I sure do miss my Deuce.......

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Came across these pictures. I really miss the ol' 29mm Im going to have o rebuild her along with the 38mm.

I flew the heck out of that thing. This flight was on2 h97s did about 2k feet.

Ben

n_aCAMRFWIC.jpg

n_aCAZ6GRV3.jpg

Epic..

I should build a HPR duece someday. Either that, or a spinning rocket that leaves a double-helix smoke trail.

Epic..

I should build a HPR duece someday. Either that, or a spinning rocket that leaves a double-helix smoke trail.

I really enjoyed that thing. Im thinking a 29mm tres and deuce would be a nice pair

Ben

I'm betting Dick Stafford has already maybe multiple spinny things that make double-helix smoke trails...

Last edited:
Came across these pictures. I really miss the ol' 29mm Im going to have o rebuild her along with the 38mm.

I flew the heck out of that thing. This flight was on2 h97s did about 2k feet.

Ben
You should build one in 54mm. My offer to drag race stands, if you ever get one built and I see you again at a launch.

(You aren't making my motors though)

You should build one in 54mm. My offer to drag race stands, if you ever get one built and I see you again at a launch.

(You aren't making my motors though)

We will meet again, you can count on it!

I do have 54 plans drawn up (started atleast) I just need to get the money and time. This summer is going to be a big building and finishing year.

The one thing I want to do that you didnt is add a camera between the motors.

Ben

Gorgeous.

I have a 54mm Deuce (as pretty much everyone knows)
First flight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbryV8zR9U
https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/chris_lapanse/climbing.jpg
Later flight: https://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/chris_lapanse/404X0749background.jpg
Flight on skids: https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8004&d=1246855629

I've been meaning to build a big Tres for some time, but I haven't got around to it. How much does your big Tres weigh?

The one thing I want to do that you didnt is add a camera between the motors.

I bought a camera that fits - I still need to mount it, but I will get around to it before the next time it flies (I've got a couple K805 green motors sitting in the basement for sometime this year). I wanted to ad the camera so I could video yours trying to keep up as I'm winning the drag race :D

(How long have you been talking about building one again? It was pretty shortly after I built mine that you started talking about it IIRC - that was all the way back near the end of 2006...)

Last edited:
I bought a camera that fits - I still need to mount it, but I will get around to it before the next time it flies (I've got a couple K805 green motors sitting in the basement for sometime this year). I wanted to ad the camera so I could video yours trying to keep up as I'm winning the drag race :D

(How long have you been talking about building one again? It was pretty shortly after I built mine that you started talking about it IIRC - that was all the way back near the end of 2006...)

well, I have talked about it before I could actually handle doing it. Ive only been planning on doing it for like 6months. I sold the tubes but im hoping to buy them back because alot of personal things have changed since I started selling things off and I dont thing I will have to give up rockets (I dont think I could if I wanted)

So im hoping by the end of this fall to have MMX-54mm flyable plus maybe another one ;)

Ben

well, I have talked about it before I could actually handle doing it.

Fair enough.

In all seriousness (not that I'm ever anything but serious :p), I do think you've had enough experience to do a decent 54mm deuce now, unlike when you first started talking about it. I remain unconvinced of your motor making skills, but you have a lot more rocket experience than you did when you started. I would look forward to drag racing you, although you still need to build it first.

How about LDRS 30?
:D

Fair enough.

In all seriousness (not that I'm ever anything but serious :p), I do think you've had enough experience to do a decent 54mm deuce now, unlike when you first started talking about it. I remain unconvinced of your motor making skills, but you have a lot more rocket experience than you did when you started. I would look forward to drag racing you, although you still need to build it first.

well thanks? (sorta? lol) yeah I need to get a handle on my 98mm on up motors. Im pushing them to hard to fast. Im 100% with 76 on down.

How about LDRS 30?
:D

Dont joke, im trying to make that happen!! :D

Ben

well thanks? (sorta? lol) yeah I need to get a handle on my 98mm on up motors. Im pushing them to hard to fast. Im 100% with 76 on down.
You have to admit, the one and only time I've seen any of your homebrewed motors, it was less than confidence inspiring though.

