Ideas for filling some gaps (other than just more epoxy?)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zyzzyva1000

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying my hand at 3d printing, and made a fin can and nose cone for a BT 60 tube I had sitting around. The fin can is just slightly too big for the body tube. I know I could just make a thick layer of epoxy, but I was looking into other ideas? A few strips of masking tape gave a snug fit, but I don't think the epoxy will stick. Any ideas for something I could wrap that epoxy would stick to?

Otherwise my plan was just to thicken the epoxy with some cabosil (but less than I use for my usual fillets)

Perhaps epoxy a strip of paper around the BT. The epoxy will load through the paper. You could possibly even try cyanoacrylate glue (in a well-ventilated area), but I'm not sure if epoxy sticks to that.

You could even epoxy the paper and the fincan in one go.

Trying my hand at 3d printing, and made a fin can and nose cone for a BT 60 tube I had sitting around. The fin can is just slightly too big for the body tube. I know I could just make a thick layer of epoxy, but I was looking into other ideas? A few strips of masking tape gave a snug fit, but I don't think the epoxy will stick. Any ideas for something I could wrap that epoxy would stick to?

Otherwise my plan was just to thicken the epoxy with some cabosil (but less than I use for my usual fillets)
You didn't tell us what the 3D printed component is printed from (PLA,PETG,ABS, Nylon, etc) that makes a significant difference.

I'm with OverTheTop on using paper, assuming this is LP. (It's BT-60, so that's my assumption.) My thought was a wrap or two or five of printer paper with wood glue, but doing the paper and the fin can all in one go with one batch of epoxy sounds like a good idea too.

No, that's a lie, that wasn't my first thought. My first thought was to use a tube sleeve. If you don't have or want to buy a sleeve, just cut a slit up the side of another piece of BT-60 and slide that over. That will leave a little gap, which you can fill with something like CWF, probably not thinned this time. Or not even bother to fill. If the sleeve is recessed a bit from both ends of the fin can then the gap won't show, and it's structurally irrelevant.

But then I thought that might be too thick, so I went to printer paper.

Last edited:
Appreciate all the replies. I just wood glued on some printer paper and then epoxied over it once dry. Then for my second try I printed at 99% scale it it was almost perfect. Maybe 98.5% next time and I'll be set. As others have said this is just for LP messing around so should be plenty strong. Thanks again!

Back