I got my Astrocam!!! Yay! Now for a couple of questions...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini 14

Reaction score
I walk into the Cheyenne, WY Hobby Lobby on Wednesday and what do I find but a new Astrocam 110 kit. It is now fully assembled and ready for it's first flight.

1) Is the camera module available as a stand alone unit? I'd like to see how this thing performs under D power, so I'd be custom building the rocket for it.
2) By chance, where could a get 2 or 3 of those plastic fin units?

The Astrocam just recently got released as a camera/booster combination only. For several years before this it was only available in a complete starter outfit. I am sure if you contact Estes they will sell you a couple of those fin units separately, the folks in their customer service department do a fantastic job. I have been flying my Astrocams on D powered boosters made with the Quest 35mm tubing and the older Nike Smoke fin unit. Quest just came out with a model called the Brighthawk which, with a modified engine mount, would make a great, sturdy Astrocam booster. If you get one and need a few 24mm centering rings for the motor mount, let me know!!!

Originally posted by Mini 14

1) Is the camera module available as a stand alone unit? I'd like to see how this thing performs under D power, so I'd be custom building the rocket for it.
2) By chance, where could a get 2 or 3 of those plastic fin units?

Just scratch build a new booster and use the existing camera.

One thing you could do about a fin unit is:
Get a Cosmic Cobra when HL has their half off sale again.
That rocket makes a great booster for the Astrocam.
It's almost the same, but the fins are forward swept which helps prevent breakage upon landing.

However, I don't think you could get it to hold a D, since the fin unit is also the motor case.
So for a D powered model, you might want to just go all scratch.

Tim

I got one too!! But I got teh starter set.

Astro cam at the LHS: $37CAD
Starter set: $40CAD

guess which one was the better deal... and why!

D power???why limit yourself!!! go out and grab an estes eliminator...the cam sits atop like a charm. assuming its the same diameter as the old one. the eliminator can house a 29mm MMT, or just high thrust 24mm. get some sweet photos.

good call on the Eliminator. I don't know why I never think about that one, I love flying it. I bet it'd be perfect for making a Rastrocam. Or maybe a D12-7 would work with the normal Astrocam nose configuration. Got to give it a try.

Tim

What I'd like to do eventually is scratchbuild a D and E engine rocket for the Astrocam. This of course means finding another camera.

Also, since the original is launched on the "Delta II" (although not called that for some time), has anyone here built the Delta II as a stand-alone rocket with regular nosecone? I might do that. It looks kinda nifty.

Originally posted by Mini 14
What I'd like to do eventually is scratchbuild a D and E engine rocket for the Astrocam. This of course means finding another camera.

Why does it? Why can't you just swap the camera between the two?

Originally posted by rokitflite
...Quest just came out with a model called the Brighthawk which, with a modified engine mount, would make a great, sturdy Astrocam booster. If you get one and need a few 24mm centering rings for the motor mount, let me know!!!

Just as an aside, that Brighthawk is a nice-looking but very simple (elegant, even?) model. I like the bright color scheme.

Back