I SOOO HATE MYSELF ...............

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
I know I know I know - yet I still pull an Estes E9-8 out and think it will be just fine this time :surprised: - dumbass :facepalm:
Had a Perfect first shakedown flight on my scratch build HammerHead H2o on a D12-3, 3 feet from the pad recovery - a perfect shakedown flight.
Running low on dollars and 2 E9-8s sitting in my stuff , I went against my better judgement and payed for it. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You know the rest of the story -
20160625_115426.jpg

20160625_133129.jpg

How do you get reimbursed for a toasted scratch build from Estes with a MSS report ? I HAVE ZERO interest in them replacing E9-8s with more of the same -
Just send me some tubing and D- motors . :smile:

The rest of my day was great tho- three other unflown rockets flew - spot on perfect.

Last edited:
and why the heck are my pics always sideways - they show right everywhere else...............

Never never never again - oh wait I have 2 left - NOT :facepalm:
One would have thought I learned from my avatar pic -

Last edited:
My 1st Estes DRT catoed on it's 1st flight on a E9 :dark:, never used another one & flew my 2nd DRT only on composite E's :cool: Sorry about the loss Andy.

Just email them after you file a mess report. You never know.

I emailed them and they took care of me - as in I didn't feel bad about soaking the other two motors from the pack where one catoed. Motors are the expensive part and you shouldn't have to risk it.

Me, I'd use them in one of George Gassaway's Dollar Tree rockets. If it blows up, big deal, so long as it doesn't start any fires should it work as it's supposed to.

I used a newly bought E9-4 recently on my vintage FSI Black Brant II and it worked excellent.

IMG_0588.jpg

SAM_9566.jpg

I've flown a couple E9-4s in my Titan III. I love the long burn. I was surprised when the C11 in the booster CATOed.

The previous time I tried to fly my Black Brant II with the E9-4, the nozzle blew out on ignition and the model just sat on the pad with heavy white smoke and flame coming out. Several of the fins and balsa tail cone got damaged. Estes did come to the rescue and offered me to pick a few kits from their catalog as a replacement. Later, I was able to repair the BB II (the pics from my previous post here was the first flight of this model after the repairs).

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 040.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 046.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 047.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 048.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 050.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 051.jpg

Estes has always made it right in the past - in 4-5 years , I have had a G40 and now my 3rd E9-8 fail. In most case they offered a replacement kit and motors - IF - it was their kit.
So this one being a scratch build Im not sure how they will act as far as replacement stuff ??? Like I said before , I dont want replacement E9-8s . Not sure how to politely word my email to them yet, but Im glad it was a Saturday and they didnt answer the phone - lol

Yeah so many E9 motors, so few rockets. Had a really cool 4 way cluster rocket that flew many times on D12s and E9's until that last time when one E9 blew a quarter of the fin can wide open. E9 looks good for a Quest Big Dog, bye bye Big Dog. How do E12s work out, anyone?

Estes didn't offer me any replacement motors (at the time) due to the hazmat shipping and costs, but I was happy to choose the kits given. At that same launch where my BB II got fried at the business end, I also lost my Estes Storm Caster when the engine's ejection charge failed and the model was lost (we never saw it again). They also replaced my Storm Caster with a new one (before it went OOP).

Pics below is the Storm Caster on the pad and at launch. BTW, the owner of that launch site (he's a member of this forum) found the model about a year or so later when working on the farm.

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 018.jpg

Shiner Launch With Alamo & Old Rocketeers Clubs 019.jpg

Last edited:
The E9 seems to be a Cato machine. Are you guys filling out mess reports on them?

I suspect that it is the long burn time of the E9 motors that contributes to the reported high failure rate. The longer the column of propellant, the longer the flame front is degrading the casing. This degradation could weaken the casing to the point that it might flex and de-bond the propellant grain from the casing wall, increasing the burn rate by exposing more propellant and ultimately rupturing the casing. :2:

Just wait until you get to HPR, then you get to have bigger and better CATO's (like AT L1000 DMS's, for example :) ).

I fill out MESS reports on all malfunctioning engines I use.

