Ideas for a club launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am looking to build a second set of launch pads for our power set up. We are planning for 8 pads. I am torn whether to have them permanently at a fixed position or amiable.

What does your club have?

Amiable please. With fixed positioning people start bending the rods and that's not good......

I think I agree with that. What type of connector do most of you use?

I suppose the DARS pads are amiable. At least I get along with them OK.

The high power pads aren't very aimable though. While they have a tilt adjustment, changing the azimuth requires rotating the entire pad. If the tilt heads used round stock instead of square for the base you could rotate them but that is a little harder to fabricate. But lack of rotation might be a good thing. NAR best practices suggest a minimum launch angle of 5 degrees away from the flight line. Easy rotation will let fliers change that more than you might like.

Tilt adjustment is pretty much the minimum requirement. A quick release pin will save a lot of wear and tear on the rails and rods.

Chuck,

We have been adding pads as we can afford them. Here in Ohio wind is a major factor but we have found that having an adjustment really isn't necessary or even recommended on the high power pads with heavy rockets. We have been using Knight Mfg. for pads and these are first rate. The welding is excellent, finish is great and most of all they are easy to set up, relatively light weight and come in a lot of sizes. When we need a little tilt of the rail standing on one of the legs, preferably before the electronics are armed, to push it into the ground is all that's needed and you don't have the worry of someone aiming it over the crowd because the wind is blowing away from the crowd. (Which it should be) even if they change it. If you have to point your rocket into the wind to keep it from getting too far away you are overflying your field.

The smaller Knight pads are adjustable I believe.

https://www.knight-mfg.com/tripod_launch_pads

IMG_0126.jpg

Chuck, I’ve seen a small number of high power pads with a 10/10 rail and the ones I like best are the ones the Utah Rocket Club uses. This is the best picture I could find. They tip by pulling a cotter pin and can tilt using a turnbuckle. I’m sure someone would give you measured drawings if you are interested.

Joe

Thanks guys. I am going to start with low power. Those pretty good pads.

Our current pads are steel 1x1 with and aimable L bracket and a threaded coupler welded to hold the rods.

Our new LPR pads, each sawhorse has 6 pads. There is probably 40hrs work in drilling, tapping and welding, both pad sets cost about $200 in materials, not including folding sawhorses.

20180425_210512.jpeg

We just use three 1/8" rods and two 3/16" rods on a saw horse for LPR. Non-adjustable. We also have two 1010 rail pads and a pad with 1/4" rod set up with an 8 pad controller. The 1010 rails get as much use as the small rods because of the E-G motors the TARC teams and others use.

Back