I got money burnin a hole in my pocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Well, I just finished putting in 150' of fence, and I got paid $150, so I have a bit of money on my hands.... I need to figure out how to spend it... Dont give me any "you should put some in the bank!" stuff... I worked hard for this money, and I think its time I treat myself to some new rockets:D

I have been looking at the Launch Pad kits... Could you give me your opinions on these? What are the fins made of? TTW or surface mount? WHat are the NCs made of?

I am looking at the "Bolo", the " (improved) Hawk 23B", and the japanese artillery rocket... Does anyone have these birds? Care to share any info about them? I really like the prices... Much better than AT. Do you get what you pay for, or are TLPs just as good?

Thanks for the info/opinions!

Hmm...if I had put in 150' feet of fence...I woulda charged a lot more than $1 per foot! :p

Anyways...if you're looking at TLP kits, I would recommend the Hawk MIM-23A 1.6". It was my first TLP kit, and it looks SO cool! It's weighted nicely, and flies good on 24/40 RMS motors. I flew mine a couple of time on D9-4W motors, until it crashed...

It'll make a good, challenging kit, since it requires you to cut out and attach LONG fins, cut out and form the boat tail (EASY), and it is priced nice.

The TLP Osiris is also a nice kit. :)

Jason

I know... I am fed up with the under-pay too.:rolleyes: :( A buck a foot... If they paid the guy we bought the materials from to put it in, it would be 10X that at least. But of course my mom will hear none of that. Its "to keep YOUR (my) dog in! Why should we pay *YOU* to do it!?". Ill take the $150...:eek: :( Im not too happy about it, though.:kill:

Well, I dont really like the looks of the over-sized fins... I know its true to scale and all, but it just isnt very apealing to me. I like the smaller finned rockets like the Bolo and the Artillery rocket. I think I might also get a Perseus too...:D What are the tubes like? Are they easy to squish with no effort like Estes, or are they tough like mailing tubes?:confused:

the TLP kits are designed to be lightweight in order to use bp motors/ some clusters (and some can handle F's)
The ones I'm familiar with use surface mount balsa fins.they are more of a builders type kit.It's important to stick close to the instructions if you want to build one stock ..If you want something really robust that you can toss a 29mm in,, you might be better off scratchbuilding one.by the time you upgraded all the components.
I'm not implying that tlp kits are not strong,but they do require a little more patience than some other brands...but you can end up with a great looking scale model in the end

I'm just starting on the Rim-67A plan pak and it's definately a builders kit
not much room for changes

hope that clears up a little just my 2p

because you ar ehelping to improve the property value!
don't let your folks take advantage of you!
:D

I personally wouldn't go with the TLP kits. Not that they are bad or anything, i honestly don't know, never tried em before. Its just that one doesn't often have a chuck o' cash like that very often, especially without a real job.

You might go and try a PML or LOC kit. Either way i think you'll be happy. Or go and buy yourself some motors! We are free to fly after all!:D

TLP kits are pretty good quality materials, but definitely a step up on the challenge meter from Estes kits. They require cutting your own fins, and the instructions are rather minimalistic. Like Stymye, I'm working on the RIM-67A PlanPak, and it's pretty tough going at times. The fins are surface mount.

All the things I've seen from the designer say that modifying the designs is very risky. The reason is that the real missiles are designed to be either unstable or marginally stable, for maximum maneuverability in flight, but use avionics for artificial stability. In kitting the downscale models, balance is tough because on the outside they are unstable, and have to be built exactly according to specs to be stable.

WW

Make sure you look at The EMRR reviews, and especially the comments by the mfr. He outright states that he wanted to provide a model building experience that will test your craftsmanship skills.

TLP specialized in military models and the Hawk is definitely that. The name is an acronym for

Homing All the Way Killer

It is a near point defense missle that is extremely agile, hence the large fins.

The real thing is kind of cool to see fly.

I built the TLP Folgore kit. It took awhile to build because it has 6 fins but once built, it looks nice and flies beautifully. It can fly on Estes D12 motors as well as Aerotech E15W single use motors and F24W reloads. Since E15W's are very hard to come by, I'm sure you could use E18W reloads. The TLP website DOES mention that they have test flown it on E30T's with good success but they don't reccommend it. I guess that they think the power of the Blue Thunder propellant would put a lot of stress on the fins.

Oh, and one more thing, if you'd like to learn more about it, go to EMRR and read the review that I wrote on it.

Let me rccommend one thing!!!

DITCH THE MYLAR PAPACHUTE!!! Go with nylon.

