I miss Alaska...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My sister is always sending me these photo's that just make me miss Alaska all that much more! Wish I could get back up there for some salmon fishing!

Here are several pix of a baby moose and mom that moved into her neighborhood as well as a visitor they had at their camp on the Kenai in Soldotna

man....

e5-17-09 cow and calf 5 sm.jpg

e7.5.09 Tara & eagle 2.jpg

e7.5.09 eagle close up 3.jpg

e6.6.09 eagle flying.jpg

e7.5.09 eagle preens 4.jpg

Jim, that's flat out unfair as I was sitting here just last night telling a friend how much I missed it too! I miss waking up every morning and smelling the pines (from my home in the city) and camping on the Kenai lake/river, as well as putting the canoe on top of the van and going out on a lake before work. Or running in the morning, only to have to detour because of a moose cow and calf.

Funny, weird, true story I used to tell people. You know why you never see small dogs or cats outside in Alaska? The bald eagles will take them! I still remember comforting this family who was camping, who drove up from the lower 48, because "Fifi" was taken. They simply made a mistake and didn't know. :(

I work with a guy who used to work at Fort Greely, and the Alaska itch is hard to shake.

I'll be there next week. I have layovers in Fairbanks, Sitka, and Juneau.

It's like no where else on earth.

Maybe we should look into a TRF fishing trip.

Not something we see every day in Essex.
Foxes we can manage.
The occasional cow, but not since foot and mouth.

I've been to their camp (now a cabin) in Soldotna 4 times now, red and king salmon fishing. Simply incredible. I can still recall the smell of the river.

I remember my second trip to the river. I got out of the car and just walked up to the river and stood there for about 45 min...

Yeah, it bit hard and it is very hard to shake. I can understand why my sister packed all her belongings 40 years ago and moved up there...

Back