Ibis Build - Shrockets by Apogee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've had this one in the pile for over a year now. I think these Shrox designed rockets are real cool looking. Let's see how it goes. Seems that Apogee improved the design by making through body fins and the decals are stickers and not water slide decals. Take a look at all the included parts. I'm going to CWF the fins and give a good sanding.

Attachments

• Ibis 01.jpg
    Ibis 01.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Ibis 02.jpg
    Ibis 02.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 147
Fun build and I really like the design of the rocket. Apogee supplied more than enough Kevlar shock cord. Thank you Apogee. Nice that they did not save pennies on the Kevlar. I used CA around the top of the tube hopefully to cut down on rips. One thing that surprised me was the fins not aligning with each other after gluing. See the light coming through in the picture. I found that on this low power rocket, the through body laser cut slots for fins are more of a hindrance than helpful. If the slots were not there, I'd slide part of the fin back to fit. At the end of the day I applied CWF quite liberally to all joints and voids. I'll sand after drying overnight.

Attachments

• Ibis 04.jpg
    Ibis 04.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Ibis 05.jpg
    Ibis 05.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 124
  • Ibis 06.jpg
    Ibis 06.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Ibis 07.jpg
    Ibis 07.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Ibis 08.jpg
    Ibis 08.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Ibis 09.jpg
    Ibis 09.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
This is a nice looking rocket. I'll be following to see how it all goes together.

-Bob

Shrox's designs are generally beautiful and that one is no exception. Looks great so far.

I think Apogee may have gone overboard with the slotting though, particularly for those two-piece fins. I can see no reason to have each piece slotted separately. In any event, the *only* way IMHO to ever have proper fitting multi-piece fins is to check fit and sand as necessary before assembly, and then sand as necessary after assembly. You can't trust laser fitting or pre-slotted tubes or whatever.

Smoothing over all the joints with CWF certainly solves the problem as well.

The CWF worked pretty well. Used my air compressor to blow the model off after sanding. One quick coat of white primer and I'll wait an hour or so to wet sand. Repeat.
Oh. And to mention, I'm sure that Tim at Apogee ran this rocket through all sorts of simulators but, I only used half of the nose weight in the cone. Seemed excessive. We'll see on flight day.

Attachments

• Ibis 10.jpg
    Ibis 10.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 86
  • Ibis 11.jpg
    Ibis 11.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
Back