I wonder if Hobby Lobby will try to use a 40% off coupon to pay the fine?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean they won't be restocking the ancient Sumerian cuneiform section of the store? I've been waiting for some new tablets to come in.

Not to quibble, but the new Android has better aps.....jes' sayin'.....

True. But 5,000 years ago, when they were new, people used to stand in line for days waiting for the realease of these tablets --- the cuneiform is AMAZING, and the clay is top of the line!

Love the title of the thread. Realized that we may be the only subset of people who really "get" the coupon reference though... My wife needed me to explain it until it wasn't funny anymore.

Anybody ever read Snow Crash ? For some reason I find this thread direction just a bit humorous.

The title is very clever. I have used the 40% coupon for my kind of stuff, often.

And that standing in line for the new tablets to come out, I wonder if they had proprietary apps and not open sourced. From the results, I'd guess they did have the proprietary apps.

What were they actually going to do with thousands of those things?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I believe they are looking for and/or preserving ancient biblical manuscripts. Sounds like they weren't paying attention to what the people they hired for this were doing as far as shipping and customs compliance. I give them credit for admitting their mistake and paying the fine.

Sounds like they weren't paying attention to what the people they hired for this were doing as far as shipping and customs compliance.

The hobby lobby president was informed by his legal advisors back in 2010 that the artifacts' origins were in a definite grey area as far as legality was concerned, and they should have done more due diligence in making sure that everything was on the up and up. Instead, it seems more like they just went ahead with the assumption that "no one would care about this" or that they wouldn't get caught.

On a related note- this is the first time I've ever heard of the department of homeland security doing anything vaguely useful.

When the CHICOMS have good prices on prison built home decor items you buy them. When the Caliphate has good prices on their recently acquired stock of heretic collectibles you buy them. Those insurgent boys don't need the 40% coupon for their motors!

Keep up the good work Hobby Lobby, you sure keep me on the straight and narrow path, one purchase with one coupon at a time.

No matter who you are, pride can and will find a way to bite you in the butt. Don't ask me how I know that.
And, yes, I'm enjoying the humor here. :)

When the CHICOMS have good prices on prison built home decor items you buy them. When the Caliphate has good prices on their recently acquired stock of heretic collectibles you buy them. Those insurgent boys don't need the 40% coupon for their motors!

Keep up the good work Hobby Lobby, you sure keep me on the straight and narrow path, one purchase with one coupon at a time.

In everything it does, Hobby Lobby is guided by one overarching principle --- what would Jesus smuggle?

Summon the Keymaster of Gozer.
Gozer the Traveler will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. Durring the rectification of the Vuldrenaii, the Traveler came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of coarse in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrix Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a gaint Slor! Many Shrubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day I can tell you.

Gozer the Traveler will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. Durring the rectification of the Vuldrenaii, the Traveler came as a very large and moving Torb. Then of coarse in the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrix Supplicants, they chose a new form for him, that of a gaint Slor! Many Shrubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day I can tell you.
But what about the plumbus?!

The hobby lobby president was informed by his legal advisors back in 2010 that the artifacts' origins were in a definite grey area as far as legality was concerned, and they should have done more due diligence in making sure that everything was on the up and up. Instead, it seems more like they just went ahead with the assumption that "no one would care about this" or that they wouldn't get caught.

On a related note- this is the first time I've ever heard of the department of homeland security doing anything vaguely useful.

I read another article on this. Keep in mind that the prosecutors are saying these things. The president of Hobby Lobby went to the United Arab Emirates to personally review these tablets. The tablets were intentionally mislabeled to get through Customs and shipped to individual Hobby Lobby stores. If true, it sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing.

I read another article on this. Keep in mind that the prosecutors are saying these things. The president of Hobby Lobby went to the United Arab Emirates to personally review these tablets. The tablets were intentionally mislabeled to get through Customs and shipped to individual Hobby Lobby stores. If true, it sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing.

Moral values come to mind.

I know where they can get a good deal on an Ark. Dinosaurs included!

In a statement, Hobby Lobby President Steve Green said the company cooperated with the government and "should have exercised more oversight and carefully questioned how the acquisitions were handled."

Green said Hobby Lobby began acquiring a variety of historical Bibles and other artifacts in 2009.

"Our passion for the Bible continues, and we will do all that we can to support the efforts to conserve items that will help illuminate and enhance our understanding of this Great Book," Green said.

They're very passionate about the Bible. Apparently they're not that passionate about the stuff inside the book that tells them not to lie or steal, but the book itself is great.

Last edited:
They're very passionate about the Bible. Apparently they're not that passionate about the stuff inside the book that tells them not to lie or steal, but the book itself is great.

Parts of the book were good, but the pacing was a bit off, and there are some issues with internal consistency. I think with a little work, it could make a good movie!

A museum about the history of the Bible could be pretty interesting if it were done the right way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back