I Need Help!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KT Chuteless

Reaction score
Alright now answer me this please. I have a problem with getting my rockets back in one piece due to the fact that my chute always gets tangled.Is there anyone who has an idea about what i could due to help for my chutes not to get tangled? Thanks!

Well first, love the name...haha...anyway, you may want to look into better chutes and shroud lines. How are you wrapping them and are they the right size?

what kind of chute? try tying it off to the bottom of the nose cone...i always have problems with chutes in the middle of the shock cord. are you folding it correctly? lay it out flat folded in half so that all the lines are pointing at you. then fold from each side over each other, then fold the point in the middle down, then fold it over again, then if your body tube is tight, fold it over again, then wrap it(not tightly) with the lines and stuff it in the tube. i'd definately try tying it off to the bottom of the nose cone. if the problem persists, go with a ribbon.:D

one more thing...remember to insert the chute so that its upside down in the tube. so the lines are all pointing back to the cone. and place the whole shock cord inside the tube before you put the chute in. then put the chute in and then put the cone in. i'd check to see if all the lines are tangled on the chute...maybe if you tied it wrong out of the package.

When packing the chute, fold it, then wrap it so the shrould lines go around it in a neat manner. Also, make sure your shock cord is long enough so the rocket does not run into the parachute and tangle up the mess.

yeah i do use ribbons alot now after i completly had to redo my mean machine after a bad crash so ive started using ribbons. This seems to work for my uncle and so im going to start trying this what about using swivel hooks for fishing and putting those on your cord that way it helps prevent the tangleing?

only if your shroud lines are long enough...in my experience, this is an invitation to tangling. i've tried all the swivels, tying an extra length of line to your shroud lines from your shock cord could also help. does it twist before it tangles? or does it come out tangled?

is to wrap the shock cord around the chute...

i fold the chute, furst pulling it to a point, then folding in half, then rolling tightly, then wrapping the shroud lines evenly around the bundle.

the chute is then placed into the body tube after inserting the wadding, the shock cord i place loosely on top of the whole thing.

it helps to have the chute attached directly to the nose cone, so the cone can help pull it out easier.

talcum powder can help smooth deployment and acts as tracking powder.

good luck!

Someone tell me something . . . this is kinda silly, but what type or brand of talcum powder?

I've been to Walmart and Fred Meyers and can only find scented foot powders, baby powders, etc. I can find anything that states "talcum" powder anymore? I must be getting old . . .

If you tie the chute to the nose (not too much of a problem on smaller rockets, but for bigger projects this is pretty important), then in the event of a shock cord seperation you have a nose floating on a chute and a body coming down fast, I have seen a body w/fins come down nose end first, even though the nose was floating softly down on a chute.

I asked my wife to pick up some baby powder for me at the store, and the only thing she could find was lavender scented. It works just fine, but now, whenever I pack my chutes, everything gets a slight hint of lavender. Kinda odd for a bunch of guys, especially when my car has Navy stuff all over it!:rolleyes:

WW

Instead of attaching the chute directly to the NC, put a split ring (like a key ring only smaller) on the NC and attach the shock cord and chute to that. The stress will all be on the split ring, which is unlikely to fail. The NC is unlikely to seperate because it is only supporting its own weight.

I generally get the non-scented stuff at drug stores. On the other hand, if I have a rocket that I don't fly very often I will use the lavender scented powders. I find that at times it makes the rocket feel special, like you care. And it also helps with that "not so fresh" feeling the rocket gets after each launch. It also helps to hold the rocket for a little while after recovery so it doesn't think that you are only interested in launching it then putting it away. Treat it right and it will do the same for you.

How big of rockets are you flying. There are many techniques and they usually depend on the rocket size. Also, if you hold the chute in one hand and wrap the shock cords around the chute that is inviting the tangle monsters. Instead you can take the chute and roll the chute so the lines wrap around it - using the chute and laying the lines flat. That really lessens the changes of tangling.

Edward

For smooth deployment the planet andy team endorses Gold Bond Medicated powder in a nifty small travel size. Fits nicely in the field box and has a pleasing minty aroma. As for tangles...we're still learning but so far it hasn't been much of an issue when the chute is "peaked", folded and gently wrapped in the shroud lines.

(planet) andy

KT:
Try this: doens't matter how big or small the chute, Talc the heck out of them and use a Swivel to fit the size/weight of your model. These spacer tabs make a wonderful addition.
Hope this helps

For tangles just use a good conditioner. I am partial to Pantene Pro V. It should make the lines soft and silky and really get the rocket noticed at the launch field.

i dont like pro V, its a shampoo/conditioner, and we all know those dont stand up to the high grade products such as two part bio essence, available at bath and body works in the rockingham mall in salem NH. not only does the shampoo get to those tough to reach roots that you just hassle with all day to soap up, but the deep cleansing conditioner really helps the flakes out by moisturising and softening the scalpal region. resulting in extremely shiny hair which is resistent to breakage and makes split ends a thing of the past. not only that, but bio essence is also infused with vitamin D, so your hair will be as healthy as ever before.:cool:

hmm, im not so sure about thinning, i think thats a question for your barber, but it would make the shroud lines almost frictionless and quite fluffy to the touch. sounds like a win win.

I'm fond of Turtle Wax myself. Nothing shines or protects better!

WW

i second that...turtle wax gold is the BEST. i've never seen my truck shine so deep before.

When I started flying HPR I soon got into bagging my parachutes.The making of bags is easy for me because at an early age I was taught how to use a sewing machine. The 'chute on my original conformation rocket I made also, as was the PVC drain pipe rocket that lived to also be my 2nd. level rocket. This design was doubeled for my 3rd. level, and the 'chute was one of those millitary surplus 16' from Aerocon, put into a smaller bag. The bottom of the bag was attached to the nose cone, the 'chute attached to the body by, Yes, A BUNGY CORD, ;} .Short word on bungy. go to REI or other such store,and get climbing bungy cord. Check to see that it has WHITE rubber, not BLACK. Black is adulterated with carbon and other stuff that won't allow it to strech as much as the white which is pure rubber. I attach a small 'chute to the cone to ensure enough drag to pull the 'chute out. Of course the nose and body come down separately.Well, as you are most likley flying LPR this won,t help much plus all the histronics about to be unleashed over using bungy instead of Kevlar, you should mayby invest in small nylon parachutes. thus avoiding stuck together plastic. dave

Back