I must be getting lazy or have no time...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
to work on my builds as much I as I want and when I do have some free time I want to do something else. Too many hobbies not enough time...anyone else have the same problem?

No. Having to work a day job, I plan and schedule rocket work. Usually only have one major project going at once.

You could always hire a tech to help you! Part time.

If you find yourself not in the mood to work on rockets, there's no shame in that. I get burned out on it too. I work at home, no one but me lives here and I have a boat load of free time. You'd think I'd be working on rockets all the time, but noooooooo. I learned a long time ago to never work on them if I'm really tired, angry, mojo took a hike or I'm just not in the mood. My craftsmanship is out the window on that note. I'll screw up more s*** than you can imagine. Better to leave the hobby stuff alone for a while and find something else to get into. Even if it means melting into the couch and OD'ing on some TV or a good movie.

I find that as I'm getting older, and having health issues, I don't have the oomph I once had. Plus the drought and all the cancelled launches kind of took the wind out of my sails for a couple of years. I'm slowly getting back into it, though.

I get burned out/depressed very easily when at home, and it is not limited to rockets. I think it has to do with doing everything from the recliner. I'm hopeful that when I get a wall up in the garage so I have a room to go to I'll have more initiative.

After a launch, my build momentum really slows down. I theorize after a bunch of energy is spent on rockets in a short time, I need to chill out and let it rest.

If sport rocketry starts to feel like a burden, then it becomes exactly the opposite of what I do it for; stress relief.

Full time job, wife, two little kids, church. Very little time for rockets, which is why my Formula 200 took me nine months to finish. :facepalm:

I don't see any problem. If you have activities that you enjoy you're in good shape. So what if it's not always rockets.

I work as a computer IT contractor so most of us know what its like. Feast or famine, so it seems when I'm not working I have all this time on my hands, but working 8-5, walking my dog 4-5 nights / days a week, maintaining the house etc yeah there's not much time. I think last year was the first year I hadn't been to a launch. Plus my other hobbies Nitro RC's and Vintage pinballs...just trying to find some balance.

Five kiddos, 4 of them girls 5 and under, Just bought a house and remodeling it ourselves, Long hours outside at work, and my wife and I each average about 3 hours of sleep a day.... When I finally get a quiet moment to sneak away, I don't make it much further than the couch recently.

The cool thing is I've got a shop in the basement now, so I can just work as I want and leave it where it is. No more annoying "it's dinnertime, get that 12 foot rocket off the table" arguments. :)

I've found myself going from wanting to build and fly a ton of smaller rockets, to less projects and flights, but more complex. I'd like to get to the point I'm flying only 2-3 rockets.

Gary, you need to get yourself a Jack Russell Terrier, like I did.

View attachment 315887

Mine likes to snuggle and don't take up much room in our bed/recliner.

Since my old landlord sold the place a couple months ago, I should ask the new one if I can have a pet. We weren't allowed to have pets here before. Maybe I'll ask him.

17201264_10212495191759514_8935943892159070463_n.jpg17522800_10212658181274150_1140727651375761708_n.jpg
to work on my builds as much I as I want and when I do have some free time I want to do something else. Too many hobbies not enough time...anyone else have the same problem?

yuppers. I also enjoy woodworking, so theres times I might be in a build, then see something woodworking related I want to build. the clock in the pic was one of them. pulled the patterns out- patterns ive had for about 8 years- back in early February and put all rocket stuff aside for a bit while workin on that. I was in the middle of a couple builds at the time.
then theres my lil buddy, my nieces son, that I watch 2 days a week and, in all honesty, whatever he wants to do sounds like fun to me. yesterday, we dug a hole.

View attachment 315889View attachment 315890

yuppers. I also enjoy woodworking, so theres times I might be in a build, then see something woodworking related I want to build. the clock in the pic was one of them. pulled the patterns out- patterns ive had for about 8 years- back in early February and put all rocket stuff aside for a bit while workin on that. I was in the middle of a couple builds at the time.
then theres my lil buddy, my nieces son, that I watch 2 days a week and, in all honesty, whatever he wants to do sounds like fun to me. yesterday, we dug a hole.

Nice work on the clock...great attention to detail and yes digging holes can fun, although most of the time my Siberian Husky has been doing plenty of that. You and your nephew seem to have a lot of fun together...I'm sure when he gets older he'll be helping you on some rockets:)

You are not alone. I have a job in IT, and I average 55 or so hours a week. I am married, two kids, and a house. Throw in some time for the gym too. There is not a ton of time for rockets.

I do not have a ton of time. To be beat and not want to work on rockets, or anything else, is ok. This is supposed to be fun...not another stress injection.

Same at a launch. I usually only fly a rocket a day. Then I help my friends or newer folks.

Sometimes life gets in the way of rockets. I've hardly built anything the last two years. One rocket I mostly painted last May is still sitting waiting for final gloss; started one other build meanwhile, and screwed it up (Fliskits K'Tinga) and haven't had the energy to back it up and fix it. Next plan is to build something relatively simple to get back the juice. Actually just today bought some Brodak sanding sealer online, following up on one of the recommendations of SCIGS30.

I was thinking today that when this project is done, I will potentially have built several rockets that will need paint. Last time I was in this position, the paint pile ended up in the garage and the dogs thought it was more comfortable than the concrete floor. I hope I can retain enough ambition to get these painted and flown after I get back....

I must admit painting motivation is one area where I struggle... but generally I really want the rockets to be *done* so I can force my way through it.

I may end up as one of these, and my plan if so is to just do orange flat over primer. Ignore the weather and the gnats and the scuffs and drips, just seal 'em up.

Back