i need ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachsta

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get an inexpensive V-2 or maybe plans for one? i was also wondering what some good ideas are for a high altitude rocket that use mid power motors

Originally posted by bachsta
does anyone know where i can get an inexpensive V-2 or maybe plans for one? i was also wondering what some good ideas are for a high altitude rocket that use mid power motors

For $25 you can get a V2 with a 24mm "E" motor mount from Aerospace Specialty Products. It weighs less than 4 ounces. You can fit an Aerotech F21 Econojet in the motor mount. Use a 10 second delay and it'll go about half a mile up. With that boat tail, the V2 is a pretty good high altitude rocket.

Of course you can put the F21 into any rocket that can hold an Estes E. A 24mm minimum diameter rocket built out of light Estes type materials but built strong enough, would weigh about 3 ounces. An F21 would kick it over 3000 feet in 10 seconds.

You want more altitude, build it to handle a 7" long 24mm motor and you can use a G55. That'll throw it about a mile. For that motor a good design would be a conical nose and clipped delta fins, like a WAC Corporal, because that's a Mach+ design and the G55 could very well push a light, well made 24mm bird that fast.

If "good" means a high likelihood of getting it back, something bigger might be a better idea.

I agree with dynosoar, if you wanna get it back , better try something different.

thanks. im new to rocketry and i went to plaster valley for the first time this summer and subsequently ive been to fiesta island twice.

If you can get a 2nd Big Daddy kit , use the spare nosecone that you will have. And cut 2.25" off from the nose upwards. The only realy 'hard' part is rounding your fins off so that they 'wrap' around the boat tail & filling the pre-slotted fin slots in the Bodytube. But even those arn't real problems.
Karl

wouldnt getting an aerospace v2 be cheaper theres are only about 25 dollars

Originally posted by bachsta
ive thought about but where can i get the boat tail for it?

The plans are for cutting one out of a second plastic nose cone.
You can buy balsa boat tails from Balsa Machining Service.
You can buy preslotted plastic boat tails from Public Missiles, but their smallest diameter is 2.1".

I've cut several out of plastic nose cones, including slotting. It takes some time and care, but it's not all that hard.

Back