I wish Estes still made this rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X151.jpg

Performance Hobbies with theirs. Presently in stock.

Performance Hobbies with theirs. Presently in stock.

That would from Ken, the guy who stiffed a whole bunch of people during Xmas special the prior season.
Took the money, never shipped, blamed it on others. Never refunded.
Otherwise, might be a nice guy.

Now that's interesting news.
It was a virtual hobby trade show from earlier this year. Can’t remember which post I saw it on. They had Estes on a live stream for about 10 minutes showing their new rockets and answering questions. The topic of Maxi Brutes came up, they said maybe sometime in the future. They also had some cool Space X prototypes in the background 😉

I saw a video of the new Estes rockets coming out later this year and 2021. The new owners were entertaining the idea of bringing back the Maxi Brute line 👍
How can I find the video? I saw the fires out in Colorado today. How far are you from them? I hope all is good.

How can I find the video? I saw the fires out in Colorado today. How far are you from them? I hope all is good.
Looks like burkfje hooked you up on the video 😉👍 The Estes coverage is around the 19:00 minute mark. I’m about 75 to 100 miles from the fires. Our whole Northern sky is one giant smoke trail. I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime. Still can’t launch any kind of rockets. We are supposed to get snow this weekend. I hope they get a lot where the fires are located. Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. I’ve been enjoying your Chessie System videos on YouTube. 😊

Looks like burkfje hooked you up on the video 😉👍 The Estes coverage is around the 19:00 minute mark. I’m about 75 to 100 miles from the fires. Our whole Northern sky is one giant smoke trail. I’ve never seen anything like it in my lifetime. Still can’t launch any kind of rockets. We are supposed to get snow this weekend. I hope they get a lot where the fires are located. Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods. I’ve been enjoying your Chessie System videos on YouTube. 😊
Yes he did hook me up and I have to thank him.19 minute mark is correct. Thank you. 75 to 100 miles is pretty scarey.I hope it rains there about 5 inches to put out the fires. This is unbelevable whats going on out there. I hope all is well. Thanks for watching my Chessie Vids.

Yes he did hook me up and I have to thank him.19 minute mark is correct. Thank you. 75 to 100 miles is pretty scarey.I hope it rains there about 5 inches to put out the fires. This is unbelevable whats going on out there. I hope all is well. Thanks for watching my Chessie Vids.

Thank you for posting this video. Lots of good things to come.

For this application the estes motors aren't as powerful in the e-class and the f motors are too heavy, in my gliders I won't ever use an estes motor I've just seen too many failures and I've had zero failures in the 24 mm e-class reloads in over 1500 flights.
How do you compare the Estes E and F motors to Aerotechs E and F motors? Are they similar in performance and sound?

For this application the estes motors aren't as powerful in the e-class and the f motors are too heavy, in my gliders I won't ever use an estes motor I've just seen too many failures and I've had zero failures in the 24 mm e-class reloads in over 1500 flights.
You mentioned heavy.The Estes F motors weight interfears with the thrust output Is that correct? Zero failures is very impressive for over 1500 flights. I saw in the video that Estes has a machine that can make G motors. That should be interesting. Here DSCF3532.JPGDSCF3533.JPGDSCF3532.JPGI found an old COX A62 motor I have had for a long time. You can see the date stamp. 8/18/1973

The black powder F motors are just too heavy for the ns which means more nose weight and then the whole thing weighs too much for glide at least in this application. For every gram in the tail you need about a gram in the nose in this case with CG near the center. For example the F-15 weighs 102 grams at 49ns, compared to an F-24 which weighs 63 grams and has 47.3ns. It already glides fast and short at 17 oz rtf, now add another 80 grams or almost 3 oz it's just a low heavier for zero benefit.

You mentioned heavy.The Estes F motors weight interfears with the thrust output Is that correct? Zero failures is very impressive for over 1500 flights. I saw in the video that Estes has a machine that can make G motors. That should be interesting. Here View attachment 436112View attachment 436113View attachment 436112I found an old COX A62 motor I have had for a long time. You can see the date stamp. 8/18/1973

Last edited:
You too can pilot an X-15 and bring it in for a nose high landing like it was meant to be, no unscale parachutes for me😂

View attachment 435933

What a beauty! It looks like your right hand is deflecting a control surface, so is that a radio controlled rocket/glider? Very, very cool. I have yet to master the whole left/right thing when the car or airplane is coming toward me... :(

It's interesting that the lower specific impulse of the black powder motors affects their usability here, but it makes perfect sense.

Here is a night launch of my Estes Patriot . I have the #808 Spy Camera from Apogee Components taped to the rocket. You only see the flame exhaust and a little bit of the fins. Cant wait to send it up again. I thought at right before dusk it would capture some light. Next one will be better during the day.
View attachment night lanch a83 10242020.mp4

Last edited:
In the late 80s I remember having a black NASA X plane rocket similar to the X-15 but my memory was that it was an Estes kit that involved balsa wood fins, and cardboard body panels that I glued. It used a B/C motor.

Any idea what was?

In the late 80s I remember having a black NASA X plane rocket similar to the X-15 but my memory was that it was an Estes kit that involved balsa wood fins, and cardboard body panels that I glued. It used a B/C motor.

Any idea what was?
Estes #1933 X-16. A faux AF X-plane that resembles an X-15 - used the BT-50 cockpit style nose cone.

I saw a video of the new Estes rockets coming out later this year and 2021. The new owners were entertaining the idea of bringing back the Maxi Brute line 👍
How is your injury healing? Any Progress of the fires receding? Had 5 rockets prepped today and got rained out.🌧:(:mad:

How is your injury healing? Any Progress of the fires receding? Had 5 rockets prepped today and got rained out.🌧:(:mad:
Darn, we should have swapped our weather. It was dry and clear here. We could have used the rain. Hopefully it will clear up for you to launch. Fires getting better, we really could use some more snow. Finger back to normal, I had a nurse check my “booger picker” as they called it and gave it a thumbs up 👍 Looking forward to hearing about your five rockets launching 😊🚀

Here is a night launch of my Estes Patriot . I have the #808 Spy Camera from Apogee Components taped to the rocket. You only see the flame exhaust and a little bit of the fins. Cant wait to send it up again. I thought at right before dusk it would capture some light. Next one will be better during the day.
View attachment 436247
Cool launch, I always enjoy launching at night. Thanks for sharing the video 😉

Back