I just got a Micromaxx starter kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jclark

Reaction score
I have been wanting one of these for years and finally got one. Several years i tried to buy one at a local hobby shop, they didn't have them, so i ended up with the Estes version; the ones that fly like cruse missiles. Now i have the real micromaxx, just waiting for some good weather so i can try them out.

Jeremy

Wait...the "Estes" version?

Please explain.

I didn't know Estes had Micro Maxx.

I think he means the RTF micromaxx's from Quest and not the kind you build yerself. maybe.

Dude, very soon you will be wanting something that flys more stable so definitely get a Fliskit and/or parts from Fliss or join the Yahoo Groups Micromaxx group for some free scale plans. Saying that, I just realized I have not flown any of my built Fliss micros yet. cuz they look too cool.

Last edited:
No, They were small rockets that used the standard Estes mini motors; i forget what they are called, they are OOP now. It was a set that came with 2 rockets about 4 inches tall.

Jeremy

So you really want to talk about Estes mini rockets and not MicroMaxx?

No, i'm done with those horrible things. I just picked up the Micromaxx starter set; but, i haven't been able to try it yet, because it has either been too windy, or rainy. It came with 8 rockets, does anyone know which one fly's the best?

Jeremy

The Saturn IV and the UFO have the best reputation from what I have read, enjoy the little plastic bricks :D

I know what Jeremy means - the Mini Super Shot rockets by Estes.

Hmmm,,,, Jeremy Clark? Wait, I know a Jeremy Clark... You wouldn't happen to hail from Star Lake, NY, would you? :confused:

Mark K.

No, i'm done with those horrible things. I just picked up the Micromaxx starter set; but, i haven't been able to try it yet, because it has either been too windy, or rainy. It came with 8 rockets, does anyone know which one fly's the best?

Jeremy

Welcome to the wonderful world of Micro's Jeremy;
Actually there are several things you'll want to do with your new starter set to increase your LPB Micro flying enjoyment:

First the Saturn-V is almost always unstable out of the bag even the ones with larger fins. We've come to expect this state and have an easy and quick fix for this great little model. She just needs some very small clear triangles added above the existing fins to make it fly very well. see Photo below. I used the clear window material from the starter set for these added fin additions with a little CA.

With any wind at all the tiny shuttle orbiter will corkscrew in flight, on dead calm days it flys OK.

As ScrapDaddy mentioned the UFO flys well but only gets about 25feet on a MMX-II motor.

The rest fly very well particulally the Tomahawk ALCM and the 3F&NC Raw Fusion & Vector models. That darn SR-71 always seems to want to lawndart for me LOL! but flys OK. Proper preperation of the streamer is very critical with the SR-71.

A couple things about prepping these models:
1) The LPBs (Little Plastic Bricks) with piston streamer retainers need some attention before launch.
PLEASE NOTE: The mylar Foil Streamer WILL NOT unwrap from the stem if left rolled as they come from the factory.
* Unwrap them completely to the attachment tape.
* Talc Baby powder both side very well.
* Fold the streamer in half, then half again and again until the streamer will make a single wrap around the piston rod. Slide into the closed postions and insert a motor.
* snap-lock motor mounts have a tendency to popoff is not secured with a small piece of 1/4" masking tape.

* On a few model (Space Freighter and Shuttle) their Streamer are attached to very short shockcords. Over time I've learned a tiny piece of FPrecovery wadding with greatly extend the usable life of these recovery systems. used as they are they last only 3 to 5 flights.

Controllers: If you have either the OLD style Silo Launcher or the Newer Pistol grip controller both can be used directly as they come on a 12v battery with an exterior drop clip and alligator connector that can be purchased from Quest or made with a 9v battery clip or spent 9v battery. I've been using these controllers on 12V gel-cell batteries for the last 10 year or so without a single problem with either type controller. (See Photo)

If you must for the time being use 9volt batteries. it is STRONGLY suggested the only type to use are 9v energizer Lithium 9v's. They will give you at least 15 launches were the best Duracell 9volt batteries only lasted about 5. That is with the old style Plug type igniters. I haven't done another test with the new micro Q2 bare nichrome igniters but I can't see there being that much difference.

