I had no idea LPR had such a following!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ccolvin968

Reaction score
I had joined and been asking lots of questions for my HPR certs, but hopped in the LPR section to check it out.
It's so cool that there's almost a cult following for LPR kits, both new and old.
I have a few that I've built recently, and all of the ones I built as a kid are gone.
Right now, my LPR listing is as follows:

Estes Mercury Redstone Kit (The one that flies on C6's) Also currently under repair due to a bad deployment.
Estes Crossfire
Estes Sky Cruiser (Almost idiot proof to build, but it's cool looking! Got it for $3 at Hobby Lobby on clearance.)

Hobby Lobby is my little secret spot... If I look at the end caps around the actual rocket isle, I tend to find AMAZING deals on kits.
What are some of your favorite kits to build?
Do you ever just take a bunch of kits and smash them together?
Anybody want to post their favorite LPR builds?

I had joined and been asking lots of questions for my HPR certs, but hopped in the LPR section to check it out.
It's so cool that there's almost a cult following for LPR kits, both new and old.
I have a few that I've built recently, and all of the ones I built as a kid are gone.
Right now, my LPR listing is as follows:

Estes Mercury Redstone Kit (The one that flies on C6's) Also currently under repair due to a bad deployment.
Estes Crossfire
Estes Sky Cruiser (Almost idiot proof to build, but it's cool looking! Got it for $3 at Hobby Lobby on clearance.)

Hobby Lobby is my little secret spot... If I look at the end caps around the actual rocket isle, I tend to find AMAZING deals on kits.

Not sure I want to be classified as being part of a cult.....:rolleyes:

While I have my L2 the majority of my rockets (both kits and built) are LPR. I prefer Sci-Fi and Odd roc which is easier to do in LPR. The extra odd bits often don't do well under higher power.

Also, I can buy/build/fly at lot more LPR for a lot less money than an L2 bird.

I have bashed several kits in the past into my own creations.

There are LOTS of build threads in the LPR section - take some time to look around.

The only reasons I'm pursuing HPR is to get access to sparkies, f100's, EX, etc. It seems silly, but them's the rules.

I have my L1. Should have my L2 this spring/summer. I have maybe 4 rockets built that can handle HPR. I have over 100 LPR models ready to fly... It's just as much fun (for me, at least) to fly an Alpha on an A8-3 as it is to fly a LOC Caliber on an H115. And cheaper too...

Chris

The only reasons I'm pursuing HPR is to get access to sparkies, f100's, EX, etc. It seems silly, but them's the rules.

The FSI F100, if that's what you mean, is actually around an E48. Bad measurements, but the name stuck.

If not, disregard post.

-Tony

After I finish my 7-foot tall L2 Black Brant III, I have a BT-5 FlisKits Mercury Redstone to build.

The FSI F100, if that's what you mean, is actually around an E48. Bad measurements, but the name stuck.

If not, disregard post.

-Tony

In fact, if you look at the NAR motor list, they officially re-designated the vintage F100 as an F80, so that it would not be considered a high power motor and could be used in model rockets.

Makes perfect sense.

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/FSI/F80.pdf

My local club is planning on a launch next year with a good number of flights using motors that have expired certifications, using the official NAR process that allows using these old motors as part of a data gathering exercise.

We expect to see a number of the old FSI 28mm motors like the "F100"/F80, F7, E60, E6, some of the old Estes E15s, the old NCRBE F62s, and more.

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NAR-Expired-Motor-Testing-Program.pdf

Welcome to the LPR Forum! In the last few months I've made a return to model rocketry after almost 30 years away from it. While the HPR stuff is certainly impressive, I find that for the cost to get to that level, I can build and fly a lot more LPR rockets. I also don't have as much trouble finding a suitable location to launch (no clubs near me, LPR or otherwise), and I can pretty much launch whenever the mood strikes me... Though I'm still amassing my fleet. None of the rockets I built when I was a kid still exist, but I have been able to find a few of the Estes kits still available and have been building like mad. I even ordered some pieces/parts to build some of the competition models I had back in the day - Rotaroc, Egg-lofter, SD and PD models! The biggest difference now is that I can afford it, and my modeling skills have improved over the years (spent a few decades in R/C airplanes). This morning at work I started working on an Estes Crossfire ISX that I also picked up at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon! :smile:

In fact, if you look at the NAR motor list, they officially re-designated the vintage F100 as an F80, so that it would not be considered a high power motor and could be used in model rockets.

