I launched ROCKETS!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, at the CMASS launch a few days ago, my dad bought my friend Jake a rocket... A Fliskits Praetor... And, today, I called him to see if he wanted to come over and "play" (in other words, blow the crap out of a rotten plum with our BB guns... :D ). He told me he had finished his rocket, and wanted to fly it. So the plum was spared. :D We left at about 6:30, and flew my Silver Bullet on a D12-3. Good flight, yada yada yada. Then my controller died... So we changed the batteries. Is still wouldent work. We went back to the car and got another controller. Still no joy. We eventually put another set of battaries in, and it finally started working. By then it was 7:30, and it was getting slightly darker... Not really noticable, but VERY noticable in the launch pics. :D :cool:. We got 4 flights of his Praetor in, and I got 4 flights in. All of them were destroyed, lost, or mysteriously dissapeared. Well, one of them was not so mysterious: An E9-8 in a minimum diameter IQSY Tomahawk. I got a picture of it on the pad, then a load of smoke... :D GONE. Didnt even TRY to figure out where it went. Then my Silver bullet on a D. Found it, flew it again on the same motor... This time it lawn-darted... Into the dense brush. We could hear it crashing through the dead branches on its way down... :eek: We never found it. And then my modified single-stage Echostar, on a C. Drifted into a tree... Ill go get it tomorrow.

Since most of our birds flew at about dusk, the pics are spectacular. Comparable with a G64 on a normal day... But really, there wasnt any visible difference at the field... Go figure. I aint complaining, though!

Heres my Dude rocket on a D12-3... Just lookit that flame!

And heres the Praetor on a C6-5... The nose is missing from the picture, regrettably... Otherwise a nice picture, though!

And my modified Echostar truckin' towards the woods... I think the launch lug fell off or something causing it to angle way more than it should have...

Oh, and the Dude ploughed into a boulder, and was just about completely destroyed. :cool: :cool:

And his Praetor never got a scratch. Thats cause he cared a lot more than I did about getting my rockets back... :D :rolleyes:

In other words, WE HAD FUN!!! I think his dad did, too. :)

Hmm looks like a serious case of 'rod-whip' on the Echostar. Sweet pics!!
Karl

Nice bit of photo-editing there, but when you lightened the photo, it distorted the flame... :(

I like the second one, though! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

great job and I love the pix! Ask him if you can get a photo of him with his praetor so that we can see the paint job! :)

It isnt painted.... Heres a pic of him with the rocket, though.

While I was taking this, I said "ya know, when I strike a pose with my rocket on the pad, I am usually standing up..." :D

After we got back in the car, he said "Ok. You got me hooked." Methinks he might ask you about bulk shipping rates soon, Jim... :D ;)

My dad said that you said that the Praetor needed nice big fillets... So I told him to use epoxy... He did very well, considering that this is his first time using epoxy to make a fillet, and the first time he actually had to MAKE a fillet... :) The only other rockets he has made had plastic fin cans.... Yuck. :(

Great picture and I am thrilled that his first rocketry experience was with a FlisKits kit :)

Neil, Yea I remember that. Strong filets on the Praetor is just good sense when you consider the size of those fins :)

Well, it wasnt his first... But I think it was by far the best! Ill post a picture of it when he paints it... :)

If it wasnt for him, I proabably wouldent be doing rockets right now.... He let me use the launch pad he had gotten from summer camp... I took my rockets to the next level, and he just gave up on the whole thing. Now I think we got him back into rocketry...

Does he count as a BAR yet? :D :p

Last time I launched that late, I got the cops called on me...

Nice pics, BTW... For some reason D12s looks better in the dark...

Scott McNeely

Back