I messed the paint up BAD.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegillbronco2

Reaction score
8qY1Uq7

This is my Estes mini Nike Smoke (the one that just came out). I guess the pain bled through the tape and started dripping down the side. Does anyone know a way to fix this without going back over it woth spray paint?

Unfortunately I can't see your picture.
You could mask the portion you want to keep, sand down the runs and recoat the portion it dripped on. Can't say much more without the picture.

Darn I was afraid of that. I am on a cell phone ATM I will be able to post the pic from my computer tomarrow

image assistance... A little sanding, a little touch-up - this doesn't look too bad at all.

8qY1Uq7.jpg

If your base coat has been on for a while you could try some paint thinner on the freshly applied paint. On small areas you can dab the paint thinner on with a Q-tip, buff it gently and then just wipe the fresh paint away with a clean Q-tip.

Sand it smooth, spray the white paint into the lid of the can and use a brush to touch up. No masking needed.

If your base coat has been on for a while you could try some paint thinner on the freshly applied paint. On small areas you can dab the paint thinner on with a Q-tip, buff it gently and then just wipe the fresh paint away with a clean Q-tip.

Thats a great tip! By "base coat has been on awhile", I take it you mean longer than 48+ hours for full cure? Just want to make sure I have the story straight before I accidentally massacre my next paint repair

And @Flyfalcons: Also good idea. I've never tried to brush on spray paint before. I'll add that to the bag of techniques to try.

Last edited:
Its been about a week since I applied the base. And around 12 hours since the yello went on

I've had some success using an Exacto knife to very gently scrape the offending color off. If you are careful there is no painting required!

Just my beginners input, but I would have sprayed the fins first then taped them off, that way your spraying down on the tape line, not into it. That way the paint waterfalls over the edge, not under it.

At this point I would tape off the fin where you want the yellow to stop and just respray the white...

Given your timeline, I second this approach. Even lthough the top coat has had a good bit more time to cure at this point, a little careful work using this method has worked for me in a variety of applications.

Its been about a week since I applied the base. And around 12 hours since the yello went on

I say try the paint thinner trick. After all, if it dissolves the base coat too you can re-mask and spray the base again. You were probably going to have to do that if you didn't try the paint thinner anyway, so really no harm done.

Use the best quality painters tape next time. Lightly sand and repaint the white part. Kurt

Agreed, I painted homes for some years in my youth, and painters tape is definitely the way to go, but make sure it's good quality, if the tape is thin and rips as you pull on it, trash it, you want thick quality painters tape.

But of course you want to spray with the tape edge, not against it.

Back