ICEs and EVs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was basing what I said about battery longevity on Hybrids.

Dave F.
Batteries keep getting better. The more recent the EV or hybrid, the better the battery. All the brands offer EVs and hybrids now and none of them wants to burn. Expensive sure but in the same ball park as what people pay in gasoline to drive the same distance (100,000 or 200,000 miles or whatever).

Batteries keep getting better. The more recent the EV or hybrid, the better the battery.
That's what people like to say but do we really know? I've been using devices with Lithium Ion batteries for a long time and I don't see them getting any better. I've seen some actually get worse. We all know that batteries lose capacity with time, in devices such as my laptop computers, my cordless drills, my cellphone, flashlight and camera. I've had problems with batteries in all of them. This means that a Tesla will eventually have less range than it has when new. People on the internet will say that Tesla has better batteries than other companies. Then you find where someone has pulled a battery pack out of a Tesla then they took it apart and found it filled with 18650 cells, the same cells that are used in my flashlights and cordless drill. I found someone who pulled the battery pack out of a new Rivian and took it apart- filled with 18650 cells. I'm sure that some manufacturers of 18650 cells are higher quality than others, but the technology is the same. Tesla may have better management software for batteries but are the batteries themselves really any better?

That's what people like to say but do we really know? I've been using devices with Lithium Ion batteries for a long time and I don't see them getting any better. I've seen some actually get worse. We all know that batteries lose capacity with time, in devices such as my laptop computers, my cordless drills, my cellphone, flashlight and camera. I've had problems with batteries in all of them. This means that a Tesla will eventually have less range than it has when new. People on the internet will say that Tesla has better batteries than other companies. Then you find where someone has pulled a battery pack out of a Tesla then they took it apart and found it filled with 18650 cells, the same cells that are used in my flashlights and cordless drill. I found someone who pulled the battery pack out of a new Rivian and took it apart- filled with 18650 cells. I'm sure that some manufacturers of 18650 cells are higher quality than others, but the technology is the same. Tesla may have better management software for batteries but are the batteries themselves really any better?
It really depends on design and manufacturing choices. My experience with lithium polymer batteries in the hobby market is that the race to drive prices down has led to lousy lifespans. I have some Korean Kokam LiPoly packs that are over 15 years old (from back before we even understood how important balance charging was) that are just fine, and I’ve had some batteries from HobbyKing that lasted two years before they puffed up — both treated similarly.

18650 is simply a size designation. It says nothing about how Panasonic (who makes cells for/with Tesla) or other makers pack that particular 18mm diameter 65mm long can. So your flashlight may well have cells the same physical size as Tesla used to use (before going to the 46mm diameter cells they use now) but that means nothing more than just that — they’re the same size. What’s the difference between dollar store AAs and genuine Duracell AAs? Qutie a bit in my experience. Same story with lithium-based cells.

Your experience with laptops and and tools really depends on what the vendors of the devices and the batteries decided was important. I have seen/used third party Apple laptop batteries that are less expensive, but last less well (again, similarly treated) than OEM batteries. OTOH, my Ryobi 40V string trimmer’s original battery is about to enter its 7th year of use and it was doing just fine when last used in the fall. I MAY try a third-party battery for it or the mower when that battery dies, but I will be prepared to trade that lower cost for shorter life and/or lower performance in use if I do. Our experience with third-party batteries for our Dyson stick vacuum has been decidedly mixed…..

Last edited:
Some batteries last longer than others, but low quality ones still exist. The capacity (or range) over time can "easily" be measured and records are meant to be broken.

I'm not sure what you're calling a problem. Not sure what else you'd expect other than 18650 cells. However, Tesla is now making 4680 cells which are quicker to produce.

Labs have all kinds of different batteries with different propoerties and it will be interesting to see which ones make it to market. Solid state, sodium, etc. Here's an example:

https://lithium-news.com/new-battery-is-cheaper-than-lithium-ion-with-four-times-the-capacity/

Not sure what else you'd expect other than 18650 cells.
Have you seen the advertisement for the Mercedes that runs on AA batteries? I was expecting something better than that. IOW I was expecting something better than Panasonic 18650 cells. All consumer devices- cellphones, flashlights, laptop computers, power tools have the problem with reducing power capacity as they get older. Tesla fans claim that this definitely does not happen with them. If they use the same batteries as other consumer devices then it will definitely happen with them. Tesla has a lot of engineering ability but do they have more than the company that makes Samsung phones? the company that makes iphones? the companies that make Dell laptops? hp laptops? ASUS laptops? Surely if Tesla knows how to make batteries last much longer wouldn't one of these other companies have figured it out too?

