I would love to build a 2X version of the Estes "Soaring Eagle" from the early '80s. Any plans or info out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just like to build a normal-size one. This would be a good bring-back kit for ESTES, but I know that's not going to happen.

That rocket was my first public launch. I think I was in 6th or 7th grade and launched out in the parking lot for science class. Flight was great, as was the glide back down. I would love to build another for old times sake.

Yeah, I knew that but I'm sure there are those that might want to just clone a stock model.
The stock model is hard enough to clone. I imagine a 2X will be a real challenge. The stock model is a nice size.
I built one when it first came out and it flew nice, but after a few moves it got lost and I would like to have another one. At the moment I'm working on a Scissor Wing Transport. The two together would make a great pair.
The hardest part to clone for the Soaring Eagle I would think would be the plastic wing sheet. Have any suggestions?
I have thought about using a large plastic parachute.

I was thinking about cutting up one of those white plastic shopping bags, not the thin ones from the grocery store but the thicker plastic ones. Then Sharpie'ing in the deltas.
P.S. Or a thicker white garbage or kitchen bag.

Last edited:
I’ve never been into the gliders. I really like this one though.
I would love to clone or even follow along on an upscale.

... At the moment I'm working on a Scissor Wing Transport. The two together would make a great pair.
I built a scissor wing transport as a kid and failed miserably. I screwed up the launch lug alignment and it didn't even get off the pad because it stuck on the launch rod. A built a second one a few years ago and it flew really well. Amazing how several decades of experience can change outcomes.

Good idea on the kite nylon. Several places sell lightweight 3/4 oz ripstop nylon, which should work well on on this upscale.

This model will be of a substantial size, with the extended wingspan being 48” and length being 42”. Looking to be a full E to F powered model.

I have thought about a smaller 1.3X scale up to make one about the right size for a D12.

Last edited:
I was thinking about cutting up one of those white plastic shopping bags, not the thin ones from the grocery store but the thicker plastic ones. Then Sharpie'ing in the deltas.
P.S. Or a thicker white garbage or kitchen bag.
The Hobby Lobby shopping bags are pretty tough but still thin. You’d either have to find an uncolored section or integrate their colors into your plan. Shopping mall bags may have larger white sections, they tend to be tougher than your Walmart or Grocery store bags. I am thinking some store bought kites might be the right plastic and already have a red white and blue pattern that would look good, although not identical to original. How faithful do you want to be to the OOP model decor?

Back