It is also extremely important that the nichrome igniter wire is touching the propellant inside the nozzle. take care to see the model sets on the igniter well.

Hope these suggestions, photos and tips help.
Come and join us in the MicroMaxRockets group theres lots of good stuff to be downloaded from the photos and files sections;)

MM ControllerConversion-3_12v drop Cord_07-21-02.jpg

Quest Pgrip-4-sm_3pic pg_10-04-08.JPG

MM Igniters-a3_MM igniters &Q2-type a&b_00-06.jpg

Q2 (Bare) Igniter in Holdertube On Quest launcher_03-09.jpg

Last edited:

Hmmm,,,, Jeremy Clark? Wait, I know a Jeremy Clark... You wouldn't happen to hail from Star Lake, NY, would you? :confused:

Mark K.

Yep Mark that's them!
they are a lot of fun as well. I though they were now part of the Launchables collections? they are all plastic, you build little 13mm motor models. fun on 1/4A's....man does not live by Micro's alone LOL!!!!

428-sm_Mini ALCM Cruise Missile_12-08-02.jpg

429-sm_Mini Maverick_12-08-02.jpg

430-sm_Space Hauler_12-09-02.jpg

431-sm_Space Bus_12-09-02.jpg

Oo I need to get one of those Space Buses. My daughter loves the 'magic school bus' book series, where the bus turns into all sorts of vehicles. I'm sure it's been a rocket before, and looked just like that. She'd eat that up.

Oo I need to get one of those Space Buses. My daughter loves the 'magic school bus' book series, where the bus turns into all sorts of vehicles. I'm sure it's been a rocket before, and looked just like that. She'd eat that up.

They don't fly very well, i only flew mine once; it flew in a long arc, then powered into the ground. The engine hook impinges on the nozzle, but i don't think that is the problem. Other Estes minis are built the same way and fly just fine. i think they need more nose weight.

Jeremy

Mark K.

No, not from star lake, Citrus Heights California.

Jeremy

Welcome to the wonderful world of Micro's Jeremy;
Actually there are several things you'll want to do with your new starter set to increase your LPB Micro flying enjoyment:

First the Saturn-V is almost always unstable out of the bag even the ones with larger fins. We've come to expect this state and have an easy and quick fix for this great little model. She just needs some very small clear triangles added above the existing fins to make it fly very well. see Photo below. I used the clear window material from the starter set for these added fin additions with a little CA.

With any wind at all the tiny shuttle orbiter will corkscrew in flight, on dead calm days it flys OK.

As ScrapDaddy mentioned the UFO flys well but only gets about 25feet on a MMX-II motor.

The rest fly very well particulally the Tomahawk ALCM and the 3F&NC Raw Fusion & Vector models. That darn SR-71 always seems to want to lawndart for me LOL! but flys OK. Proper preperation of the streamer is very critical with the SR-71.

A couple things about prepping these models:
1) The LPBs (Little Plastic Bricks) with piston streamer retainers need some attention before launch.
PLEASE NOTE: The mylar Foil Streamer WILL NOT unwrap from the stem if left rolled as they come from the factory.
* Unwrap them completely to the attachment tape.
* Talc Baby powder both side very well.
* Fold the streamer in half, then half again and again until the streamer will make a single wrap around the piston rod. Slide into the closed postions and insert a motor.
* snap-lock motor mounts have a tendency to popoff is not secured with a small piece of 1/4" masking tape.

* On a few model (Space Freighter and Shuttle) their Streamer are attached to very short shockcords. Over time I've learned a tiny piece of FPrecovery wadding with greatly extend the usable life of these recovery systems. used as they are they last only 3 to 5 flights.

