ICEs and EVs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... By definition, ~50% of all accidents are caused by the other guy.
Not really by definition. But you do realize that at first no car had a safety belt and then some years later they all did. The same can happpen with other safety features.

I am surprised that auto makers haven't thought of collision repairability with EV's. They sure do with conventional auto's. Color me skeptical (but I think you already colored me that a long time ago).
Reparability has been going backwards on lots of car models for years, so it's no surprise that the EVs are getting into the hunt too. Think of all of the 5-mph collisions that caused $3K in damage. That's gotten some better after a spotlight was shone on the problem, but it's still not great.

Two other things worth noting: the Reuters article you cited noted that Ford and GM have improved reparability on their packs. The Teslarati one adds Nissan to the list. Tesla comes in for particular scorn in the Reuters article for glued-in batteries in the structural battery pods. That's madness, if for no other reason than that there's a secondary market for car batteries that have lost enough capacity that they're not great for cars, but they're fine for home battery packs. If the batteries are glued in, there's no way to recover that value.

Second, and related is that Musk has complained about "unreasonably high" insurance rates for Teslas. Make it easier to fix and those rates will come down.

I don't want to annoy anyone, I just think important people should be well informed.

Saw a news item about brake lights not working properly on evs if you use regenerative braking

Item I saw was calling it software bug, methinks there was wetware glitch in there too.

Saw a news item about brake lights not working properly on evs if you use regenerative braking
I have often wondered what the algorithm is on board an EV to trigger brake lights. I expect it varies from maker to maker. I so seldom actually put my foot on the brake pedal driving our Soul EV that I know it can’t just be a simple switch on the pedal as in an ICE car.

I do know that on ours the brake light comes on if I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal while we are moving (I can see that in the rear view mirror at night), which makes sense for this car, driven in the “more regen” mode essentially all the time. But I have wondered what it does if I just feather the accelerator pedal, especially on a down hill, where some regen is happening but my foot is not all the way off the pedal. This is in places where I’d be downshifted (and also probably on the brake) to keep from going too fast on the same hill in our other car (Mazda3, six-speed manual).

I don't want to annoy anyone, I just think important people should be well informed.

It's only turning 12s? That is pretty high for what it should do. The black car turned 13.13 and I've done quicker than that in my 5.0 Street Mustang with no internal motor mods, just factory racing tune.

I have often wondered what the algorithm is on board an EV to trigger brake lights. I expect it varies from maker to maker. I so seldom actually put my foot on the brake pedal driving our Soul EV that I know it can’t just be a simple switch on the pedal as in an ICE car.

I do know that on ours the brake light comes on if I lift my foot off the accelerator pedal while we are moving (I can see that in the rear view mirror at night), which makes sense for this car, driven in the “more regen” mode essentially all the time. But I have wondered what it does if I just feather the accelerator pedal, especially on a down hill, where some regen is happening but my foot is not all the way off the pedal. This is in places where I’d be downshifted (and also probably on the brake) to keep from going too fast on the same hill in our other car (Mazda3, six-speed manual).

I would design it so an accelerometer would detect negative acceleration and trigger the brake lites. My Mustang I had was a stick and with the Factory Racing Tune would do engine braking for the road tracks*. I rarely used the brakes at all and it made a nice Harley sound on the down shifts. It would also Lope on Engine Idle like a 454 Rat or 429 Boss.

But I kept an eye in the rear mirror and I didn't want someone tail gating me rear-end me cause my lights did not lite up.

*If I started the car up pressing Cruze Control ON the tune would revert to Soccer Mom mode, lower low end TRQ and no Engine braking for economy. Lower TRQ was needed for normies or they would cause the rear end to come around on them.

Last edited:
I would design it so an accelerometer would detect negative acceleration and trigger the brake lites.
That sounds like a good idea.

This ann area where I suspect that there are many design solutions “in the wild” now and it will take time to converge on the best/most reliable of them.

The stories I have seen are about the brake lights on the Hyundai Ioniq 5. It seems that the brake lights work properly according to applicable regulations, but some people think that they could work better. (I am one of those people.)

Right now when you use some regenerative braking modes, the brake lights don't light even though you are slowing down.

As noted above, this is analogous to the brake lights not coming on when you use down-shifting to slow a manual transmission vehicle. So, the issue is nothing new.

The difference is that the brake lights on an EV can be controlled by a computer, so they could be turned on when regenerative braking is used to slow the car. Hyundai could program their cars so that the brake lights come on more often. But, they aren't required to do that. And, there may actually be some regulations that prevent them (or that they interpret as preventing them) from changing the way the brake lights work.

The stories I have seen are about the brake lights on the Hyundai Ioniq 5. It seems that the brake lights work properly according to applicable regulations, but some people think that they could work better. (I am one of those people.)

Right now when you use some regenerative braking modes, the brake lights don't light even though you are slowing down.

As noted above, this is analogous to the brake lights not coming on when you use down-shifting to slow a manual transmission vehicle. So, the issue is nothing new.

