I have this really bad itch...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuddrucker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
...to launch some rockets!!

Man, I have the itch REAL bad. I have not flown anything since June. I have built several rockets since then & with the cooler weather coming up, Plaster Blaster, ROC's monthly launch in Oct., and RocStock in November I JUST CAN'T WAIT:eek: .
Heck, I was dreaming about rockets the other night.

:eek: Arrgh,,,I need to smell some black powder burning. To me there is nothing like the great smell of a new rocket after that first launch on a black powder motor. Mmmm!

Anyone else ever get this way? Hmm,,,I may be losing my mind.
:confused: :) :confused: :) :D

Cheap 'N' easy way to smell BP residue:

dig a hole in the backyard

get a BP motor of your choice

insert into hole nozzle up

pack dirt around it

install an igniter

connect to a battery and Ol' Bob's your uncle.

Fun to do, more fun with AP motors.

I find a length of quick match will do the trick too.

But seriously, I used to have a collection of spent motors on, my desk at work. When things got really rough, a quick sniff would have me dreaming of the launch site...

the government is gonna get on our case for using rocket motors as drugs with you guys talkin like that :p

sometimes the only thing that can humanly calm me down is launching things, so ill get one of my modified little die cast cars and shoot em around in the backyard (great stress relief)

I keep some spent motors on my dresser that I can sniff before going to bed.
3 weeks till next launch.

For a quick BP fix...buy an Estes Snitch or the Fliskit Triple Threat or any of Art Appelwhites saucer.

They don't go high and you get to blow some BP motors!

OR...build some Micro Maxx models. All you need is a big back yard!:D

Originally posted by missileman
I keep some spent motors on my dresser that I can sniff before going to bed.
3 weeks till next launch.

hahaha...Oh man, when I read that I got this mental image of me sitting in the garage snorting a BP motor and my wife coming out, seeing me and getting that look on her face like "what the heck are you doing" with her head cocked over to the side and one eyebrow higher than the other.
:p

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
When things got really rough, a quick sniff
Reminds me of school & TippEx thinners ;)

I knows that itch, though - last November I got the itch one Saturday. It wasn't very windy, and the rain was holding off, so I set off for my local field. I had two rockets with me :- My Sunward Moondance and my Rockethead BattleAxe.

Moondance first, on a B6-4 - lovely flight, as ever.

It had started to drizzle, but I decided to launch the BattleAxe on a B6-4 - great flight, but she drifted into the next field (surounded by barbed wire, and containing cows).

It had started to rain proper, by now, so I packed everything up and set off to retrieve my BattleAxe. I left my gear by the fence, climbed over, got my rocket, and tried climbing back over the fence.

It was here that things went pear-shaped. :eek:

I caught the back of my trousers on the fence, I slipped trying to unhook myself, ripping my trousers and causing me to stand on the bag containing the Moondance - CRUNCH! :(

The rain was really hoofing-it-down all the way home, and when I got in, I found that the fins had broken off the BattleAxe on the way home too! :( :(

Sometimes you must resist that itch!

Originally posted by Fuddrucker
...to launch some rockets!!

Man, I have the itch REAL bad. I have not flown anything since June. I have built several rockets since then & with the cooler weather coming up, Plaster Blaster, ROC's monthly launch in Oct., and RocStock in November I JUST CAN'T WAIT:eek: .
Heck, I was dreaming about rockets the other night.

:eek: Arrgh,,,I need to smell some black powder burning. To me there is nothing like the great smell of a new rocket after that first launch on a black powder motor. Mmmm!

Anyone else ever get this way? Hmm,,,I may be losing my mind.
:confused: :) :confused: :) :D

The Birdie. I launched mine many many times from my yard, not 100 feet from the house. Worst that could happen was it landed on the roof, and I got the ladder out to go get it, and jumped off the roof to practice my 3 point roll and launched it again.....

Oh yeah, launch a birdie. Durn near indestructible and will fly almost anywhere.

Or a Snitch

And darn near anything by Art Applewhite ~ I'm considerig the first ever Pro38 1g suburban back yard launch this way...

I have the itch too, but Ivan washed out the road almost directly in front of the entrance to the park I fly in. PennDoT is working at their custoary speed fixing the road. :kill: I hope to be back in there before the weather gets too cold.

I'm stuck here in Florida and man do I need to fly some rockets! I'd say that's the #1 thing I miss about California right now. I have a bunch of rockets and rocketry stuff in my room. Today my RA came in and hassled me about it but he can't do anything because I don't have any motors. And yes, I have the rocket dreams too.

dormrockets.jpg

On my dresser I have an Estes Snapshot, Eliminator, Alpha III, and some RTF rocket. Yeah that is a jet engine blade next to my clock radio. It's from a Pratt & Whitney JT8D turbofan. On my stack of CDs is a spent Pro54 nozzle from a K570. Under my bed are some unbuilt Estes kits and some of my RMS hardware just in case build anything to fly it in.

Originally posted by Fuddrucker
[BAnyone else ever get this way? Hmm,,,I may be losing my mind.
:confused: :) :confused: :) :D [/B]
Yep. It didn't take as long, either - I hadn't flown anything between the beginning of June (UKRA 2004) and the end of August (IRW 2004). There was only one solution - burn lots of motors together in one rocket. :)
Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I find a length of quick match will do the trick too.
That explains this! ;)

Glad to see others are as "Itchy" as I am. Now I know I am not nuts.

Only a week to go before I get my fix real good. Let's see....
Plaster Blaster in one week, ROC monthly club launch the weekend after that and.....(drumroll please).........ROCSTOCK XX the next month. WooHoo!!

Ozymandias,,, I have never met you face to face but I know we have been to several of the ROC launches at the same time. If you are able to make it out to Plaster Blaster or RocStock mabey we can actually meet.

...Fudd

Latest posts

Back