The other thing I would expect other than 18650 cells is some kind of cell that is larger. If you have to make a vehicle run off of nearly 1000 smaller cells that is a lot of wiring, connections and container structure for all of those small batteries. I understand another problem with EVs is that if one of the small cells goes bad it knocks out a whole block of power. It seems that if they had bigger cells they could be manufactured to be more reliable.

Have you seen the advertisement for the Mercedes that runs on AA batteries? I was expecting something better than that. IOW I was expecting something better than Panasonic 18650 cells. All consumer devices- cellphones, flashlights, laptop computers, power tools have the problem with reducing power capacity as they get older. Tesla fans claim that this definitely does not happen with them. If they use the same batteries as other consumer devices then it will definitely happen with them. Tesla has a lot of engineering ability but do they have more than the company that makes Samsung phones? the company that makes iphones? the companies that make Dell laptops? hp laptops? ASUS laptops? Surely if Tesla knows how to make batteries last much longer wouldn't one of these other companies have figured it out too?

The other thing I would expect other than 18650 cells is some kind of cell that is larger. If you have to make a vehicle run off of nearly 1000 smaller cells that is a lot of wiring, connections and container structure for all of those small batteries. I understand another problem with EVs is that if one of the small cells goes bad it knocks out a whole block of power. It seems that if they had bigger cells they could be manufactured to be more reliable.
I'm not sure why you're hung up on the cell size. Putting cells in parallel lowers the resistance of the pack. Which lowers the heat dissipation and makes the whole deal more efficient. There's a trade off in weight and complexity of BMS/pack build, but a large cell will typically have higher losses to heat vs two (or more) smaller cells in parallel with the same total capacity and chemisty for a given load.

Also, I'm not sure who is saying batteries don't lose capacity as they age. Of course they do, but if the capacity loss is managable over a long period of time the car is still more than usable. There's a lot of incorrect assumptions in your posts. Swapping a larger failed cell isn't likely to be any easier or cheaper, especially considering most packs are assembled with smaller sub packs that can be swapped and the old sub pack can be refurbished and used again. And for that matter a cell in a parallel circuit that fails isn't a show stopper, where one of your big cells in series failing is a big problem. Most packs are also fused and will kick out a bad cell if it shorts, if it fails open you lose capacity but you can still use your car. Where are you getting your reliability data?

Last edited:
Right now the biggest obstacle to EV business is battery cost. There is a ton of capital equipment already fully depreciated to zero to manufacture 18650 cans. The fastest path to manufacturing EV's now is to use that capital. In the future the big 4 (Ford, GM, VW) will most likely develop their own battery platforms. GM has already done this with their Ultium battery platform. The result is an $105,000 base price Silverado EV.

Have you seen the advertisement for the Mercedes that runs on AA batteries?
No.

I was expecting something better than that. IOW I was expecting something better than Panasonic 18650 cells. All consumer devices- cellphones, flashlights, laptop computers, power tools have the problem with reducing power capacity as they get older. Tesla fans claim that this definitely does not happen with them.
My Hyundai is 3 years old and has yet to show a range loss. What those Tesla fans are saying is they haven't seen a range loss yet. We all know it will happen, but no one is quite sure when. It's a curve like this but we can't know for sure what happens at the 15 year mark until 15 years have passed.

tesla-battery-degradation-1.png
https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/tesla-battery-degradation/
If they use the same batteries as other consumer devices then it will definitely happen with them.
Of course, but battery management is better in cars.

Tesla has a lot of engineering ability but do they have more than the company that makes Samsung phones?
Panasonic is one of Tesla's main suppliers. It would be interesting to know their specs but I don't think they're available to just anyone.

the company that makes iphones? the companies that make Dell laptops? hp laptops? ASUS laptops? Surely if Tesla knows how to make batteries last much longer wouldn't one of these other companies have figured it out too?
For one thing, cars have systems to manage battery conditions like their temperature. You wouldn't be able to fit these systems in a phone or computer. There's cooling and heating involved.

The other thing I would expect other than 18650 cells is some kind of cell that is larger. If you have to make a vehicle run off of nearly 1000 smaller cells that is a lot of wiring, connections and container structure for all of those small batteries.
That's a good point, and Tesla as just last year introduced their own 4680 cells, which are bigger, require less wiring, and are quicker to produce.