As Prefect, unless I am absolutely certain that a flyer will fill out a mess report, I have begun asking for the remains and packaging of a catoed motor and filling out mess reports for the few catos that occur at our launches.

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

So , waiting on a reply from Estes- sent an email about the failure -
Am I out of line suggesting to them I have no interest in replacement E9-8's , but would like to at least cover the replacement parts for my scratch build or a kit of equal value ??

So , waiting on a reply from Estes- sent an email about the failure -
Am I out of line suggesting to them I have no interest in replacement E9-8's , but would like to at least cover the replacement parts for my scratch build or a kit of equal value ??

They'll make good on the engine failure. I've never had Estes not take care of situations like this. Let us know what happens.

My Fliskits Richter Recker was destroyed by an E9 cato. Contacted Estes -- they are sending me a PS II Nike Smoke.

Me, I'd use them in one of George Gassaway's Dollar Tree rockets. If it blows up, big deal, so long as it doesn't start any fires should it work as it's supposed to.

That is a pretty darned good idea for how to use up spare E's without risking much. Only caveat is that you probably wouldn't want to do it with a long delay (such as an E9-8). Dunno what is the maximum safe delay for one of those things.

They'll make good on the engine failure. I've never had Estes not take care of situations like this. Let us know what happens.

So it seems a video of said failure and resulting damage seems to be key - not that I have EVER had an issue with them making things right - Christine @ Estes got back to me and asked -
" what similar rocket and what motor besides E9-8 would you like and we need your shipping address " :cool:

Shoot , now Im torn what to ask them for - catalog time :facepalm:
Im open to suggestions - I kinda thought about asking them for an PS2 Argent ( its cheap 24 bucks) , I already have one but I built it several years ago and want to try some mods......

Its very impressive for a manufacture to take into consideration the scratch build model replacement , that its hard for me to value - and offer a replacement kit of choice.
Stand up move Estes :cool:

Last edited:
So it seems a video of said failure and resulting damage seems to be key - not that I have EVER had an issue with them making things right - Christine @ Estes got back to me and asked -
" what similar rocket and what motor besides E9-8 would you like and we need your shipping address " :cool:

Shoot , now Im torn what to ask them for - catalog time :facepalm:
Im open to suggestions - I kinda thought about asking them for an PS2 Argent ( its cheap 24 bucks) , I already have one but I built it several years ago and want to try some mods......

Its very impressive for a manufacture to take into consideration the scratch build model replacement , that its hard for me to value - and offer a replacement kit of choice.
Stand up move Estes :cool:

Christine is always the "go to" lady at Estes for customer service. She'll do whatever is reasonably fair to remedy your situation.

Christine is always the "go to" lady at Estes for customer service. She'll do whatever is reasonably fair to remedy your situation.

Yeah , she asked me what I wanted so I was honest with her , I have not heard back yet - but if history serves , I should just get a package in the mail -
And so I wait..............

Yeah , she asked me what I wanted so I was honest with her , I have not heard back yet - but if history serves , I should just get a package in the mail -
And so I wait..............

They're slow, but they are very good at closing the loop. She always picks right up if you call, too.

They're slow, but they are very good at closing the loop. She always picks right up if you call, too.

Sooo , my shipping email arrived today -
To say I am pleased beyond my expectations is and UNDERSTATEMENT :cool:

THANK YOU - Estes Rockets for your amazing above and beyond Customer Service . I knew they would make it right - but too the extent they did :eyepop:
Lets just say you have a customer for LIFE and you will never hear me utter a poor word about the product or how well your stand behind it .
THANKS, Estes , YOU ROCK .

Andy

Sooo , my shipping email arrived today -
To say I am pleased beyond my expectations is and UNDERSTATEMENT :cool:

THANK YOU - Estes Rockets for your amazing above and beyond Customer Service . I knew they would make it right - but too the extent they did :eyepop:
Lets just say you have a customer for LIFE and you will never hear me utter a poor word about the product or how well your stand behind it .
THANKS, Estes , YOU ROCK .

Andy

:wink:

Back