Controllers: If you have either the OLD style Silo Launcher or the Newer Pistol grip controller both can be used directly as they come on a 12v battery with an exterior drop clip and alligator connector that can be purchased from Quest or made with a 9v battery clip or spent 9v battery. I've been using these controllers on 12V gel-cell batteries for the last 10 year or so without a single problem with either type controller. (See Photo)

If you must for the time being use 9volt batteries. it is STRONGLY suggested the only type to use are 9v energizer Lithium 9v's. They will give you at least 15 launches were the best Duracell 9volt batteries only lasted about 5. That is with the old style Plug type igniters. I haven't done another test with the new micro Q2 bare nichrome igniters but I can't see there being that much difference.

It is also extremely important that the nichrome igniter wire is touching the propellant inside the nozzle. take care to see the model sets on the igniter well.

Hope these suggestions, photos and tips help.
Come and join us in the MicroMaxRockets group theres lots of good stuff to be downloaded from the photos and files sections;)

Thanks for the tips, not what clear window material you are talking about, but i get the idea. I just put a fresh Duracell in my launch controller, but it hardly seems worth it for 5 launches, and it's still raining. I will make an external power adapter for it. I used to have one of those 12 volt nicad packs that Pratt Hobbies used to make, but it recently died on me.

Jeremy

Looked at eBay and saw they a Super Shot pack with a silver Space Bus with different markings. Micro, I see yours is from 2002. Is it much older than that or is that when you bought it?

Looked at eBay and saw they a Super Shot pack with a silver Space Bus with different markings. Micro, I see yours is from 2002. Is it much older than that or is that when you bought it?

That's about when I bought it at Wal-mart in a launchables 2 model box. I seem to think it was some sort of starter kit? I'm kinda partical to the Space bus myself it's a fun little flying thing on 1/4A and 1/2A motors. Hope you can find one for your daughter.

DSC03986.JPG

Bada bing....thank you Ebay for extra dad-points!

Now that's a GREAT Photo!
Looks like ONE happy Mini-lady rocketeer LOL!!! Hope you guys have as much fun with your spacebus as I have:)

I was hoping to launch it this weekend, but that didn't happen, so we'll have to wait. The Launch Pad it came with is kinda cool with it's furturistic motif, but doesn't look too sturdy. It's also Kelly green- I think I'll have to paint it some other more manly color.

They don't fly very well, i only flew mine once; it flew in a long arc, then powered into the ground. The engine hook impinges on the nozzle, but i don't think that is the problem. Other Estes minis are built the same way and fly just fine. i think they need more nose weight.

Jeremy

I have flown my Estes mini's numerous times with great flights each time. The only mod I have done is to trim back the motor hook a bit on the one that has it. Other than that, they are pretty much stock. I really like the one that looks like a school bus in the pic above (although mine is the older purple model). It has a cool flight pattern where it just kind of stalls and wobbles at the top of the burn, which turns out to be a crowd pleaser for some reason.

Back on topic, I really want to get one of these MMX setups. How big of an area do you need to launch these things? Would a decent sized backyard be feasible?

I have flown my Estes mini's numerous times with great flights each time. The only mod I have done is to trim back the motor hook a bit on the one that has it. Other than that, they are pretty much stock. I really like the one that looks like a school bus in the pic above (although mine is the older purple model). It has a cool flight pattern where it just kind of stalls and wobbles at the top of the burn, which turns out to be a crowd pleaser for some reason.

Back on topic, I really want to get one of these MMX setups. How big of an area do you need to launch these things? Would a decent sized backyard be feasible?

The Bigger the field the better of coarse but I've launched Micros from a Grade School basketball half court. Had to limit flights to heavier low flying models but it's very possible to fly in the back yard. One of my buddies flying Micro's in his front yard surrounded by 100foot oak and maple trees. he tells me most of the models recover Ok... some have to wait for the breeze awhile:) LOL!!!!

Once you start building your own very light weight, high performance micros...yes I know to some that sounds like an oxymoron but some of these models can reach over 300feet in about a second. seems pretty high performance to me.

Back