I have a Tube ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todpod

Reaction score
This maybe a dumb idea, I was thinking maybe a person could use PVC pipe for rocket tubes.

Here is my reasoning and concerns:

Its cheap, I am not talking schedule 40, I am thinking more of the lite weight pipe. 3 or 4 $ for 10' of 3" or 4" pipe

There is also numerous different adapters to go from size to size.

Problems

Saftey (main concern)- would this be any less safe then fibergaless of carbon fiber tuber they probably would be stronger.

Nose coses or lack there of, but that could be addressed.

Would it melt?

Any thoughts would be help.

Thanks Todd

Originally posted by todpod
This maybe a dumb idea, I was thinking maybe a person could use PVC pipe for rocket tubes.

Problems

Saftey (main concern)- would this be any less safe then fibergaless of carbon fiber tuber they probably would be stronger.

Welcome to the Forum Todd,

I would first say, this is not a dumb question....... I myself have thought of it, but I wonder if PVC pipe falls into the catagory of "un-safe" matterials?????

What does NAR's "little pink book" say????? (I am sure someone else will jump in here soon with an answer)

I have heard about people using PVC for rockets. I believe that it tends to be brittle and is heavy, even the thinner stuff. If you deal with these issues I guess it could be used. Quantum tube is plastic too.

repeat after me ... PVC pipe is NOT structural material!

it is too heavy, too soft, and too flexible, it is not heat or chemical resistant (how does that PVC cement work anyways?). it's brittle when it is cold. great for certain applications like pipes in the ground but not worthy of consideration for any other application.

if you like the size then use the pipe as a mandrel and make your own tubes. you can spiral wrap a couple layers of Bristol Board - works great! or use fiberglass if you want to get serious.

The amature guys use plenty of PVC...but you need to really know the propertys and limitations of it,it does have it's uses..but...
thats a whole other avenue ....
traditional materials (kraft/phenolic/different fibers) will outperform pvc by a mile in weight and strength

PVC pipe is NOT structural material!

PCV fitting work well for ejection cannons (a non-structural application)

BTW...I agree with cls. You can build a rocket from it, but there are better options.

certainly, people do some amazing things with PVC. I was just looking at a website where a guy builds fairly high powered sugar motors out of PVC. I wouldn't do that! I think aluminum works great for motors, but hey what do I know!!

Thanks for the replies, It did seem to good to be true. I figure there were reasons people didn't use this for rockets.

Originally posted by rstaff3
I have heard about people using PVC for rockets. I believe that it tends to be brittle and is heavy, even the thinner stuff. If you deal with these issues I guess it could be used. Quantum tube is plastic too.

What are the properties of this "quantum tubing"? Where can you get it?

QT is made by Public Missiles Ltd (PML) https://www.publicmissiles.com/publicmissiles/ They now feature it on most of their kits (maybe not the largest ones). Its is a gray plastic and seems tough enough. It finishes well, since it is smooth and seamless. The one drawback that comes to mind is that in chilly temps is shrinks more than other stuff, like the phenolic they use in their pistons. This cause the pistons to bind. It may also be brittle in really cold temps.

Back