I wish Estes still made this rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 439402

This is a 29mm Arcon rocket. I put too much angle to make up for the wind. A 4 secong delay would had worked. It Lawn Darted.The good news is I can repair the rocket back to what it was like.
Great looking launch! That sucks about the lawn dart landing. The wind is a cruel mistress in this hobby. I’m glad it has a chance to fly again. On your YouTube video, you mentioned it was an upscale Centuri design?

We lost some,we crashed some and some came back.We still had fun no matter what. This is a very big grassy field that is 1/2 mile wide by about 1 mile long. We have permission to use it any time we want until mid March 2021. If any of you live near this location and would like to fly with us, let me know. It's in Mappsburg Virginia about 10 minutes north of Exmore Virginia where we live. A nice rural quite place.

Attachments

• rocket forum 1.mp4
    5 MB
  • rocket forum 2.mp4
    8.1 MB
Great looking launch! That sucks about the lawn dart landing. The wind is a cruel mistress in this hobby. I’m glad it has a chance to fly again. On your YouTube video, you mentioned it was an upscale Centuri design?
Yes, the Arcon came out in the late 60's. It was made by Estes not Centuri. ( my mistake on manufacturer)This one that you saw Lawn Dart is actually the remains of the first Arcon Hi upscale I did in the 90's. In 1996 , It went up without the booster on a reload and it Cato'd off the pad and burned up on its way down. The black fin booster section that went to it , I joined in a tube and new nose cone to make it an Arcon with no booster. That's two upscale Arcon rockets that never flew right. I am determined the next one that goes up will be succsessful. Have a Great Thanksgiving Atjoe

Attachments

• arcon estes.jpg
    arcon estes.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 16
Yes, the Arcon came out in the late 60's. It was made by Estes not Centuri. ( my mistake on manufacturer)This one that you saw Lawn Dart is actually the remains of the first Arcon Hi upscale I did in the 90's. In 1996 , It went up without the booster on a reload and it Cato'd off the pad and burned up on its way down. The black fin booster section that went to it , I joined in a tube and new nose cone to make it an Arcon with no booster. That's two upscale Arcon rockets that never flew right. I am determined the next one that goes up will be succsessful. Have a Great Thanksgiving Atjoe
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well. Until you started talking about the Arcon and Arcon Hi, I never had heard of them. That’s cool your upscale has about a 25 year legacy. Too bad the first one had such a spectacular CATO. It made for a great video! You have taken me on quite a journey with classic Centuri and Estes designs. Plus your adventures in Mid Power. Let’s hope 2021 will allow for some new upscales and adventures 👍🚀

We lost some,we crashed some and some came back.We still had fun no matter what. This is a very big grassy field that is 1/2 mile wide by about 1 mile long. We have permission to use it any time we want until mid March 2021. If any of you live near this location and would like to fly with us, let me know. It's in Mappsburg Virginia about 10 minutes north of Exmore Virginia where we live. A nice rural quite place.
I would love to fly some rockets in Mappsburg with you guys! 👍🚀 Maybe even take in Wallops Island as well. But unfortunately I have a 4000 mile round trip to do so. ☹️😉

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well. Until you started talking about the Arcon and Arcon Hi, I never had heard of them. That’s cool your upscale has about a 25 year legacy. Too bad the first one had such a spectacular CATO. It made for a great video! You have taken me on quite a journey with classic Centuri and Estes designs. Plus your adventures in Mid Power. Let’s hope 2021 will allow for some new upscales and adventures 👍🚀
Hope your Holiday was good too. Yes, sometimes things that go wrong turn out good. We don't see it caught on video that much. I have more Cato's of mid power on older video. Trouble is I need a new program soft ware or try to plug the video camera into the computer.Thanks for the comments. I agree on 2021 for new adventures. :)

I would love to fly some rockets in Mappsburg with you guys! 👍🚀 Maybe even take in Wallops Island as well. But unfortunately I have a 4000 mile round trip to do so. ☹😉
4000 miles is a haul. Atleast I let you know:). Went out again to find "Clipper rocket" . I know it's out there. Will find it.

Great looking classic rocket! I didn’t know Centuri had the diverse line of rockets, until I started seeing your posts on them. Being in the center of the Estes Universe, I never really knew much about the other brands that were out there. We would occasionally see Centuri and maybe Cox rockets at the hobby stores. But in very limited quantities. It would be fun to try and clone some of their designs 🤓👍
Check the Semroc lineup at eRockets.biz. They kitted a lot of the Centuri lineup including the Taurus. A lot of them have been discontinued since Carl passed away, but I believe the parts are still available to put your own kit together.

I'm on the Eastern Shore too! Sent you a PM.

I'd wish the Skywinder would come back. It was fun in its day. At one point in the '90s about everybody in the Omaha club had one.

Check the Semroc lineup at eRockets.biz. They kitted a lot of the Centuri lineup including the Taurus. A lot of them have been discontinued since Carl passed away, but I believe the parts are still available to put your own kit together.
Thanks, I’ll check them out.

That’s really cool you have been doing the Mid Power launches for almost three and a half decades. I can’t imagine how much you must have felt the thrill of launching something on a G motor! I think we did our first Mid Power launches with C.R.A.S.H. in 2012. The biggest motor so far has been black powder F sized. I’ve got kits for G sized composite motors, but they still need to get put together. Maybe next year, without the pandemic and fire danger 😉👍 I hope your field launches go well, can’t wait to see your field report on them. 🤓
Hope to see Bertha soon.

Back