I understand another problem with EVs is that if one of the small cells goes bad it knocks out a whole block of power. It seems that if they had bigger cells they could be manufactured to be more reliable.
I'm not sure about that. I had a few cells replaced (under warranty) but car still ran as usual. All it did was turn on the "service car soon" once in while. So they were "bad" I suppose, but it wasn't catastrophic. If they don't go bad, it's not really a problem. That's part of what I mean when I say they keep getting better: quality control for mass production is improving.

Right now the biggest obstacle to EV business is battery cost. There is a ton of capital equipment already fully depreciated to zero to manufacture 18650 cans. The fastest path to manufacturing EV's now is to use that capital. In the future the big 4 (Ford, GM, VW) will most likely develop their own battery platforms. GM has already done this with their Ultium battery platform. The result is an $105,000 base price Silverado EV.
Good point, and cost can also be adjusted for supply/demand and the fact that users don't need to buy gasoline. A car with a battery is worth the cost of a car + the cost of a battery.

Last edited:
Cost can also be adjusted for supply/demand and the fact that users don't need to buy gasoline. A car with a battery is worth the cost of a car + the cost of a battery.

For what it's worth, VW also has a battery platform:

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/modular-electric-drive-matrix-meb-3677
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/stories/the-meb-is-a-decisive-plus-point-5904

Cost can also be adjusted for supply/demand and the fact that users don't need to buy gasoline. A car with a battery is worth the cost of a car + the cost of a battery.

For what it's worth, VW also has a battery platform:

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/modular-electric-drive-matrix-meb-3677
https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/stories/the-meb-is-a-decisive-plus-point-5904
I wonder if the suspension compents are going to be standardized across models like the MQB platform was?

I understand another problem with EVs is that if one of the small cells goes bad it knocks out a whole block of power. It seems that if they had bigger cells they could be manufactured to be more reliable.
I understand that a problem with ICE vehicles is that if one piston goes bad, it knocks out the whole engine. It seems that if you could have fewer and bigger pistons, the car could be a lot more reliable. Or maybe you could just disconnect the bad piston from the crankshaft so that you can keep driving.

But seriously, cell size, shape, and power depend on the manufacturer. As I understand it, when Tesla was starting up, there wasn't really anything other than the 18650 cans available for lithium batteries, so they went with scads of those. My Leaf uses cells that are more like the size of a pad of notebook paper. I don't know what cell geometry others use. The nice thing about the pad of paper size is that it's easier to get efficient active cooling since it has a lot of surface area.

That Wankel range extender has been rumored for some time. As a fan of the Wankel as well as EVs I am very interested to see where this goes and such.

I’ve owned two rotary cars and miss my Rx-2 still.

Having once twirled spanners for an RX-3/RX-4 racing team I miss rotaries. Not the most economical engine though.

Having once twirled spanners for an RX-3/RX-4 racing team I miss rotaries. Not the most economical engine though.
From my recollection the rotary engine takes up less space than a comparable ICE producing the same horsepower. So why not a rotary in a hybrid, instead of just as a range extender?
Electric for day to day driving, the rotary kicks in only in the rare case when your battery charge is depleted on an extra long daily drive.
Seems a waste to have a rotary engine that doesn't actually turn the wheels.

Do rotary engines have a sweet spot for fuel economy in terms of RPM or power output? If they do, they could be a reasonable range extender that only operates at the best efficiency point to charge the battery.

From my recollection the rotary engine takes up less space than a comparable ICE producing the same horsepower. So why not a rotary in a hybrid, instead of just as a range extender?

The basic single rotor Wankel is a very compact engine. Also very light (247 lb/112 kg) for the power it produces (235 BHP), and most of them absolutely scream in terms of revs. The basic Mazda 13-B twin rotor was redlined at 8,000 rpm. May be good choice as a range extender, as is the Sarich derived orbital engine, the design of which is now owned by GM (I think).

Fuel economy is not the rotary's strong point.

Do rotary engines have a sweet spot for fuel economy in terms of RPM or power output? If they do, they could be a reasonable range extender that only operates at the best efficiency point to charge the battery.

Good question.

Mazda never really 'dropped' the rotary - they have continued to beaver away at the design almost constantly. It's fair to assume that as a range extender the boffins have found a trade off point where light weight and power output is offset against a somewhat thirsty engine.

Must do some more reading, methinks. 🤔

Mazda never really 'dropped' the rotary - they have continued to beaver away at the design almost constantly. It's fair to assume that as a range extender the boffins have found a trade off point where light weight and power output is offset against a somewhat thirsty engine.

