I opened some boxes after over a decade....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not clone it? You've got what's probably the hardest part, the decals, if they're is usable condition. Even if they're not, you've got them to scan.
I had the same thought, the only part I have t tracked down yet is the nose cone. I don't have a lathe so gonna have to buy it. I only just started looking for it so I haven't gotten far yet

Wow, you weren't kidding. Within a year or so I usually have something built, but either not sanded at all or sanded and primed once. With the notable exception of my Estes Saturn V which needs engine fairings and fins put on first and been sitting for probably 18mos. And I have two HPR kits that have been sitting for as long or longer

I did the same and found all the LPR rockets I’ve ever built as a BAR.

Apparently I was fixated on variations on Der Red Max theme. Found a Lange Red Max, a Red Max Goonie, and even a standard Red Max. Found several up motored standard rockets, a few Hornets, couple of tube fins, my dual 24mm Lupara (a Captain Low & Slow ”Double Pumper” with dual 24mm motor tubes), multiple Big and Baby Berthas, and even the Baby Bertha progenitor the Rascal. A few Semroc birds in the mix includding my Magnum Hornet and the L’il Ivan. Most had been completed but a few lacked paint.

Found out why I never completed my Semroc Hawk boost glider...the body was made of balsa while the latest iterations of the kit use basswood. I vaguely remember thinking I would sandwich the fuselage with carbon fiber but somehow never got around to it.

I took out two birds from the box: the Semroc L’il Ivan and my Larry Brand ”E-Pod” clone. The E-Pod gets 1400’. on an E30. motor and is only 12”long. o_O

Please consider selling some kits. Too much $ lost because you forgot about such an extensive collection. Rockets need to fly . Otherwise their life is unfulfilled

Based on the OP’s treasure trove discovery, I pulled down two of my own: One filled with unopened kits and another filled with most completed LPR and small MPR rockets, including my famous/infamous E-Pod clone.

Between the two chests I even found the boost gliders I was asking the OP about....along with quite a few others. To make matters worse, I ordered several boost glider kits from Josh Finn (JHaero) and a several from other vendors.

It’s a sickness, I tell you!

On the plus side, I completed assembly of the Semroc L’il Ivan and now I need to pull down the chests again and retrieve the Semroc decals. I miss Uncle Carl.

On the not so good side, I discovered the Hawk fuselage is balsa rather than basswood now included in the modern Semroc kit. It reminded me of why I never built the kit. My plan was to laminate 0.07 carbon fiber to the balsa fuselage and I never got around to it...in spite of the container of CF sitting on a shelf over my workbench.

None of the treasure trove is for sale.

Attachments

• B31039C4-2889-4F6B-968D-259285411292.jpeg
    B31039C4-2889-4F6B-968D-259285411292.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 69C511AE-FE9A-49AD-8CBE-FF889778E3DB.jpeg
    69C511AE-FE9A-49AD-8CBE-FF889778E3DB.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 13
Please consider selling some kits. Too much $ lost because you forgot about such an extensive collection. Rockets need to fly . Otherwise their life is unfulfilled
I agree! I intend to build most of them. The others I'll give away.
Anything I build will be flown, no shelf queens in my fleet!

Based on the OP’s treasure trove discovery, I pulled down two of my own: One filled with unopened kits and another filled with most completed LPR and small MPR rockets, including my famous/infamous E-Pod clone.

Between the two chests I even found the boost gliders I was asking the OP about....along with quite a few others. To make matters worse, I ordered several boost glider kits from Josh Finn (JHaero) and a several from other vendors.

It’s a sickness, I tell you!

On the plus side, I completed assembly of the Semroc L’il Ivan and now I need to pull down the chests again and retrieve the Semroc decals. I miss Uncle Carl.

On the not so good side, I discovered the Hawk fuselage is balsa rather than basswood now included in the modern Semroc kit. It reminded me of why I never built the kit. My plan was to laminate 0.07 carbon fiber to the balsa fuselage and I never got around to it...in spite of the container of CF sitting on a shelf over my workbench.

None of the treasure trove is for sale.
I built and have flown the Semroc Hawk, Many flights. The Balsa seems strong enough. I've never had an issue.

Like you, I miss Carl too. He was special. His VF-261 is still one of my favorite rockets!

Back