I WANT this Jeep!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
I first learned of the Kaiser Jeep M715 when I researched the beat up but very cool style pickup used in the first Tremors movie. Unfortunately, this is only a concept vehicle:

2016 Jeep Crew Chief 715

https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/jeep/2016-jeep-crew-chief-715-ar172714.html

jeep-crew-chief-715-4_1600x0w.jpg

jeep-crew-chief-715-2_1600x0w.jpg

jeep-crew-chief-715_1600x0w.jpg

That's the first Jeep I've seen in a long time that actually looks like a Jeep!

We were in South Africa and one of our guides drove a Toyota Land Cruiser truck. It looks like the Cruiser from the 70's.
At the Toyota dealership as best we could figure they go for $45k. Can't be imported as new because of not meeting US emissions and safety regs. I believe they are made in South Africa and Australia.

I want it too.
I first read about it a few months ago in a magazine in a waiting room.
The tires and rims would go right in the trash, but the rest of the rig is well thought out.
That WWI convenience tread pattern only looks/works good on WWI vehicles. I would prefer a strong Horse at that point.

We were in South Africa and one of our guides drove a Toyota Land Cruiser truck. It looks like the Cruiser from the 70's.
At the Toyota dealership as best we could figure they go for $45k. Can't be imported as new because of not meeting US emissions and safety regs. I believe they are made in South Africa and Australia.

When I was young and we were on Safari in Kenya we spent some time in a Land Cruiser. In Kuwait I spent some time driving one, and they always have impressive features and abilities.:wink:

I miss the Jeep trucks, they certainly have a style all their own.

I almost bought an M715 a few years ago until I saw the pitiful job that had been done welding the frame back together after it had been demilled.

Ya know another old truck I really miss was the International Scouts ! When I was in my late teens I worked at a full service gas station and they had 2 of them one was a plow truck and the other was what we used on service calls ! They were used and abused but seldom gave us problems , I don't know if anything today could have held up to such use .

And then there is this commemorative concept Jeep...

01-jeep-wrangler-75th-salute-concept.jpg
I could go for one of those, too. Jeeps have mutated to look way too much like soccer mom SUVs short of adding all kinds of aftermarket stuff. They need to come out with some more military styled special editions. I think they'd sell a ton of them.

I sold my CJ-5 in 1975 and then bought a brand new Land Cruiser, then sold the Cruiser to my boss's daughter in 1985. She rolled the Cruiser rock hopping. I should have never sold either one of them. Many hours hunting deer and elk in those vehicles. I'm partial to the CJ because it was my first 4x4, but the Cruiser had it beat when it came down to 4 wheeling and power.

Ya know another old truck I really miss was the International Scouts ! When I was in my late teens I worked at a full service gas station and they had 2 of them one was a plow truck and the other was what we used on service calls ! They were used and abused but seldom gave us problems , I don't know if anything today could have held up to such use .
Yeah, I like them, too. I forget what movie or movies made me look into them.

Here's another vehicle that inspired a Google search long after the TV series was in rerun, Ed Chigliak's pickup in Northern Exposure, 1962 GMC 1500. Nice, clear shots of it were seen in one of the episodes. The color scheme is sky blue or aqua (I forget) with white accents. A poor photo of it.:

i437821.jpg

And what you can do with one:

62-k1500-frank-m.jpg

Well, that's part of the trouble. The AEV Brute is a novelty aftermarket conversion, which while is really cool (though I still would rather have the previous TJ-based Brute), has none of the engineering support of an OEM vehicle. So, yeah, its a pickup. But AEV isn't in a position to re-rate the towing capacity compared to the Wrangler as it left Toledo. Also, keep in mind that this is still a midsize pickup. So, while 3500lb is still weak (my '98 Explorer V8 is rated for 6500), expecting to be able to haul large livestock trailers isn't realistic either.

FWIW, aftermarket crew-cab pickup conversions must be all the rage these days. I saw this at the Ford Nationals event at Carlisle back in June:
WP_20160604_13_05_38_Rich (2).jpg

The company was selling conversion kits, extended tubs, etc. The frame had a healthy extension ahead of the rear axle. Also FWIW, it seems like Jeep has gotten a lot of mileage out of that Gladiator-style front clip that they used on the above M715 concept:
_JeepConcept_OMTpickup_cropped_t933x640.jpg

01-jeep-chief-1.jpg

I'm in particular a fan of this one, as I'm a big fan of the Cherokee Chief and other 2-door SJ models. What's cool is that all of these vehicles are built from the existing Wrangler platform. In fact, if you look past the nose sheet metal, there's quite a bit of Wrangler bodywork in them. All of these have been built for various years' Easter Safari as concepts. And while we're at it, here's one more that takes the modified KJ to another level, especially cool if you're at all familiar with Jeep Forward Control trucks:

mp012_027jp.jpg

Yea, I like it. This jeep is ideal for seeking rockets.But a small helicopter is a better solution.

Back