I think I found prototype Estes rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolRockets

Reaction score
I was scrolling through eBay (as one would) looking for old rockets, when I stumbled upon some 1977 Star Wars kits, I’m more of a Star Trek fan, but Star Wars is good so I looked into it, the kits in the picture were released in 1980, and the package looks much MUCH nicer than a standard kit from the 70s, (I purchased an unopened, 1975 space shuttle a few years ago) and they are in incredible condition (Estes vault?) picture ⬇️5CD3E6DA-9555-40C3-8ABD-A9293A26E30E.jpegIf anyone has any info on possible prototypes (rhyme intended) then please respond to this thread, if anyone HAS prototype kits than you are very cool. Thank you everyone who has information.

The kits shown were originally listed in the 1978 Estes catalog, and were first sold in the spring of that year. These kits appear to be in reasonably good condition, and both are readily available on eBay. The TIE Fighter generally sells for $30-60, and the R2-D2 generally goes for $35-75. These do not appear to be any sort of non-standard "prototype" kit.

The Estes Star Wars license was signed in 1977, although the kits appeared in early 1978. The Star Wars products were missing from the 1981 Estes catalog, indicating that the license had expired by then. Estes renewed the license in the mid-90's, and the TIE Fighter, X-Wing, and R2-D2 reappeared in the 1997 catalog.

Thank you tsmith, and James (please tell me if you want to be called something else :) ), I did not see them in 1978 catalog, and the 1977 r2d2 had different style fins in the 1977 catalog, anyway thank you.

the 1977 r2d2 had different style fins in the 1977 catalog
Good eye! The catalog was probably finalized and sent to the printer before the actual design of the R2 model was established. It is almost certain that Estes was playing around with different design options, and did the catalog art before a final decision was made.

Edit: Just to clarify, the "Star Wars" models first appeared in the 1978 Estes catalog, not the 1977 edition.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/78estcat.html

Last edited:
Interesting that a B6-2 is the recommended first flight motor - even a C6-3 is dicey on this model. It does, however, fly very nice on D12 motors (with nose weight). :D

This past year, I flew the 78 R2, the 98(?) R2, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter, the 98 TIE Fighter and the 78 Maxi-Brute X-Wing.

Back