Dont joke, im trying to make that happen!! :D

Ben

Hey - if there's any way for me to make LDRS 30, and you can make it too, I'd be happy to meet you there. I wasn't completely joking either. I'll be at LDRS 29 too, but since that one's in california, its not exactly convenient for you.

Alternatively, you could come to Octoberfest :D

You have to admit, the one and only time I've seen any of your homebrewed motors, it was less than confidence inspiring though.

Hey - if there's any way for me to make LDRS 30, and you can make it too, I'd be happy to meet you there. I wasn't completely joking either. I'll be at LDRS 29 too, but since that one's in california, its not exactly convenient for you.

Alternatively, you could come to Octoberfest :D

o shoot your playing a numbers game with me here. I thought we were up to 30 were only 29 dang. I would like to come to Ca but its hard for me to justify driving 30 hours to fly up to M when I can drive 2.5 hours and fly up to O.

But LDRS 30 is due to be in Argonia again lol so I am going to try and make that one.

Ben

o shoot your playing a numbers game with me here. I thought we were up to 30 were only 29 dang. I would like to come to Ca but its hard for me to justify driving 30 hours to fly up to M when I can drive 2.5 hours and fly up to O.

But LDRS 30 is due to be in Argonia again lol so I am going to try and make that one.

Ben

Argonia is bidding? As long as it's in the summer this time, rather than in the fall after school starts, that should work then. Alternatively, as I said, you could come out to our (NCR) Octoberfest - it's 4 days this year, and we have a 20k waiver (windows to 35 if needed) and up to O motors (you could probably do bigger at our site if you wanted to - I don't know, since nobody's tried)...

(Oh, and if you come to 29, I'll drag race you - that's fine with me too)

Argonia is bidding? As long as it's in the summer this time, rather than in the fall after school starts, that should work then. Alternatively, as I said, you could come out to our (NCR) Octoberfest - it's 4 days this year, and we have a 20k waiver (windows to 35 if needed) and up to O motors (you could probably do bigger at our site if you wanted to - I don't know, since nobody's tried)...

(Oh, and if you come to 29, I'll drag race you - that's fine with me too)

not sure if argonia is but the guys out there are due to have another one haha.

that sounds like it would be fun. Maybe ill talk with Rockets Magazines and see when they are heading out. It would be easier with a convoy to make it out. Well, there is a new cap of 40k Ns anyways before needing to file a $**** ton of paper work so O is fine with me.

Ben

I don't think Rockets usually covers our Octoberfest. They come out for Mile High Mayhem, but last year, due to poor scheduling, Octoberfest conflicted with BALLS (so Rockets went to BALLS instead). I'm not sure if that's the case again this year though.

I don't think Rockets usually covers our Octoberfest. They come out for Mile High Mayhem, but last year, due to poor scheduling, Octoberfest conflicted with BALLS (so Rockets went to BALLS instead). I'm not sure if that's the case again this year though.

Yeah, ill ask Neil and Bob. They wouldnt pass up a launch :p

Ben

Ben,
What are the spec's on this rocket?I am kinda wanting to build a 29mm deuce the more I see them what size body tube did you use and where did you get a Deuce nosecone?Do you maybe have a Rocksim file for it?

Ben,
What are the spec's on this rocket?I am kinda wanting to build a 29mm deuce the more I see them what size body tube did you use and where did you get a Deuce nosecone?Do you maybe have a Rocksim file for it?

3 inch tubing, and I'm pretty sure that's a sandman nose cone.

Got it Ben:roll:

Of course he'll give you the rest of the specs.

I think I'm going to build one too.

3 inch tubing, and I'm pretty sure that's a sandman nose cone.

Got it Ben:roll:

Of course he'll give you the rest of the specs.

I think I'm going to build one too.

yeah thats what I was figuring was just too lazy to do the math.It will go well with my 18mm and 24mm deuces.

Is there a thread here on converting a stock Tres to two stage?

wick

Back