Must do some more reading, methinks. 🤔
That's a good point--they're not just designing an engine; they're designing a system. It also helps that a plug-in hybrid with range extender is carrying the engine around all the time, whether it's running or not. That gives an extra benefit to a lightweight range extender since many (most?) of the miles driven on a plug-in hybrid will be electric-only.

I’m sure there’s a sweet spot just as there is for reciprocating piston engines. I’m more than a little curious to see if this range extender is a different rotor size than the three they made before (30, 35 or 40 cubic inches per rotor for the 10A, 12A and 13B engines, respectively). I would think a fuel-injected single rotor 10A might be about the right size for a range extender, power-wise and it would be quite compact, packaging-wise.

As I’ve noted before, driving an EV brought back that feeling I used to get when the back two barrels in the carb in my Rx-2 opened up. They were vacuum-operated, opened as the engine broke through 4000 RPM on the way up and produced quite the extra rush of power which seemed to just build all the way to the 7000 RPM redline.

However, for serviceability, Mazda will have to package this range extender so that the spark plugs aren’t too hard to reach. A Wankel is hell for spark plugs as they never really get a chance to cool off. Even with multiple ground electrodes and fancy materials, they still wear relatively quickly — or at least they did the last time I paid attention to that detail.

Last edited:
I wonder if the suspension compents are going to be standardized across models like the MQB platform was?
Oddly enough, I found suspensions fascinating when I had my previous car and had to replace it bit by bit, buying parts online to receive them home before bringing everything to a mechanic. But since I switched car, I don't think about suspensions anymore. I don't even know what's under my Hyundai. All I think about now is the battery. 😆

⚡ 🔥⚡🔥⚡🔥⚡🔥

Pete Gruber here seems to be an expert on old Teslas and gets to see battery degradation first hand starting with the original Roadster. I think it's ok place for get info on that.

Last edited:
However, for serviceability, Mazda will have to package this range extender so that the spark plugs aren’t too hard to reach. A Wankel is hell for spark plugs as they never really get a chance to cool off. Even with multiple ground electrodes and fancy materials, they still wear relatively quickly — or at least they did the last time I paid attention to that detail.
At least with a range extender, you can put the thing pretty much anywhere you want (subject to exhaust lines and being kind of near the charger to reduce DC losses). And spark plug wear per mile will be less of an issue per mile overall since fewer miles are driven with the ICE on.

Understood. But with today's fashion of hiding the workings of the car under all sorts of covers and such, it's still something I will certainly look for should I walk into a Mazda dealer to look at an MX-30 with a range extender...which I will very likely do if they come to this area. Along those lines, I wonder if maybe an hours meter on the ICE portion might be a good way to keep track of maintenance intervals. I wonder how the Chevy Volt handles that. The plugs on my rotary Mazdas were very easy to get to — short reach and nothing to speak of in the way of hands or tools.

I've been trying to get over my aversion to having both an electric and an ICE power train in the same vehicle. Even though that seems to be compromising both forms of motive power, plug-in hybrids are proving to be pretty reliable, it seems. So even if they seem to me to be overly complicated, good execution can overcome the inherent disadvantage of having more parts to break. Or so it would appear.

Realistically, in the next, say, 5-10 years, a stable of vehicles that includes one pure EV and one plug-in hybrid that has 30-50 miles of EV-only range would be an ideal combination for my wife and I and the way we use our cars. At the moment we have a pure EV with a relatively short range and a pure ICE car (which happens to be a Mazda) but if we're to get off gasoline for most of our driving, yet still be able to visit family (and/or attend rocket events) in the Southwest, we will still need ICE capability for some time to come (or the pure EV will have to be a Tesla because of their much better road-trip infrastructure, which is not where I'm leaning right now). In the next 5-10 years we will likely want to replace both of the existing vehicles. But there's no hurry.

Added: according to the article @Cape Byron linked to, the reveal of the rotary range extender MX-30 will be in Brussels on Friday. Hopefully we'll get a little bit of actual detail then. Interesting logo:

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 3.52.19 PM.png

Last edited:
I don’t think Mazda would mind one of their products being called “supremely weird” at all.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how that “variable valve timing” bit is supposed to work but with two sets of side ports and a throttle of sorts on one of them, I can see how they could certainly tailor the mixture in a different way than just using, say, multiple fuel injectors.

I’ll be eagerly awaiting the details come Friday.

