I want to get into high altitude mid-power rocketry, and I have a few questions that I need answers to.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to eliminate the "screw-on" engine retainer. If you don't, it will be impossible to insert the Stage Coupler for the Booster.

You will need to use or make an Engine Hook to retain the motor at Ejection.

You will also need to trim the rear part of each fin tab ( about 1.5" ) to allow the rear Centering Ring to be moved forward. This allows the Stage Coupler on the Booster to slide into the Airframe.

Here is a STAR ORBITER build thread. It may be helpful in planning your modifications.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-star-orbiter-9716.134806

A two-stage build thread . . .

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/star-orbiter-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.141542

STAR ORBITER instructions :

https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Instructions/009716_STAR_ORBITER.pdf

ADVICE : "Measure TWICE, cut ONCE" !

Dave F.
As you indicated, this is the likely result. I'd like to see the video but looks like it's not available anymore.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/star-orbiter-should-i-or-shouldnt-i.141542/post-1715472

If I were to start launching rockets 5000+ feet in the air, and I want to recover them, should I invest in a GPS tracker? If so, which one should get?
I try to use a GPS on any of my rockets going +3000ft. I have successfully recovered medium sized rockets from 5000ft without a tracker, but its not fun for me.
As for which ones, I can only recommend what I have. The Eggtimer Mini tracker is awesome for staying in a budget and the Featherweight is perfect if your looking for something a bit nicer.

I recommend building the booster for the Star Orbiter with another Star Orbiter Kit. I wrote a Sport Rocketry article about it.
View attachment 505748

I saw this flight on YouTube and it’s awesome! But I believe you optimized it to the best it could possibly be made, and it still arched parallel to the ground. If I were to do it, it would be even heavier. So I have decided to postpone this project and build the star orbiter as it is meant to, but instead 2 stage a hobby lobby Cherokee-E, F15-0 to E9-6 or 8. Thank you for helping me in this process!

I saw this flight on YouTube and it’s awesome! But I believe you optimized it to the best it could possibly be made, and it still arched parallel to the ground. If I were to do it, it would be even heavier. So I have decided to postpone this project and build the star orbiter as it is meant to, but instead 2 stage a hobby lobby Cherokee-E, F15-0 to E9-6 or 8. Thank you for helping me in this process!

Winds aloft may have contributed to the flight trajectory . . . Tip-off, at staging, may have also been a factor.

When the new 24mm Estes "E60" comes out, an E60 - F15 combination would be nice !

Dave F.

Here is a question no one has ask you. Why are you taking a model rocket and converting into a medium power rocket. Just so you can say you reach a mile high. Model Rockets are cheap and light...you are building it heavy, (2 stage), and will need a tracker, because you want again, to achieve a mile high. Build your first mid power kit...try an E ands F composite engine and see if you can recover without a tracker.

But if this is what you want to do, go ahead......drop it with a metallic reflective streamer.
Isn't the star orbiter already mid-power without the second stage? It uses an F15-8, and F impulse engines are classified as mid power according to Apogee.
"Low power is defined as D-class motors and lower, and mid power is generally defined as E, F or G motors." (https://www.apogeerockets.com/High-Power-Rocketry-Certification#:~:text=The lines between "low power,age or ability to fly.)

I'm also going to be turning the Cherokee-E as my two stage project instead, as it is much lighter, and I will engineer a way to stage an F15-0 to and E9-6 or 9. 29mm staged to a 24mm will be difficult. But if there's a will, there's a way. Once I am done with that project, I will move to low power composite engines, then mid, then L1 cert.

I'm also going to be turning the Cherokee-E as my two stage project instead, as it is much lighter, and I will engineer a way to stage an F15-0 to and E9-6 or 9. 29mm staged to a 24mm will be difficult. But if there's a will, there's a way. Once I am done with that project, I will move to low power composite engines, then mid, then L1 cert.

29mm to 24mm is easy . . . No "rocket science" involved - LOL !

