I would love to build a 2X version of the Estes "Soaring Eagle" from the early '80s. Any plans or info out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the late 1970's, I made some gliders sort of similar. I used polyester lining. Very supple/flexible. I think a far better choice than ripstop nylon which is sorta stiff and can hold a "set" of fold creases..

I've been looking at nosecones to see if there is anything close to the one used on the original Soaring Eagle. Does anyone knw of one that looks like the original. Also, if anyone has pictures of a Soaring Eagle please post them, no avian photos please. :cool:

Does anyone knw of one that looks like the original

The original used a PNC-50SP.
For an upscale to BT-55, you can use a PNC-55EJ or a PNC-55B.
EJ is hard to find, the B is the same nose cone used in the Cosmic Interceptor, Interceptor E and the PS II Trajector.
For a 2X upscale (approx. 1.9" dia.) I don't know of any production nose cones with canopies that size.
Probably 3D printing one is the easiest way to go.
Drawing up the file is the hard part.
Check Thingiverse and Shapeway, maybe someone already did it.

The original used a PNC-50SP.
For an upscale to BT-55, you can use a PNC-55EJ or a PNC-55B.
EJ is hard to find, the B is the same nose cone used in the Cosmic Interceptor, Interceptor E and the PS II Trajector.
For a 2X upscale (approx. 1.9" dia.) I don't know of any production nose cones with canopies that size.
Probably 3D printing one is the easiest way to go.
Drawing up the file is the hard part.
Check Thingiverse and Shapeway, maybe someone already did it.
@kuririn , thanks. I found this on Sirius Rocketry.

https://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/moldin-oldies-pnc-50sp-147.html

I did a print of the NC-50SP nose cone and upscaled it to fit a BT-55 tube. It came out good.
The fit to the BT-55 tube is good and looks fine. The length is 8" inch.

Attachments

• Nose Cone 1.jpg
    Nose Cone 1.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Nose Cone 2.jpg
    Nose Cone 2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 14
I used the STL from Thingiverse. I used PLA for this run but if I was going to do a nose cone for the upscale glider I would use ABS. For the slicer I use Cura. I upscale the original NC-50SP from Thingiverse to 136.21.

Regarding nose cones, what are your goals? To build a cool swing wing glider that works like the original, or to build a 2x doppelganger? If the former, nose cone selection isn't critical to flight characteristics. If the latter, then you will need to follow the above suggestions.

I am obviously in the non-purist camp.

Do what brings you the most joy!

Regarding nose cones, what are your goals? To build a cool swing wing glider that works like the original, or to build a 2x doppelganger? If the former, nose cone selection isn't critical to flight characteristics. If the latter, then you will need to follow the above suggestions.

I am obviously in the non-purist camp.

Do what brings you the most joy!
@BABAR I plan on building mine to original scale. I'll try printing the nosecone & if it doesn't turn out well I'll order one from Sirius Rocketry. One of the things I don't like is that the shipping on single items is sometimes as much as the item itself.

I've been looking at the Soaring Eagle plans and the wings are stored in the "pouch" which is a rectangle of something. Can anyone tell me what kind of material this is. It really doesn't say in the instructions. Thanks.

@BABAR I plan on building mine to original scale. I'll try printing the nosecone & if it doesn't turn out well I'll order one from Sirius Rocketry. One of the things I don't like is that the shipping on single items is sometimes as much as the item itself.
Great!

FWIW, if you get it to perform well it’s gonna be a great rocket no matter what nose cone you use!

Back