I thought it would fit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBoy

Reaction score
I'm building my Wildman punisher SS and it seems no matter what my measurements said, even putting the forward centering ring at the very end of the motor mount, I'm going to have a 1/8" gap in my Aero Pack retainer. Is this going to be a problem, if so any advice on how to deal with it?

Gap- in the diameter? Or something else? Which Aeropack are you using?

Who did you buy the retainer from? [come with kit?]

You are saying it is loose on motor tube...or not enough length of MM tube?
Not sure I understand your problem.

If it is "loose"....
It's for 38mm...which one is it L or P or TW....? It should be TW "for thin wall" if memory serves.

Call vendor purchased from if you have wrong retainer.

I'm building my Wildman punisher SS and it seems no matter what my measurements said, even putting the forward centering ring at the very end of the motor mount, I'm going to have a 1/8" gap in my Aero Pack retainer. Is this going to be a problem, if so any advice on how to deal with it?

Base your measurements off your retainer, not the instructions.
Dry fit it to see how you might need to trim pieces to get rid of the gap.

Should have explained it better, the motor mount is 1/8" too short so the there is a gap between the end of the motor mount and the retainer when it is snug against the rear centering ring.

Should have explained it better, the motor mount is 1/8" too short so the there is a gap between the end of the motor mount and the retainer when it is snug against the rear centering ring.

Call Wildman, explain.....he will either send another MM tube or offer a workable solution.

1. Trim an 1/8" off the bottom of the fin tang, this will allow the rear CR to slide up 1/8"
2. Trim an 1/8" off the top of the fin tang, this will allow the MMT to slide down 1/8"
3. Trim a 1/16" off the top and off the bottom of the fin tangs, MMT comes down & CR comes up

The problem is that the motor mount and fins are installed, it really did fit in my head. I'm not worried about it being secure, maybe I'll just cut a 1/8" aluminum spacer.

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING...
and I swear, this is going to sound like "duh, of course", but ...

Make sure the retainer is on the right way. In my excitement to put the retainer on my Punisher, I tried test-fitting... it fit (slightly loosely) in one orientation and not at all the other way. So obviously, the loose way was it! I applied plenty of jb weld, let it cure....

then realized the threads were facing the top of the rocket.

There was much cursing.

I was able to break the jb weld with some carefully-applied heat, but I learned my lesson - the mmt tube needed sanding for the retainer to fit... So just make sure you've got it on the right way. Learn from my stupidity! :)

Back