I want a whistle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone flown their Madcow Piranha yet? I know many of us bought that one when it was on the Black Friday special.

The kid launched one that I got him from the black Friday special, he changed it out to a 38mm, added a bunch of nose weight and launched it on a two grain Cessaroni, flew great (but no whistle).

Mike K

This is an old thread....but I've got a Composite Krill Aircraft Katana that has Live Hinges on the Ailerons. That design, and early FiberClassics (CARF) whistled when you rolled the airplane. Air moving around the wing where the top of the aileron was live hinged (surface hinged) but open on the bottom, made a light screech/whistle sound. Maybe that will be one on my next projects......

Of course the JU-87 sirens had an engadgable propeller for ease of turning on/off absolute terror...

Kits on the market today that are similar to the ones you list are the Madcow Frenzy (the 4' cardboard version) and the Binder Design Samurai and Raptor.

The Galaxy is the one you want, on a fast burn motor. If the motor burns too long, the rocket is too high to hear the whistle.

Those were commonly built with a Hemi.

Yep . . . That one was powered by a 331 Hemi . . . I have "visions" of a 426 Hemi-powered one, with Dual Quads or fuel-injected, with a 6-71 Blower - LOL !

Dave F.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Hrmm, a high power tubefin of emergency whistles of different lengths....

I launched with a very low power motor because I wanted it back. It actually landed almost on the launch pad (tumble recovery). I agree that to get a whistle, at least with the rig I used, it needs lots more speed. That might work since this one did whistle, just not very loudly. Our next day launch, I'll send it up with something a lot stronger.

I launched with a very low power motor because I wanted it back. It actually landed almost on the launch pad (tumble recovery). I agree that to get a whistle, at least with the rig I used, it needs lots more speed. That might work since this one did whistle, just not very loudly.
The great thing about it is that something like an e30 would whip it off the pad, but it would be so very draggy. HRMM....

I've had this this project in the back of my mind to make a 4 fin set (8 fins) split fin rocket that whistles in perfect 3rds. 2 sets of fins set one distance apart, and the second 2 sets of fins further apart. That would be cool!!! Now I'm thinking of adding whistles to the inside the tubes of the (now) 4 inch cyclotron. Fun stuff.

I think a whistle is definitely possible without split fins. I had a LOC Graduator whistle about midway up (towards deceleration) on an H220. Until I read this thread I never knew why it whistled.

Here is a test I just did. I searched around to find a suitable whistle and then made a custom nose with small scoops. Very windy today so I only used a B6. It needs mo' power! The whistle is there and a longer flight would probably work On the next flying day (probably next year) I'll put a much bigger motor in it.

Attachments

• whistle 2.mp4
    19.1 MB
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1
How about a modified boat tail, to preserve more aerodynamics and use the motor exhaust?

In the experimental category, you could go for a cluster and attach a couple Piccolo Petes to the airframe... or just use the PP in a very small airframe as the motor (??), but not at a NAR or Tripoli event. :)

If we aren't doing NAR or Tripoli then a whistle is dead easy. Just make a whistle rocket (not for inexperienced!). The challenge for me is to make it legal (compliant with NAR) and safe. BTW a PP does not have much thrust at all. It would have to be accompanied by a motor that gives thrust. Here is an example of a girandola that I did. Very small and very loud. (this was at a licensed event - nothing illegal).

Attachments

• whistle 3.mp4
    42 MB
Last edited:
A whistle is a challenge for rocketeers. Near to the ground a rocket club generator might drown out the whistle as heard by an observer or the rocket motor might drown out the whistle. As the rocket motor burns out the rocket model is getting farther and farther away from the observer and is harder to hear.

A whistle is a challenge for rocketeers. Near to the ground a rocket club generator might drown out the whistle as heard by an observer or the rocket motor might drown out the whistle. As the rocket motor burns out the rocket model is getting farther and farther away from the observer and is harder to hear.
Yep. The launch will hide a normal whistle until motor burnout. The coasting period is when we hear it. The movie from my other post shows this well. So... the idea is to get the rocket going... really going... so you can hear the whistle for a while. Even then, it will be faint compared to the lift-off noise. Perhaps an electronic noise maker would work. It would have to be loud, though. Not just a buzzer.

Wow 10 years later, and the thread is still going. Having said that, I still dont have a whistle.

I do like the 'pyrotechnic whistle' idea, but prob hard to get approved, in California, for a non-ex launch....

I may try testing a few ideas using the mach .1 wind tunnel (roof rack on the Chevy) the split fin with a blade on it idea...

The Stutka used a propeller to drive a siren, Might not be as impressive as the Chrysler siren, but thats what I'm thinking now. Make the whistling siren nose cone.

Something like Fire Siren driven by a prop (using an electric motor isnt as cool as a prop)

Mike (still wants a whistle) K

This had been a back burner project for me as well. I plan to build a midpower Ram jet with whistles inside the bottom of the outer shroud, pointing downwards...maybe that'll do it with a high thrust motor. I'll report back in the Spring

Latest posts

Back