I love my Quantum!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I finally got to fly the Quantum I got for Christmas. This thing is awesome. I love the wifi and the instant data. As I walked to the rocket I was reading the flight data.

When I first saw these kits I was worried they would be too hard to build but now that one of my favorite things to do.

I (the wife) got the Quantum during the last sale, I think it was about $25-$30 bucks. $25 for a wifi enabled, dual deploy capable alti, you can't beat that.............

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1486877789.962261.jpg

I'm building two quantums. I made it half way through them last night. Will finish them both today. They'll go in a MAC Rayzor. No more drilling holes for switches!! I like being able to arm and "see" if the charges have continuity and check the status of my battery while standing a few feet away using my cell phone. No more trying to listen for beeps on the launch pad from redundant electronics.

Why build one when you can build two.... you already have soldering iron hot. :cool:

Speaking of the Quantum. Built 4 and dorked one. With bench testing, all the memories filled up with dummy flights. Is there a need to "erase" them and if so I can't find anything in the manual. If the device simply writes over the oldest memory, I couldn't find that in the manual either. That's fine if the latter is the case. I unfortunately flew an older device and didn't download the prior flight. The altimeter
did the deployments properly but won't write over the memory so the flight wasn't saved.

Kurt

Is there a need to "erase" them and if so I can't find anything in the manual. If the device simply writes over the oldest memory, I couldn't find that in the manual either.

Kurt

I think the answer is on pg 33 of the user manual:

Note that each flight has an index number from 1-15, this is the memory location that it‟s in, and each flight has a Flight number that is sequential from 1 to however many flights you‟ve had with your Quantum. If you fly it enough, you‟ll probably get to the point at which flights drop off, and the flight numbers won‟t start with 1 anymore, but the indexes will always be from 1 to 15.

So there will always be a 1-15 index number but the flight numbers will continue to increase above 15.

I think the answer is on pg 33 of the user manual:

Note that each flight has an index number from 1-15, this is the memory location that it‟s in, and each flight has a Flight number that is sequential from 1 to however many flights you‟ve had with your Quantum. If you fly it enough, you‟ll probably get to the point at which flights drop off, and the flight numbers won‟t start with 1 anymore, but the indexes will always be from 1 to 15.

So there will always be a 1-15 index number but the flight numbers will continue to increase above 15.

Thanks, I'll have to look again. I was looking in the user manual, typing in keywords but missed it. Kurt

It is under the heading"Post Flight Analysis." I remembered seeing it a long time ago but it did take awhile to find it this time around.

It always remembers your last 15 flights, whether they're "real" or in a vacuum jar. I have an outstanding software request to re-use memory locations that never result in a started flight, i.e. if you burn an igniter and disarm it, it will use the same memory location instead of burning one with a "No LDA" status. I'm going to do it, but it won't be in the next release... I got enough in it already.

I'm polishing my soldering skills and will start mine shortly. The timing is pretty good too with the altimeter bay pic thread that is going right now, lots of good ideas to learn from there.

It always remembers your last 15 flights, whether they're "real" or in a vacuum jar. I have an outstanding software request to re-use memory locations that never result in a started flight, i.e. if you burn an igniter and disarm it, it will use the same memory location instead of burning one with a "No LDA" status. I'm going to do it, but it won't be in the next release... I got enough in it already.

Is the "new" Quantum a complete re-design for the option of air-starting or is that a firmware update that is possible for units already in use?
Just curious. Kurt

Is the "new" Quantum a complete re-design for the option of air-starting or is that a firmware update that is possible for units already in use?
Just curious. Kurt

No, airstarting is just a feature in the upcoming update. No hardware changes.

I just built my second quantum last night, love the egg-series of products- have got a bevy of them...but @Cris- what's with the name again?

Any thoughts on Wifi updating? I'd love to simply connect and update the web page if that's the only update in the future.

I looked at doing a WiFi update of the firmware, it's a rather tricky thing and it just sounded a little too fidgety to make people do. The cable update is extremely reliable, and it uses the same cable that I've been selling since Day One. It's actually much easier to update the WiFi modules in the Quantum and WiFi Switch than on the AVR processors in the Eggtimer/LCD/TRS... there are no critical timing nasties.

Back