I miss Polecat Aerospace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inherited a built Polecat 7.5" Thumper with a body tube extension, 5 x 54mm motor mounts. The fiberglass wrap isn't perfect, but it's certainly good enough that I'm not going to try to "fill" it... that would add a LOT of weight to this beast. The nose cone seam has a few voids in it, I will definitely deal with that, though. It's basically just the airframe, so I get to play with things like that AV bay, etc... things I like to do anyway. The plan is to have it ready to do for ROCStock in November.

I've been mistakenly calling it "Wocket" when it's actually "Woket"... likely named that way because it's shaped like Chinese wok (used for cooking... like my mom used every night 😆).
Interesting . . . Actually, a large Wok would, likely, make an excellent "mold" for creating fiberglass " Saucers".

There are many different styles of Woks . . . Round bottom, flat bottom, riveted / non-riveted handles, etc.

https://www.katom.com/learning-center/a-guide-to-woks-wok-ranges.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-3-4-L-x-24-5-8-W-x-9-1-2-H-Carnitas-Cazo-Stainless-Steel-Caso-Pot-Pan-Wok/413374680

1685730863467.png

1685730891924.png

Last edited:
All this nostalgia inspired me to go to the store room. A 5.5 inch Polecat Jayhawk is in process. I decided to go with motor deploy since I do not like the ebay design that was provided with this kit.

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_183040869.jpg
    PXL_20230602_183040869.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The 5.5" Jayhawk was a handsome machine. Good flier, except the shock cord got snagged on the fins... Chute tangled, hard landing, munched airframe and fins. Happened to ours, and several others we saw. Never figured out what to do to prevent that.

I did not set it up for dual deploy. Just glued in the coupler to give a large chute compartment. Maybe a long shock cord will get the chute far enough away from the rocket to prevent it getting tangled up.

Interesting . . . Actually, a large Wok would, likely, make an excellent "mold" for creating fiberglass " Saucers".

There are many different styles of Woks . . . Round bottom, flat bottom, riveted / non-riveted handles, etc.

https://www.katom.com/learning-center/a-guide-to-woks-wok-ranges.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/30-3-4-L-x-24-5-8-W-x-9-1-2-H-Carnitas-Cazo-Stainless-Steel-Caso-Pot-Pan-Wok/413374680

View attachment 584021

View attachment 584022

I am pretty sure that the what was used to make the mould. I have also seen people use a disk harrow.

Maybe it's just me, but once I graduate from 4" diameter, I just don't see the need to buy a kit. I've been scratch building since BT-55 tubes, and once you get into really big rockets, the "kit" is really a nosecone, some fins and some kind of tube and the rest you have to fabricate yourself anyhow, so it seems to me that I may as well just fab everything.

I'm already working a scratch built 4" rocket where I'm fiberglassing the tube, I bought the nosecone at eRockets, and the fins I'm making out of plywood. I've already made centering rings and have a 38mm motor mount tube. It might take me a few months to get the whole thing together, but when it flies is kind of moot right now, as I am not yet L1 -- but the rocket will be ready when I am.
Personally, I'm not that creative to design something. Most of us that are getting kits rather than doing scratch builds are doing so because we just don't feel like designing our own rockets. I've scratched built a few, and it's fun, but it's a lot of time and brain power to make the design. Or, I buy a kit that's close to what I want to do and tweak it.

Today I opened up my Andy era 4" goblin.
1688595972143.png1688596011829.png
1688596035220.png1688596063359.png

Man... I love these kits so much. I just love everything about them. Not planning to build this quite yet. I just wanted to take dimensions for some future upscales I have planned. I recently acquired 10" Thumper parts and a spare 10" nosecone, so I'm thinking a 10" goblin would be awesome. Attached is a dimensionally accurate (to the best of my abilities) Openrocket sim of the 4" goblin. Also, I recently reached out to the current owner and offered laser cutting services, but unfortunately I was met with silence. Hopefully something becomes of Polecat. Something that includes kits becoming available again...

Attachments

• Polecat_4in_Goblin.ork
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
I've been mistakenly calling it "Wocket" when it's actually "Woket"... likely named that way because it's shaped like Chinese wok (used for cooking... like my mom used every night 😆).
Actually iirc a wok (with handles removed) was actually used as the original pattern for the mold, hence the name.

Back