I hate Yellow Paint...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are about to add a few new yellow pigments to our inventory. One of them costs us $600/gallon! But it is super bright and seems to offer good hide. We'll see how it helps in formulating better hiding yellows.

BTW, we recently added a new yellow metallic and it covered fairly well. I used it to paint a video housing for the rocket we 3D printed using black filament. I did one coat of a gray primer, one coat of white spray paint, one coat of yellow spray paint, and two coats of the metallic yellow and it looks awesome
Got any pictures of it?

Many light spray coats will do the trick. Most people think a couple of medium coats will do it but if you want proper coverage you should do at least 3 to 6 light coats…and of course start with white primer or white base coat for lighter colors, grey primer for med-darker top coat colors and black base for silver, chrome metallics. Never had any problems with any color doing it this way.

I'm going to quit using rustolium all together. Seems some are enamels and some are lacquers. I've had to sand way to many paint jobs off because of orange peel, or cracking, or some that take on an alligator skin look. I've had good luck with krylon, but I'm using more Ironlak. Its graffiti paint as well, and covers in very few coats.

i have a can of behr (home depot) dark yellow(?) (for a goblin) which has working well. i have had good results with that stuff in several colors. i had problems with dark blue of various manufacture, and the behr in that color was the best i had tried.

My company makes custom spray paint (www.myperfectcolor.com) and we match hundreds of yellow colors. The problem with yellows is that the pigments are inherently translucent and have terrible hide (the pigments for bright colors in general have to be ground into extremely small particle sizes to achieve the brightness which leads to the inhernetly poor hide). Colors that are less bright will hide better. We add as much pigment as we are able, but you can only add so much before ruining the paint. I am actually dealing with this same problem on my Mach 1 Chimera 65. A white primer or 1-2 coats white paint is key. Any dark colors underneath the yellow will be very difficult to hide.

We are about to add a few new yellow pigments to our inventory. One of them costs us $600/gallon! But it is super bright and seems to offer good hide. We'll see how it helps in formulating better hiding yellows.

BTW, we recently added a new yellow metallic and it covered fairly well. I used it to paint a video housing for the rocket we 3D printed using black filament. I did one coat of a gray primer, one coat of white spray paint, one coat of yellow spray paint, and two coats of the metallic yellow and it looks awesome.
Thanks for giving us these insights to the causes of our grief.

For most colors, I've gone to Seymour MRO paints. They are expensive, but they cover very well and the gator skin will be a memory if you follow the can instructions.

I like all colors of paint! 🌈

skittles GIF

Well, it seems like I have no luck with yellow paint. It so hard getting it to look right. Today I tried some Krylon ColorMax paint. While all the other colors ranged from great to ok, the yellow was TERRIBLE. was very thin, and dripped from the nozzle as it sprayed. Anyone have any tips on a good yellow paint to use?
Yeah, the Krylon yellow is not great. I'll not be going to that well again. Even with the white base coat, it came out looking like 🤮

Well, it seems like I have no luck with yellow paint. It so hard getting it to look right. Today I tried some Krylon ColorMax paint. While all the other colors ranged from great to ok, the yellow was TERRIBLE. was very thin, and dripped from the nozzle as it sprayed. Anyone have any tips on a good yellow paint to use?

My experience with Rusto 2X yellow is similar to this, just not as bad. It's OK, but it's not as good as the other 2X colors. I don't remember any dripping at the nozzle, but I did have more running than with any other color, and it took more coats to get good opacity over the (yes, white) primer. It's pretty likely that the runs mean, not that it's bad exactly, just less tolerant of my bad technique. The need for more coats than with other colors may just be an unavoidable consequence of the physics and physiology of the color. Yellow has a very narrow region of the spectrum, and a rich, saturated yellow doesn't seem to exist unless it's a bit orange.

(He looks up at the previous post.) OK, well, maybe it exists, but it's really hard.

EDIT: Fixed a critical error in wording that directly negated what I meant to say.

Last edited:
Yellow paint is HORRIBLE!!!!! Try spraying white paint or primer under it, it helps a little.

The need for more coats than with other colors may just be an unavoidable consequence of the physics and physiology of the color. Yellow has a very narrow region of the spectrum, and a rich, saturated yellow doesn't seem to exist unless it's a bit orange.

(He looks up at the previous post.) OK, well, maybe it exists, but it's really hard.
OK, I just read post #29. So for technical aspects, I bow to @strider07928.

Back