The other thing besides the plugs is that — unless they’re doing something wildly different to lubricate the apex seals in this range extender engine — it must consume oil….which will be another thing not every hybrid driver (or even ICE driver) will be thinking about. I imagine not thinking about this probably led to the premature demise of many an Rx-7 or Rx-8’s engine (never mind in the earlier cars).

I posted over in the comment-on-photos thread about the picture of an oil can spout that I used to buy nine quarts of oil every time I changed the oil in my Rx-2. The oil sump held five. By the time I’d used the other four, I knew it was time to change the oil again. It was a basic fact of routine operation of the car and perfectly normal. But that was forty+ years ago…people’s expectations are certainly different now around fluid consumption and the need to pay attention to it.

I understand that a problem with ICE vehicles is that if one piston goes bad, it knocks out the whole engine. It seems that if you could have fewer and bigger pistons, the car could be a lot more reliable. Or maybe you could just disconnect the bad piston from the crankshaft so that you can keep driving.
I've worked on a lot of ICE cars, I've seen holes burned in pistons (in which case the car keeps driving), and I've seen pistons come apart (which pretty much kills the engine immediately).

What I was referring to WRT cells in batteries- I was watching a video by a company that refurbs Tesla batteries. Working from memory so I might not get everything straight. The company buys the older Teslas, a vehicle that would be worth $20k in working condition but with a compromised battery they are worth $10k. Then they fix the battery. They have software that analyzes the battery which is composed of multiple sections called "blades". A bad cell will kill a blade, or part of a blade. So they identify which cell is bad, remove the blade, replace the cell, and restore the value to the vehicle.

I was watching another video where someone took the battery pack out of a Rivian and they were disassembling it. The Rivian was also composed of small cells, right about 1,000 of them. I don't recall if they were 18650 or something else. The funny thing was that the entire battery pack is encapsulated in epoxy. I don't recall any provisions for cooling though. This seemed like a bad design- impossible to replace defective cells. If you must encapsulate the cells, why not do it in groups of 10 or 20 so you can replace some of those easily.

I've worked on a lot of ICE cars, I've seen holes burned in pistons (in which case the car keeps driving), and I've seen pistons come apart (which pretty much kills the engine immediately).

What I was referring to WRT cells in batteries- I was watching a video by a company that refurbs Tesla batteries. Working from memory so I might not get everything straight. The company buys the older Teslas, a vehicle that would be worth $20k in working condition but with a compromised battery they are worth $10k. Then they fix the battery. They have software that analyzes the battery which is composed of multiple sections called "blades". A bad cell will kill a blade, or part of a blade. So they identify which cell is bad, remove the blade, replace the cell, and restore the value to the vehicle.

I was watching another video where someone took the battery pack out of a Rivian and they were disassembling it. The Rivian was also composed of small cells, right about 1,000 of them. I don't recall if they were 18650 or something else. The funny thing was that the entire battery pack is encapsulated in epoxy. I don't recall any provisions for cooling though. This seemed like a bad design- impossible to replace defective cells. If you must encapsulate the cells, why not do it in groups of 10 or 20 so you can replace some of those easily.
That's mostly fair--the time we had a valve go bad, the van still drove on 5 cylinders. The unburned gas going by on the drive back from Montana did kill the catalytic converter though.

I was mainly riffing a little because a lot of the naysayers latch on to this idea that you're definitely going to have to replace the battery in 7 years and it's going to cost some obscene amount of money, while completely ignoring the fact that ICE cars often need some pretty expensive maintenance after 7-10 years too.

There should be a right to repair/ability to repair set up for EV batteries. I'm not a fan of unmaintainable parts.

I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how that “variable valve timing” bit is supposed to work but with two sets of side ports and a throttle of sorts on one of them, I can see how they could certainly tailor the mixture in a different way than just using, say, multiple fuel injectors.

Ah, we used to race the buggers and I can't make sense of that patent either. As @boatgeek alluded to earlier, I think this is an effort, and probably a good one, to keep the engine in the sweet spot for use as a generator. Just not quite sure how they are doing it...

I know Mazda was working with high end ceramics for rotor seals, so there may be some improvements in that area.

Oil consumption - The rotary is essentially a two-stroke engine*. Oil used for seal lubrication is burned in the exhaust at extremely high temperatures. As an aside, as a two-stroke they respond very well to an expansion chamber type exhaust system. I worked/raced with a guy who designed an expansion chamber system for a monster port RX-3 which was promising but extremely loud!

Needless to say, I thought it was awesome, but it did take up a lot of room in the cockpit...

*Yes, it is. We can discuss it over a beer at your place.

Latest posts

Back