idea for contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
i don't have anything to give away, so maybe someone else wants to host it if there's interest.

this brings up an idea for a new CONTEST!!!!!!
award to the person that makes a particular model go highest.
no rules, except that the model needs to be externally identical to the kit, i.e. no strap-ons...

maybe a monthly contest with a different model each month?

any motor, maybe keep them NAR approved to keep things fair.

proof...could be altimeter data for the best accuracy.
i'd imagine there'd be a witness needed.

So if the contest was to make, say, an Estes Eliminator fly as high as possible without any visible external changes, could I rip out its motor mount, put in a J350, and call it good? :D

Originally posted by daveyfire
So if the contest was to make, say, an Estes Eliminator fly as high as possible without any visible external changes, could I rip out its motor mount, put in a J350, and call it good? :D

You have my blessing :)

and it's stable...
not necessarily in that order.

maybe different categories, i.e. 18mm, 24mm, etc for each bird?
to make it harder, you have to keep stock fins!
try to keep balsa fins on with a J350, now THERE'S a challenge!

Originally posted by Elapid
try to keep balsa fins on with a J350, now THERE'S a challenge!

We've done balsa with a Pro38 J360 behind it, no problems! It also didn't have a main chute and came in kinda hard... broke the phenolic coupler but the fins were fine! (mind you, they were glassed ;))

What's the deadline? I suggest a while from now. I don't have a launch coming up for a while, and even that one is tentative due to the fire danger up here (Washington/Idaho). It's mid august, I believe, then in early September... My launch schedual , if anyone wants to see the dates we launch. Either way, fun just for the reason of high flying rockets...:)

Justin Horne

and no glass!
stock kits!
only thing you can change is the MMT
gotta make it a challenge, right?
if everyone took careful construction notes, we could get some meaningful data on what works best.

mind you, i'm not running a contest, just proposing one...

Fine, I have an idea :D :D

Just give me some time to look at all the motors availible...

(evil grin)

Blue

Justin horne,

Nice album and pics of the "skeeter"...my favorites were the sugar motor pics :D

Thanks for sharing!

would affect the look enough to make it non-stock, though multi-stage wouldn't automatically be outlawed, e.g. my 2-stage Quest Harpoon.

maybe i can locate some kind of prize, select a model for the bash, and host this thing...

how about the first bash being an OT.
it has to be one of the least aerodynamic kits available with lots of balsa sticking out all over the place...

how fast can it go and stay finned?
how high can it go on a 24?
how high on an APCP?
black powder?

CHAD doesn't affect it if its static display... in flight, yes, you would have a motor sticking out.

However, if you are talking about the look during flight...

Along the same lines, at last year's AIRFest, Tim Lehr (now from A Wildman Rocketry) sponsored a contest to see who could put a PML Tiny Pteredactyl the highest with minimal mods allowed. I think the winner went something like 11,500'. One problem you have with an altitude ccntest like this is that you need a place for altimeter and tracker to have a realistic hope of recovery. In this case, a little extra body tube length was permitted to house adequate recovery.

There's a bit of a safety issue that must be considered. An Executioner with a J350 on board is begging to become a shred. Then you have a motor case flying around under thrust with no rocket, no fins. Not a good thing.

Let's not get carried away, --Lance.

Back