I jumped in with both feet...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewEntity1

Reaction score
I went to the Southern California Rocket Association's event at the Santa Fe **** this morning... It was raining when I got there, and I expected everything would be canceled :(
I paid the entry fee anyway, figuring 'oh well, I've already driven out here...I might as well get a good look at the launch area to see what it looks like.

Much to my surprise, over at the section of the park where the launch is held, were several cars parked together and six rocket rods set up, along with a few morose-looking people standing around in the rain holding umbrelles (and a couple even more morose ones NOT holding umbrellas). :eek: :eek:

You people must be fanatics :D

At any rate, I joined them (fanatic in the making?), hoping the rain would let up...and it did!
After about an hour, I got to see my first in-person launches since 1979 :)

After awhile, the sun even managed to peek partially through the clouds, before the clouds starting drawing in again.

Thenumber of people at this launch was less than they typically have, I was told...on account of the weather. I was also informed that the park does not allow the sales by Vendors on site, which meant that I would have to go buy what I needed to get started online. I will followup this message with a couple screen caps I took of my purchases from A2Z Hobbies, and you'll see why I say "Jumped in with both feet" :D

NewEntity1 even though you were not able to purchase from the vendors as expected, the question is: Did you have a good time, enjoy the meeting of folks and rocket experience? Silly question, rain and all, I bet you did.

Originally posted by NewEntity1

You people must be fanatics :D

uh.... Yeah !!!

So what's your point?

Seriously - Glad you had a good time. You'll find that there are so many different facets of rocketry that you'll simply never be able to exhaust the possibilities.

But - that's a good thing !!

What I've learned is that losing rockets and missing out on flying due to poor weather kinda have their similarities.

So what did you get to see fly? Any composites? Check out https://www.greatlakeshobbies.com for composite motors. I've had really good service from them in the past. They don't charge inflated HAZMAT fees for shipping either.

Welcome aboard! Gotta see those screen shots of the purchases. I'm curious to see if you're a "big baller" like some of these guys. :D Nah, just kidding really. Glad to see you have taken a liking to the hobby once more. Have fun and let's see some pictures!

Yes, I did have a good time, and they (the other members of SCRA) seem like good people, albeit a bit twisted ;)

eugenefl, I'll have to try that link you provided. A2Z had very good base prices for all there items (for example, $28 for the Super shot start kit, as compared to a $41 list price). I had to have my shipment broken um into two separated packages, and have the package of Estes B moters shipped separately by USPS ground as 'hazardous materials' The $13.95 shipping charges seemed a bit pricey over all, for ground transport.

Here is the PNG that explains why I said I jumped in with both feet, heh :D . As you can see, there are a lot of little items on that list.

I really didnt need to purchase all these items, especially the exacto knife...I' sure I have two or three lying around somewhere, and the sanding stick is just plain silly...I could have bought a lot more paper for a lote less at Home Depot. The same goes for the glues. I guess I just wanted to have everything I would need in one big box, ready to go. I also realize that the starter kit comes with both engines and wadding...I just bought the extras so I wouldn't have to go out and buy more right away, although I suppose I shoulda have bought a pack of C6-4s as well then.

I didn't buy any paints or clear-kote yet (I will need it for the Big Bertha), nor did I purchase any CA or Epoxy...I'll buy those items down the line when start on some larger projects.

Originally posted by NewEntity1
I really didnt need to purchase all these items

Oh the power of enthusiasm :) I know the feeling, I ordered a book from Apogee Friday evening and what the heck, might as well throw in those two kits as well, its only another $1.00 on the shipping. :)

About some of the rockets that various people fired off sunday...

Mostly Estes kits with black powder engines were being launched, with about an equal number of 18 mm and 24 mm rockets just about. There were two Executioners, a Phoenix, a V2, a Fatboy, and a couple others all flying off of E9s. As for me, I bought a 3 stage already-built (but not finished) 13mm rocket that one of the club sponser's was giving away cheap, and flew it once.

There was also an Aerotech Tomahawk and one other rocket I didn't recognize that launched off of Aerotech F21 composite moters. :cool: Or maybe it was the Phoenix which went up on the other F21...I can't remember now. Alas, the Tomahawk zippered, but not real deep...it's owner figured it would be back in action in time for Tripoli's launch on the 13th ( I won't be able to make that launch...I'll be working :( ). This is making me think, though, that I might try reinforcing the top of the airframe slightly when I move up to Aerotech-sized rockets of my own.

Hopefully by the next SCRA launch at Santa Fe Dam, I'll have three new rockets of my own ready to fly, and enough engines for 2 flights each...plus I'll probably send that tiny 3 stager up one more time ;)

Why wouldn't the park let vendors sell on site? Was it a zoning law with the town or land owner. I wouldn't think the club would impose this would they?

The ban is by the park itself.

The Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area is a state park. Not sure if this applies to all state parks, but this park bans any kind of vendors -- even food vendors -- within the park limits.

BTW it's been five days and I've yet to receive an shipping-tracking number from A2Z Hobbies. In the online checkout I had selected the option to ship any parts they had in stock imediately and not wait for back-ordered items, so I should have had a UPS tracking number 2 days ago.

I got my NAR membership card in the mail today :)

I notice, though, that they put the club I signed up with right on the membership card (section #430). Since section #430 doesn't do any HPR, I was planning on being a member of ROC (section #538) as well as #430. I probably still will launch low-mid power most of the time, for the convenience factor, but I do want to have the opportunity to eventually build and fly some high power kits as well.

NewEntity1:

ROC rocks!!

just got back from a really long drive. I think we put 820 miles on the truck to get to Lucerne and back.

this time flew a bunch of level 1 stuff (upscale Tristar!!) and minimum diameter RMS stuff (2500' Cherokee D etc.)

good points: ROC runs a good launch. we lost 2 rockets in the first 3 launches. the 2 rockets were both returned to the lost+found table by the end of the day. moral: always launch with 5 or 6 dozen boy scouts around, they will return your rocket! just to be fair we ended up returning a couple rockets we found on the playa.

bad points: we had all kinds of trouble with Copperhead ignitors! never had so much trouble before. the one vendor packed up early in the morning. turns out he had to go support another launch at Carlsbad. so, I did not have a chance to get some different delays for the 29mm, which would have allowed us to blast the Mighty Crayon 5.

obligatory Jim Flis content: my Deuce's Wild and upscale USS Grissom were real hits. I didn't fly the Rickter Recker this time.

my son says it was worth it and told everyone we're going back next month.

did you get any pix of the Deuce or upscale Grissom?? I need to refurbish my Grissom due to a crimp in one of the ducting tubes but i just love that model :)

Couldn't attand the Roc launch yesterday...had to work :(

Ignitors:
One of the launches on Dec 7th at Santa Fe used what he called Maglite igniters...it seemed a little more elegant than the two-sided single strip of copper that was used as an igniter for the other F launches that day.

Jim, I only took two pictures yesterday - the frozen ground at sunrise, and the stuff scattered around the truck after the day's flying. pathetic picture-taking, but we were busy all day!

Originally posted by cls
Jim, I only took two pictures yesterday - the frozen ground at sunrise, and the stuff scattered around the truck after the day's flying. pathetic picture-taking, but we were busy all day!

Cliff, from your location I assume you attend launches in Cupertino, do you also attend the ones in Livermore?

I have yet to attend a launch and plan to attend Livermore when they have one not cancelled :) I am east of you in the foothills ... Sonora.

Back