BTW - The "E9" is no longer produced. It was replaced by the "E12" motor.

Dave F.

Last edited:
Estes sells E16 motors in the same casing. It may be smart to test fly, mixing and matching the E and F motors in different configurations. For a two-stager using -8 motors in the upper stage, that’s four different combinations.

E16-0 to E16-8
E16-0 to F15-8
F15-0 to E16-8
F15-0 to F15-8

F15-0/F15-8 is basically the trickiest scenario among the four in terms of CG/CP relationship, liftoff weight, and recoverability. You may want to test these lower-power configurations first.

Don’t try more than two F15 motors in a rocket unless you have HPR certification, by the way. Two of them is right on the 125g overall propellant limit. That’s probably why they’re “baby Fs” instead of full Fs.

I also see no reason to not fashion the booster out of the stock lower body tube. It’s slotted, lightweight, and the correct outer diameter of 1.64 inches (42mm).

For the sustainer, you will probably want to install a sleeve in the lower body tube for strengthening, otherwise you’ll likely get compression failures along the spiral seam.

Side note: I seem to recall that my Star Orbiter has a hole in the base of the nose, although I’m going to have to double-check that when I get home.

Estes sells E16 motors in the same casing. It may be smart to test fly, mixing and matching the E and F motors in different configurations. For a two-stager using -8 motors in the upper stage, that’s four different combinations.

E16-0 to E16-8
E16-0 to F15-8
F15-0 to E16-8
F15-0 to F15-8

F15-0/F15-8 is basically the trickiest scenario among the four in terms of CG/CP relationship, liftoff weight, and recoverability. You may want to test these lower-power configurations first.

Don’t try more than two F15 motors in a rocket unless you have HPR certification, by the way. Two of them is right on the 125g overall propellant limit. That’s probably why they’re “baby Fs” instead of full Fs.

I also see no reason to not fashion the booster out of the stock lower body tube. It’s slotted, lightweight, and the correct outer diameter of 1.64 inches (42mm).

For the sustainer, you will probably want to install a sleeve in the lower body tube for strengthening, otherwise you’ll likely get compression failures along the spiral seam.

Side note: I seem to recall that my Star Orbiter has a hole in the base of the nose, although I’m going to have to double-check that when I get home.
He needs a waiver not a HPR cert for rockets containing more than 125g of propellant (FAR 101.22) https://rocketry.fandom.com/wiki/FAR_101#.C2.A7_101.3_Waivers. HPR certs are based on total Ns, and 80 newtwons of max thrust or more. FAR 101 covers propellant mass (125g or less) and rocket mass (ready to fly) not more than 1500g.

He needs a waiver not a HPR cert for rockets containing more than 125g of propellant (FAR 101.22) https://rocketry.fandom.com/wiki/FAR_101#.C2.A7_101.3_Waivers. HPR certs are based on total Ns, and 80 newtwons of max thrust or more. FAR 101 covers propellant mass (125g or less) and rocket mass (ready to fly) not more than 1500g.
The regs overlap and this matter has been discussed ad nauseam here on the forums. A requirement for an FAA waiver also triggers a requirement for certification and other relevant HPR requirements, although this does not necessarily apply the other way around.

https://www.soarrocketry.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/HPR_metric9c.pdf

Two F15 motors require neither a HPR Cert or a Waiver just a lot of recovery area.
‘Twas merely a warning to the OP not to exceed this limit, not an implication that all the extra hoopla was actually required.

Don’t worry about it, I sometimes have reading comprehension failures too. It happens

Isn't the star orbiter already mid-power without the second stage? It uses an F15-8, and F impulse engines are classified as mid power according to Apogee.
"Low power is defined as D-class motors and lower, and mid power is generally defined as E, F or G motors." (https://www.apogeerockets.com/High-Power-Rocketry-Certification#:~:text=The lines between "low power,age or ability to fly.)