Makes perfect sense.

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/FSI/F80.pdf

My local club is planning on a launch next year with a good number of flights using motors that have expired certifications, using the official NAR process that allows using these old motors as part of a data gathering exercise.

We expect to see a number of the old FSI 28mm motors like the "F100"/F80, F7, E60, E6, some of the old Estes E15s, the old NCRBE F62s, and more.

https://www.nar.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NAR-Expired-Motor-Testing-Program.pdf

I'm in your local club. :)

In fact, it was you who told me about the mislabeling of the F100.

-Tony

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize that you were elaborating, misread.

Last edited:
Yup, I just picked it as an example of a less-than-g-more-than-80 label. Really wish the US would line up with CA on that particular score.

Just picked up three kits on sale from my local HL.
Baby Birtha, Taser Twin, and a tall payload one that flies on E and F motors. Cant remember the name right now. Total: $23.16
Also bought some more paints for to finish the Crossfire. Such a fun little rocket!
All of these build threads are really pumping me up to start building and paying very close attention to details and quality.
Now... to start building up a "spare parts" bin that I keep reading about. :)

Yes. Check out the original work from Gary Byrum, Scotty Dog, Hornet Driver and neil_w
Thank you my old friend. But you too, have some excellent stuff in here worthy of being noted and viewed.

Ccol, LW is pointing out a hand full of rocketry artist that love building from scratch and designing their own models. For me, it's all about LPR and a dash of MPR for chuckles. I really have no interest in HPR, and that's a different topic for a different day. The LPR folks here are a mixed bag I think. Some are into all levels of building and flying whether it's LPR, MPR or HPR, some are also into kits and scratch, some are all about kits, then you have someone like me that rarely buys a kit. Kinda got that design and upscale thing going on. There have been some kits over the years that impressed and influenced me a lot, and since they are OOP anymore, I upscale them. I get my best jollies from taking my drawings, and creating a working flying rocket out of it.

The HPR flyers these days, seem to get a great deal more attention than us LPR guys do, but that's not saying LPR doesn't have it's glory. I can design something really cool in LPR that would probably never make it as a HPR model. And the creative factor takes a back seat in HPR (for the most part). One of the coolest things to experience here, is someone taking an interest in your design and asking for the templates to build one for themselves. I can't think of a better compliment in model rocketry.

Lastly, you let times get hard for one of these gung-ho HPR flyers, and watch em start knocking the dust off of their LPR models they hid from themselves. :grin:

it is also quicker and easier to test a design as a Class 1(low power) rocket than it is a HPR (and as pointed out, CHEAPER).
Rex

I've been building and flying model Rockets since the early 1960's, have a L1 cert I almost never use and have actually been going the other way with rocketry.
Started building Kits, Clones and Scratch built Standard Model rockets, in the mid 1980's started Upscaling everything in sight for MPR Clustered BP flights. Built one or two HPR models but in 1999 started building and flying Micro Maxx models rockets of which I have have over 240 different mircros to fly.

You get all the planning, excitement & fun flying micros as with any other size Rocketry flights. I've said it before: 300, 3,000 or 30,000ft (out of sight is out of sight).

Our club generally has a kit bash contest of some sort or another just about every year. A few years back we were given (for a fee) A plastic bag of parts with insturctions and cardstock panels that we were to use ONLY the parts in the bag to build our Scratch built "Kit Bash" models. My creation used ever single part in the bag, the cardstock and the bag itself to create what I named "Kit-Bash Kluster". A BT-80 based 4 to 6 motor Clustered Spaceship. have to say it's been a Hoot to fly
on any of the combinations of 24 & 18mm motors. I liked how well the rocket flew, I decided to downscale it to use MMX-II motors in 2-4 or 6 motor combinations calling the smaller version "Cosmic Cluster".

