I just got another crazy idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
I'm going into the Navy in February. After 9 weeks of boot camp, I have about 27 weeks of schooling. After 16 weeks, I get two weeks off. I definitely want to fly something cool during my vacation. I'm planning on getting a set of 54mm casings sometime next month. So I was trying to think what to do with them. Here's what I came up with. :D

Right now, the only 54mm capable rocket is my Extreme Performer. I've flown it 7 times and it's looking pretty ragged. I'm sure it would survive a J275 and probably a J415. But those are to wimpy. I want to fly a K motor. (we really need a smily with an evil grin) So here's what I'm going to do. First, I will take off the paint on the fin section and fiberglass them tip to tip. I will epoxy in full length couplers in all the tubes. I am going to completely replace the altimeter bay. The one it has now is looking pretty shabby. I will also add couple pounds of nose weight to keep the stability up and the altitude/speed down.

My goal is to fly it on a K1100T:D I've seen a 10 pound Quantum Tube rocket survive the mighty K700W. I think mine will hold together. If not, oh well. It's flown 7 times already. It's time for a new one.:)

So tell me, am I a genius or just crazy?:D

Originally posted by Rocketman248
<SNIP>

So tell me, am I a genius or just crazy?:D

Nah, just sounds like you are planning on being "rocket-deprived" or have a plan of attack to counter the rocket withdrawals! :D

Good luck with the Navy BTW. I served my 4 in the Air Force and I certainly don't regret one bit of it.

Rocketman...it should do fine!!! I recently saw a club member fly his Amraam 4, normally a 6lb rocket, on a Cesaroni 54mm Smokey Sam...a FIVE GRAIN 1750NS HONK'IN K560...awesome flight. His Amraam was modded to NOT break our 4500' waiver...he got 4100'.

The model weighed a whopping 20 lbs!!! The nosecone alone felt like solid lead. It was a successful recovery too, but he spit the casing...and with 150+ invested in it, he shows up every launch with his metal detector to find it. so far he has covered about 200 of the 600+ acres.

So...you can do it man...but don't weigh it down...shoot, why am I telling you that? You are THE ULTIMATE SPEED DEMON!!! :)

Carl

Well, i'm planning on launching it at METRA. They launch from a huge sod farm and they have a 12,000 foot waiver. I don't think I will weigh it down that much. I just don't want it to get stuck in the transonic region.

I also have the Slimline motor retainer on this rocket. I probably won't spit the casing. If I do, you better believe i'll be out there with a metal detector.:)

Well, i've just gotten started with this project. I just ordered the 3.9" avionics bay from Binder Design. Does anyone have experience with these? Those eyebolts look pretty small. I will probably replace them with U-bolts. I may also replace to rods with larger ones.

Check it out here.

I can just hear Nick after serving as the country's LCO for 4 years and coming back to a HPR launch watching Carl prep an *M* motor...

"puh! I've used *igniters* with more newtons than that motor, kid."

:D :D : D :D

My oldest brother, Jimmy was in the navy
,he eventually served on the carrier Enterprise. I remember him telling me they had a group of guys that launched model rockets from the flight deck while out at sea.( and that most of them landed in the ocean).

I just want to say good luck in the Navy it's a good choice, if ya get a choice, request duty aboard an amphibious landing ship where you'll have an oppurtunity to serve with Americas finest; the United States Marine Corps.

JOOC, does anyone have a picture of someone holding the 54/2560 motor? I want to see how big it is. I'm probably going to get the 54mm mega system, as well as an extended forward closure. I really want to fly a K700W, and a long burn c-slot motor someday.

Here is a pic pf the K700 case. Just mentally remove the nitrous tank on the forward end;)

HTH

would help if I attached the pic huh!:D :kill:

HTH (for real this time)

Well, i've gotten started on this project. I got the altimeter bay from Binder Design. I had to peel a layer or two off of the tubes to make them fit inside my rocket. Don't worry, I will be fiberglassing the inside of the coupler tubes.

I have also started taking the paint off of the fins. It's not working as well as I had thought. Does anybody have any tips to remove the paint and primer?

Sorry no pics yet. I haven't done enough yet.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back