I should have stated a " high" medium powered rocket .I see too many houses and trees, is your field large enought for going over 1,000 or 2,000 feet?

So two engines is 7 ounces, and Estes estimates that the rocket is 5.9 ounces once it is constructed, including glue, paint, recovery, etc. That gives us about 13 ounces. I'm putting an estes altimeter in this thing too, which is 0.4 ounces. We're at 13.5 ounces now. The 3D print has to weigh less than 1.5 ounces... this is close.
My first question regards the next rocket I plan to build, which is the Estes Star Orbiter. I am going to modify it into a two stage rocket, the booster stage being 3D printed. And I will use an Estes F15-0 and an F15-8. If the projected altitude with one engine is around 1800 feet, how high should I expect two stages to take it?

My second question is more long term. After I finish with the Estes Star Orbiter, I want to get an Apogee Aspire, and launch it with an F10-8 aerotech engine that is said to take it a mile high. If I were to start launching rockets 5000+ feet in the air, and I want to recover them, should I invest in a GPS tracker? If so, which one should get? I am only seeking to locate the rocket, I don't need to know all the other stats as that makes it more expensive. If I don't need to get a GPS tracker, should I get one of those screaming beeper devices instead? Again, which one? Would a beeper even suffice for rockets going higher than 5000 feet?

Thanks for taking the time to read through my barrage of questions. Your answers are much appreciated.
Here are my two cheap hight altitude rockets. One is a Hobby
Lobby Star Orbiter and a scratch built Hyperion. Both have Apogee baffle And plywood fins epoxy no wood glue. The Hyperion has adjustable nose weigh. I have flown on Aerotech G 40 and G 79 single use. Both rockets have flown on Aerotech 29/180 H 128W 14.

Attachments

• 288B1B72-EFA6-4743-96FC-CACF3DADEC4B.jpeg
    288B1B72-EFA6-4743-96FC-CACF3DADEC4B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 41BE2868-0573-42E6-8CB5-ACA7CFE49F55.jpeg
    41BE2868-0573-42E6-8CB5-ACA7CFE49F55.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Here are my two cheap hight altitude rockets. One is a Hobby
Lobby Star Orbiter and a scratch built Hyperion. Both have Apogee baffle And plywood fins epoxy no wood glue. The Hyperion has adjustable nose weigh. I have flown on Aerotech G 40 and G 79 single use. Both rockets have flown on Aerotech 29/180 H 128W 14.
What altitudes did you get?

Having played around with my own Star Orbiter a bit, I’ve learned a couple things:

The Star Orbiter’s lower body tube is not very strong. Every time I fly it, the spiral seam gets more and more compression damage. Although I have flown it on some relatively low-thrust composite motors like the AeroTech E23T, I wouldn’t recommend it for even these kinds of motors. Stick with the BP and even then, take some time to strengthen it. I would not be surprised if mine comes completely apart in flight during its next three or four launches.

When I looked around for other rockets that specifically support staging 29mm BP, I found the AeroDactyl TS from DynaStar. There are a couple others but that one is by far the simplest. Should my Star Orbiter be toast before I get it to fly on the F15-0/F15-8 stack, that’ll be my go-to.

You know Hobby Lobby does carry the Estes Vapor which can use the E12. I wonder how high one of them would go built as a two-stage using the E12 motors? I think it's time to go play with OpenRocket.
I would suggest that the OP buy an Estes Cherokee E or High Flier XL or Vapor, and launch it with an Estes E12. If that doesn't get enough altitude then try an Aerotech 24mm such as an F32.

I don’t have simulation on the Vapor. I put 29 mm plywood mounts in the vapor and used a 12” motor tube with three centering rings epoxy for strength. The sim on the Hyperion was 883 meters and Mach .94.
Hope you have a big field or dry lake bed.

An Apogee Aspire kit can be a minimum diameter 29mm 2stager by adding one set of fins and chopping a tube. Good luck tracking it though....

Back