Like others I wouldn't call LPR (the actual beginning of Model Rocketry) a cult. It is the essense of the hobby. Every other niche in the hobby, is just on offshout of the original. It is my ernest belief that HPR is an excuse for us older "MEN" to play with Toy rockets. After all no mater how big these "Hobby Rockets" are they are Still just Toys. That said no matter how big or small our rockets may be they are ALL a Hoot to see something created by the owner actually Fly:)

681uc31b_Kit Bash Kluster-KBK10 4-6 motor Cluster display _11-16-10.JPG

681-Lp01a_KitBash KlusterTest flt 4 core Motors_06-17-10.JPG

681-Lp01c_KBK-10 on .25in rod hooked up & ready_06-19-10.jpg

681-Lp01d_KBK-10 Closeup of Q2g2 igniters & relay_06-19-10.jpg

681-Lp01f_KBK-10 Ignition & liftoff on Nice flight_06-19-10.JPG

681-Lp01g_KBK-10 1st flt Clearing the Rod @ ECRM-37_06-19-10.jpg

MM 370_Cosmic Cluster (6 motor)_11-14-10.JPG

MM 370Lp03a_Cosmic Cluster 4motor Relay ready_11-15-14.jpg

MM 370Lp03b_Cosmic Cluster 4motor mid Flight_11-15-14.jpg

After all no mater how big these "Hobby Rockets" are they are Still just Toys. That said no matter how big or small our rockets may be they are ALL a Hoot to see something created by the owner actually Fly:)

:mad::facepalm::mad:

Toys don't need no safety code.
You dont stand 15 feet away from a toy to turn it on.
toys don't have burning engines (unless you lite them on fire, not recomended!)
Toys dont move as fast like a rocket.

This from the internet so its true -
"A Mom's Guide to Model Rockets . . .
Remember: Model rockets are not toys and are not recommended for kids under 10. Kids under 12 really need adult supervision."
No mater what you say!

Last edited:
:mad::facepalm::mad:

Toys don't need no safety code.
You dont stand 15 feet away from a toy to turn it on.
toys don't have burning engines (unless you lite them on fire, not recomended!)
Toys dont move as fast like a rocket.

This from the internet so its true -
"A Mom's Guide to Model Rockets . . .
Remember: Model rockets are not toys and are not recommended for kids under 10. Kids under 12 really need adult supervision."
No mater what you say!

If something's only purpose is to provide entertainment, it's a toy. "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys."

I would say my favorite kind of kit to build would have to be something with a bit of complexity. Skill level 2 or 3 is the sweet spot for me. I enjoy them all though. Most recent finished build was a simple Wizard kit. My next LPR build might just be a MIRV.

My favorite rockets are, as with most BARs, the ones I had when I was young. Magnum, Super Nova, Javelin, Calypso, Fox Fire, most of the 1989-1991 catalogs.

The Magnum was my white whale though. One of my last best rockets as a kid, lawn darted on it's maiden flight. So when I came back last year, it HAD to be done.

... My next LPR build might just be a MIRV.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/srw/srwMG/srwMG.htm

Check out the plans for the Seattle Rocket Works MIRV Gryphon. It is a cluster booster 4x13 with a 4x13 MIRV sustainers, it can also operate as 2x2. I am in the middle of a kitbash of that plan which has a single 18mm booster and 4x13mm sustainers. Trying to decide on the MIRV nose cones, either 4 separate 13mm cones like the MIRV Gryphon plans, or a segmented cone that fits together to appear like one large cone, like the Estes MIRV. Still doing some cardstock mock-ups to decide.

Ooo! :surprised: That M.I.R.V. Gryphon is very tempting! Even an upscale using 18mm sustainers. Far less tempting would be Merv Griffin :facepalm:.

I have no choice. There is no club within a reasonable distance from me.
Since 1970, I've launched in the neighbors farm fields.
Trees on on 3 sides, and a man made pond behind a damn on the other.
So I don't really have a place to launch anything big n high.
No club means no way to get L1 or any other certs.
I've been a member of the NAR either. There is simply no point to it.

I've had some down time in the last couple days.
There are so many cool vendors and places that sell model rockets.
Much more than just the basic designs that I'm used to in most of store bought kits.
I have my eye on a few of the Sirius kits.
Crazy looking, but look like a blast to build and fly!

Back