Quantcast

I wish Estes still made this rocket.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

shawn_rocket

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was a young kid when they were doing tests with the X-15. I was obsessed with it. I wanted to be a test pilot, when I grew up, so I could fly the X-15.

He has 2 X-15's. One is smaller for D and E engines. The other is MPR to fly on G's. They look awesome! Heard about these X-15's on the Rocketry podcast. It's definitely on my wish list to buy. A little pricey, but a heck of a kit for the money!

GlenP

Reaction score
DynaSoar Rocketry makes an RC glider version, really impressive flight and landing.

Sorry did not see this was already posted above

Last edited:

Mugs914

"Use enough dynamite there Butch?"
Reaction score
This is the Estes X-15 I'd like to see again. It was smaller, ready to fly (no assembly at all, install the chute and go), a bit closer to scale, powered by 13mm motors and a TON of fun! It would really scoot on an A10!

1600227997993.png

Initiator001

Reaction score
The plastic Estes X-15 was the subject of a voluntary recall in 2007:

I know a scout was hit with one but I haven't been able to google up that story yet. It's out there somewhere.

I don't think Estes has marketed an X-15 since.
THAT X-15 was a re-issue of the Cox version from the early 1970s. I tried flying several of these in the 1990s and never had a 100% successful flight.

The Estes Firing Line model (#0705) was an excellent flier and I flew mine for several years.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Last edited:

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is the Estes X-15 I'd like to see again. It was smaller, ready to fly (no assembly at all, install the chute and go), a bit closer to scale, powered by 13mm motors and a TON of fun! It would really scoot on an A10!
THAT X-15 was a re-issue of the Cox version from the early 1970s. I tried flying several of these in the 1990s and never had a 100% successful flight.

The Estes Firing Line model (#0705) was an excellent flier and I flew mine for several years.
Whoops, too many plastic Estes X-15s. But I think the one the op mentioned is the same as the model that was recalled in 2007.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
Anyone remember this? It was in that same time frame.

Please let's remember to keep these two incidents distinctly separated in our minds, i.e.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please let's remember to keep these two incidents distinctly separated in our minds, i.e.
Agreed. That was a tragic user error not even remotely tied to any manufacturer's product.

Woody's Workshop

Reaction score
Frankly, I wish the new owners would bring back everything, and don't OOP anything.
Some of the older BT-20 & 50 nose cones with canards were great to scratch build with.
I have a couple stashed away. Kinda reluctant to use them in fear of loosing them in the area I am now forced to fly in.

arconhi

Reaction score
Frankly, I wish the new owners would bring back everything, and don't OOP anything.
Some of the older BT-20 & 50 nose cones with canards were great to scratch build with.
I have a couple stashed away. Kinda reluctant to use them in fear of loosing them in the area I am now forced to fly in.
I agree with you on bringing them all back. It would be nice to see. The Maxi-Brutes were nice too.
maxi brutes.jpg

Scott_650

Reaction score
For the X-15 fans there’s always SNG Aero and, soon, Apogee. Between those two, even with the boxes of stuff I haven’t built yet, at least one will join the fleet. Plus a new Estes RTF SLS, and a Saturn 1b, and a Skylab SV... ;)

Senior Space Cadet

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

He has 2 X-15's. One is smaller for D and E engines. The other is MPR to fly on G's. They look awesome! Heard about these X-15's on the Rocketry podcast. It's definitely on my wish list to buy. A little pricey, but a heck of a kit for the money!
I see it needs quite a bit of weight in the nose cone. I kind of figured that, with the wings. I guess a C6-5 wouldn't work :).

Fishhead

Reaction score
I know Estes reissued the Vampire as the Jinx in later years, but was there ever a reissue of the Banshee?

Latest posts