The difference is that the brake lights on an EV can be controlled by a computer, so they could be turned on when regenerative braking is used to slow the car. Hyundai could program their cars so that the brake lights come on more often. But, they aren't required to do that. And, there may actually be some regulations that prevent them (or that they interpret as preventing them) from changing the way the brake lights work.

Being my 2013 Mustang Track GT had full accelerometers in it, even it could have been programed to lite the brake lights on down shifting if it detected a great negative acceleration. It had a dash display you could bring up that would show the Current or Max Gs in all four directions.

If you where out in the middle of no ware or on a runway say; you could bring up a Christmas tree drag lite pole and let the lights drop down to green while you had your foot on the gas all the way [launch rpm control] and let up on the clutch and it would launch you, then show you the timing and speed for the quarter mile.

You cannot possibly believe that's related to being an EV.

Anyhow, I like new techs and EVs check the box. Here's another.

For some reason EVs do not check any of my Boxes, but I'm old I guess ? They seem wrong tech for a grid that can't handle them yet till we get more nukes. But then I grew up in the 60s and 70s who everybody said we were going into an Ice Age .....

For some reason EVs do not check any of my Boxes, but I'm old I guess ? They seem wrong tech for a grid that can't handle them yet till we get more nukes. But then I grew up in the 60s and 70s who everybody said we were going into an Ice Age .....
It's very exciting that batteries are finally big enough to sit on and powerful enough to cause G forces.

No one worried about the grid when US pop. increased by hundreds of millions and started to buy washing machines. Fine power control allows all sort of things ICE motors can't do. Anyhoo, gotta go I'm actually yawning 🥱 here. Work and sleep and all that jazz. Blame this site if I'm into rockets and EVs:

https://www.teslarati.com/

It's very exciting that batteries are finally big enough to sit on and powerful enough to cause G forces.

No one worried about the grid when US pop. increased by hundreds of millions and started to buy washing machines. Fine power control allows all sort of things ICE motors can't do. Anyhoo, gotta go I'm actually yawning 🥱 here. Work and sleep and all that jazz. Blame this site if I'm into rockets and EVs:

https://www.teslarati.com/

Our Grid will never be able to handle a Full Load In EVs in a Certain Person's lifetime that pushes them ... He is about ready to go full dementia

Sure it will....unless everyone is charging their cars during peak heating or air conditioning loads in a given location. Mine is programmed to recharge starting at 12:30 AM. That might not be optimum from a grid load point of view for the dead of winter around here. Otherwise it's fine. If Puget Sound Energy wants me to shift to some other time, I can do that. With normal usage patterns it's only charging for a couple of hours most nights, anyway.

I would design it so an accelerometer would detect negative acceleration and trigger the brake lites.

There are aftermarket brake light controllers for motorcycles that work this was. Engine braking gives you a flashing brake light: brake application gives you a solid brake light.

Very visible.

Our Grid will never be able to handle a Full Load In EVs in a Certain Person's lifetime that pushes them ... He is about ready to go full dementia

First, I don't care about what the grid can do any more than when the numbers of washing machines, immigrants, houses and buildings skyrocketed. I'll be using less gasoline personally, so that's less grid demand from the producers and distributers that use to bring me gasoline.

Second, I don't get into politics.

Third, my interest in EVs is unrelated to any promoter, except I appreciate them.

🔥⚡🔥⚡🔥⚡🔥⚡🔥⚡

I don't remember if I posted this:

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about that. I am not sure the near future grid will be able to handle the current load without any EV's. (My opinion, not a fact statement).

I'll be riding my bike on a block running an old car alternator/generator to charge a 12 volt battery to power a lite bulb on a string and wait in line for Soylent Orange as Green was sold out already :D

I wouldn't worry about that. I am not sure the near future grid will be able to handle the current load without any EV's. (My opinion, not a fact statement).
It has been reported in my state that summer demand this year will exceed our powerplant capacity for the first time, they are relying on output from wind and solar to make up the difference. I don't know if our powerplant capacity is reduced, I know that some powerplants have been closed over the past 10 years, or if the difference is due to increased population.

It has been reported in my state that summer demand this year will exceed our powerplant capacity for the first time, they are relying on output from wind and solar to make up the difference. I don't know if our powerplant capacity is reduced, I know that some powerplants have been closed over the past 10 years, or if the difference is due to increased population.
Electrical power demand increases somewhat proportionately to population growth and gdp per capita.

The Chevy Volt does not turn on the brake light when regen braking. Both my Gen1 and Gen2. The Gen2 has a regen paddle behind the steering wheel that is quite effective - I seldom ever touch the brake pedal except for the last 10 feet or so when approaching a stop sign.

As for the brake pedal... My Gen1 didn't have the regen paddle. So I hooked up an OBD reader that could detect at what point the brake pedal travel transitioned from regen to physical brakes. With practice, I could feel it. To save the brake lining, I'd press the pedal just to that limit, unless I needed more retardation. In 70k miles, it never needed new brake lining.

Hans.

Back