idea for custom digital Astrocam booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caheaton

Reaction score
I've been playing around with Open Rocket and have an idea for a custom booster for the new Estes Astrocam (digital). Here's my concept. I went with a smaller rear tube to aid in getting it out of the way of the camera's fov. The rear engine hook is inserted directly into the body tube and will be secured with glue & tape prior to painting. The tubes are such that the when the rocket lands booster end down, they should be protected a bit from damage.

Attachments

• custom digital astrocam booster.png
    custom digital astrocam booster.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 43
  • custom digital astrocam booster.rkt
    16.7 KB · Views: 10
modified the camera section a bit that likely does a better job of accounting for drag

Attachments

• custom digital astrocam booster.rkt
    15.3 KB · Views: 9
Would be cool if you could simulate the camera image with the stock booster and with this redesign to see the difference in how much rocket is showing in the camera view.

I have not seen one yet, but I think a staged A10-0 A10-3 booster would be more interesting.

Interesting you mention that....I've toyed with the idea of a staged booster....A10-0 to an A8-5 (I think the longer delay may be more optimal).

I’d love to see a design tilt the camera approximately 20 degrees into the tube. This would fix the issue with FOV a little better than smaller aft body tube and also make the camera’s external footprint (the draggy part) slightly smaller.

Back