIT) painted on; more concentrated than watercolors, so less liquid.

What do you think? What's the best..LIGHTEST...way to dress up a glider?

Thanks

Hmm... maybe make that washable markers... I'm not sure I'd have kids use sharpies...

I used wide chisel tip Fluorescent Highlighters. Yellow, Pink and Green. I gotten them cheap at dollar stores and usually they come in a three or four pak. Then I use a black sharpie or permanent marker to make patterns, like squares or stripes.

Using the markers keeps the glider light weight and makes it colorful to see.

I would recommend NOT to use paint. I adds lots of weight. Thined Dope is OK, but since you are working with kids not recoomended.

Mr Edmonds recommends NOT painting any of his designed gliders. They do not fly well at all if you do.

As many have already posted Magic Markers are the coloing method of choice. Cub Scouts are more then capable of handling permanent marks. Fluorescent markers and lighter colors seem to work best. Most dark colors tend to end up looking almost black.
Let the Cubs go.. you'll be amazed at what those blank slates can end up looking like. Heres on of my daughters EC-13's from some years back. Makes dad's look very bad LOL!!!!

161-p01_Kathleen EC-13_6 Pic Page_10-10-94.jpg

I agree with the permanent marker idea. Staples has 12boxes of the old "Magic Marker" sized markers containing 4 red, 4 blue and 4 black markers - the tip makes coloring large areas like wings easy. You could also get a couple of the color packs of Sharpies for adding smaller areas of color to them - I swear Sharpie now makes more colored markers than Crayola makes colors of crayons! ;)

Highlighters can work but tend to give "washed out" color because their pigment is not as opaque as that in a regular marker.

Finally, for big areas, Sharpie makes the Magnum, which supposedly comes in black, red and blue, although I have never found anything but black in any of the local stores (still have ta check out Blick - they might have them).

I agree that regular hilighters are not the best for color. The Fluorescent colors tend to be brighter and show in the light. Fl. yellow and Fl. orange I sometimes need a second coat depending on the balsa used on. Pink and green really stand out. I do not use Fl. blue. Why match the sky. :)

Back