I Want An S-200 Angara/SA-5 Gammon Model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I have really fallen in love with the Looks of this Cold War Era Soviet Anti-Aircraft Missile.
I would absolutely enjoy creating a Scale Model with a BT-80 size Sustainer.
Can anyone point me towards some helpful info? I've Googled it and I have Books that give approximate Dimensions and such, but it would be most awesome if someone had gone there before me and was willing to share their Knowledge with me.
This is especially important since I'de like it to be a MPR Model. I was thinking that it could use Single Use 18mm D10 Motors in the Lateral Boosters, then a Single Use 24mm Motor via Airstart for the Sustainer.
I'de also be glad to build it as a Single Stage Rocket first to get a Pattern for all the Parts established.
Heck, I'de be happy for the Specs. of a Scale Static, Non-Flying Model in that size range, since I'm really most concerned about having it hanging from the Cieling to stare at, since it is so cool looking.
Obviously, I'de have to use Sims on a Flying Model like this to ensure Safety, so that goes without saying even though those of you that know my Build Style know that I hate Simming and try to avoid it whenever possible by just sticking to the Kit Instructions and Common Sense Mindsim, like on my TLP Indigo.
I'm confident that I could build it light enough, after practicing lightweight Techniques on the Indigo.
It's not like this would be my very next Build, but I'de like to start Designing it, and possibly start assembly as a Winter Project.

Anyhow, this is an absolutely gorgeous Bird, and I'de love to have one. Any Guidance is most sincerely appreciated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-200_Angara/Vega/Dubna

Last edited:
My "MindSim" says that it has enough Surface Area below what would possibly be the CG, to give it enough Drag to be Stable without a Ton of Nose Weight as long as it launched on an aproppriate Motor/Motors and the right length Guide Rod.
I think a Rod would be easier than a Rail with this design.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm on my own on this one. That's Ok. Back in the Old Days I Scratch Built a few crazy things that flew just fine without the Internet or Sims.

Last edited:
I think this would be a fun build, count me in. For accurate dimensions, and so get stock nosecones that are close to the right shape, I think I'd go with a BT60 main tube. Not sure what motor(s) I'd put in it. I usually build the "shell" in OR then put in different sizes/forms of motors to see what works. Might be a fun kit for a BP 29mm. The sustainer looks a lot like an upscaled Israeli "Barak" (can't find a pic of the one I made). It's going to take a lot of nose weight...

I'm going to build something that looks sort of like a Gammon, but it will not try to be a Scale Gammon at all.
I will take the lessons learned, and apply the knowledge to creating a Scale Gammon Model.

Oh look, there's everything I need to know right there in a Google Search of Images.
Different Scale, but CP and CG Locations are there to be seen, as well as Angles, so I can make Fin Templates.

Last edited:
SA-5 Schematic.jpgNow I have the Schematics, so I have no choice but to make it as true to scale as my skills will allow.

SA-5 Schematic Boosters.jpg

Last edited:
Back