Ideas needed - cutting hatches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
Hello all...I am thinking about mounting the electronics for my upscale Big Brute in and about the motor mount assembly. These, as well as the main ejection charge cannon, would be accessed via hatches cut in the side of the rocket (2 needed). The thought of cutting the hatches makes me shudder however. I'm using LOC 5.5" tubing which is pretty thick stuff. Please comment on these and other approaches:

1. Exacto knife - don't know if I have the patience.
2. Exacto to start a cut and then a razor saw. Maybe use the exacto for the rounded corners.
3. Rotozip - Don't know how to guide the cut. May need to cut the hatch itself from another piece of tubing in order to get a nice fit. Hmmm really don't think I can make this look nice.

To make matters worse, I want to slot one of the hatches and cover the hole with clear plastic so I can see the LEDs on my GWiz. Almost like having to cut three hatches. YUK.

Thanks in advance.

Judging from what I've seen you do already, I think you'll do just fine with whatever method you choose.

Fear is a mind killer, rstaff!

Don't be afraid to be scared!

Just relax while u do it. Your hand shaking could kill it.;)

Originally posted by rstaff3
Hello all...I am thinking about mounting the electronics for my upscale Big Brute in and about the motor mount assembly. These, as well as the main ejection charge cannon, would be accessed via hatches cut in the side of the rocket (2 needed). The thought of cutting the hatches makes me shudder however.
Thanks in advance.

Dick,

A friend has done lots of hatches -- and he justs spends LOTS of time with an X-acto going over and over his pattern. He backs the hatch with a coupler, with a slightly smaller "same shaped" hole, so that there is a backing plate to support the hatch, and a place to put T-nuts for small screws to hold the hatch plate. The coupler also gives support to the airframe.

You may want to buy the 100-pack of #11 blades ...

:)

Thanks to all for the encouragement/ideas. Sounds like the exacto route will produce the best result, although it will take the longest. At least the tube length is manageble on the couch while watching the tube :)

Dont let the TV distract you. You ned 100% of your concentration.;-)

Back