I met Geddy Lee from the band Rush this weekend

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mushtang

Premium Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So Geddy Lee - the lead singer, bass player, and keyboardist of the band Rush - wrote a coffee table book called The Big Beautiful Book of Bass and is doing book signings all over the country. He did Europe before this I believe.

About a month ago he added the Atlanta date and I decided to buy a ticket for my son. He's 13 and over the years has picked up my love of their music, probably after me listening to it so much in the car as he was growing up. He also likes a lot of 80s music for the same reason. He's started playing guitar and most of what he's learned how to play is Rush songs. Not being a guitar player I don't know this first hand but I've been told that these songs are on the difficult side. I'm very proud of him.

So him being such a huge fan, and the tickets to the book signings being sort of pricey, I decided to let him get the signature instead of me and hoping that I could tag along. But I realized that there was a chance I wouldn't even get to see Geddy without a ticket of my own.

In fact, someone on Reddit told me they went to a signing somewhere in Europe and the store had a hallway that only ticket holders could enter and he was signing in a back room. I'd be bummed to have not been able to see the man myself but happy that my son got to.

Luckily for the Atlanta signing they were in a large room, he was at a table, and the venue allowed one non ticket holder to go along with each ticket, so I was able to see him too. He wasn't signing anything except the book, and wouldn't pose for pictures, but I completely understand that because if he did anything other than sign the book it would take twice as long. They said there was about 1,000 people expected that day.

My son talked to him for about 10 seconds while Geddy signed his book, and got a fist bump (everyone got a fist bump) as I stood back and took pictures/video.

Then as I passed by the table I just said, "Thank you for everything" and got a fist bump too. It was awesome.

Geddy Lee Fist Bump.png

Sweet!! Seen him a few times in concert.

A friend had a cottage down the road form his house back in the 80's got to talk to him a few times..

I miss Rush, hopefully Neal will start to feel the itch and want to play again.

SWEET!!! One of my all-time favorite bands. (Or is it favourite? They are Canadian)

Geddy was one of my biggest influences when I was a budding bass player some 35 years ago. Still is...

One of my musical idols from one of my top 3 favorite all-time bands (maybe top, but that's a hard determination to make). I love him as much for his keyboard playing as everything else. That is what I would tell him if I met him. :)

Back