I reached the legendary speed of balsa!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another glue type that works well with the rivit method is Ambroid model aircraft cement. very high strength, remains somewhat flexable, is "hot fuel Proof" and holds up well on fins and stage couplings.
Waxed paper arouund a motor casing works great!

If it was the glue joint then it wasn't a proper one. Wood glue will absolutely out last paper and wood in a proper glue joint. Either the tube wasn't prepared properly, or as I've noticed on my some of my models, the glue held up fine but the outer layer of body tube seperated. Make sure you sand through the glassine layer and the rivet technique is a good one.

I guess I agree, in my experience the glue doesn't let go but rather it pulls up a layer(s) of paper. I have also noticed when I've lost fins they have, on the same fin, a mix of BT still attached to the fin and fin material still attached to portions of the rocket. Most of my observations are due to hard landings, not shredding.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Looks like I have my holiday rocket project. I'll keep you all posted; next flight won't be until around xmas time.

i had a LOC onyx for about 3 days before i lost it, BUT. i put it up on its maiden flight on an F50. these fins are big, and they are surface mount. it came down pretty quick on a 24" estes chute choked way up due to wind and with a spill hole cut. it buried a fin, and it still survived. the method i used with that rocket was, i took my hobby knife and stabbed little holes along the fin mark line, then i laid down some 5 minute epoxy over that and waited for it to get tacky. i did the same thing to the bottom of the fin. (the BT was also sanded for this) then i laid down fillets the regular way and it was golden, with 5 minute epoxy. i flew it once on an F50 and once on a G80. the F50 was a sweet flight which was barely seen. the G80 was more viewable, however, it came down in nowhere land and i lost it. but it was still together when it was falling. muhahahaha. i believe the epoxy was west systems. its very good stuff.

i believe the epoxy was west systems. its very good stuff.

I love west systems..

I do overbuild my rockets. I use 1/8 inch plywood fins on 24mm D rockets. I'm starting to get into using fibreglassed 1/32nd inch basswood. Freaking light!

Back