Hey Neil-

TLP kits are great. I would recommend giving their kits a try.

I have built their Anubis and Perseus II (converted from cluster to single motor mount) and am quite pleased with both. The Perseus II gets comments every time I put it on the pad.

Their kits use standard small rocket construction techniques, but incorporate some different ideas as well. Amongst these are using CA to stiffen fins and wraps and putting in a ring "shelf" to keep the parachute and wadding from sliding back into the airframe during flight.

Hey don't complain about getting $150 in less than a week, it takes me 6 months to get that :p.

No experience with TLP, but in the bag in the hobby shop they look pretty good.

i don't know y in the world ur complaining... $1 a foot is allot of money! i get a flat rate of $5 an hour from my parents, if i won't do it for 5 i don't do it at all (or they just say do it and i don't get anything!). suck it up and live man, your lucky you get anything at all. :kill: I'm trying to get a job that will pay, but i don't want to do burger king or dunkin, so i'm having a hard time. what i really want to do is come up with a few kits... but first off i need some $$ to buy the components from fliskits to make them :rolleyes:

I duno anything about TLP, but PML kits rock.. tho their *very* expensive. you may want to invest in something other than kits (aka an epoxy system/etc) and just built the rockets from scratch... up 2 u tho!

Have *YOU* ever put in a fence!??!!?!?!??!:eek: Thats hard labor, man! Especially when you have to hack thru roots and stuff... And ground that is still frozen, and making the holes line up, and making all the holes exactly 26" deep, and the exact size:eek: . it aint easy! If you had done it, you would proabably ask for that much if not more;) :p

Yer tellin *ME* to ditch the mylar? Ditching stock chutes is second-nature to me!:D I always use MMHPR chutes (my chutes:rolleyes: ). No way am I gonna use a little piece of mylar with taped-on lines!:eek: :kill:

Well, I am going to be ordering some motor mounts from some dealer that also stocks TLP kits, so I think ill just get a Bolo to see if I like em, and then if I dont, I dont, if I do, I buy more.

I also have my eye on the PML Tiny Pterydactle. Or maybe that big Tomahawk. Or maybe the Pterydactle JR. I dunno. I have a lot of money on my hands... It has been a while since I have had more than ten bucks, so I have kind of forgotten what to do with it all:eek: ;)

OK... I was just lookin at the PML website, and I have decided that I wand a QUARTER SCALE PATRIOT, BABY!!!!1:D :D :cool: :cool:

Ive got the money, and I have been eyeing that kit for the longest time... I think its time I really treated myself to something GOOD:D

LoL when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you'd got your 50 cents back :D :p

If I had that much money, I would buy something really BIG!

Phil

That's a good choice of rocket Neil...although it is insanely expensive...

I hope you have fun building it! :D :D

Jason

LOL!!! No, I didnt get my $.50 back!:D ;)

If I get it from the Hobby Connection, its only $70. And I think ill also get an IO, and some LOC 38MM tubing. Itll be about $120, but I have earned it. The rest ill blow on G80s from our local hobby shop. I also have to save $40 for that reload case, but I think ill make enough money selling chutes at CMASS to cover that. Maybe ill get lucky and have enough to get a Fliskits Ritcher Recker at the launch!:cool: Ive been wanting one of those pretty badly all winter, but I dont want to mail-in order.... My parents wont use paypal, so I cant order Fliskits:(

Itll be *SO* nice having all the parts cut out for me for once... I wont have to cut anything on a jigsaw, I wont have to do design anything, I can just follow the instructions and go!:cool: Nothing against scratch building, but it sure is nice to have something all laid out for you every once in a while....:eek: :D

Originally posted by Neil
Have *YOU* ever put in a fence!??!!?!?!??!:eek: Thats hard labor, man! Especially when you have to hack thru roots and stuff... And ground that is still frozen, and making the holes line up, and making all the holes exactly 26" deep, and the exact size:eek: . it aint easy! If you had done it, you would proabably ask for that much if not more;) :p
no, i've never put in a fence, but just the same it dosn't matter what i do i get $5 an hour. I don't think it took you even close to 30hrs to put in that fence... if it did than you really earnd that money (even so you really earnd that money;) ). i've done work like cutting trees, shoveing snow and what not that isn't 'easy' work (i wouldn't consider it exactly hard eather tho), but it dosn't matter its 5bucks or nothing....... still, lets end this discusion here... were supposed to talk rockets, not how much money we can get to spend on them:D

I think the pml kits are cool, i thought about an IO myself (i had a gift certifacate for $50 from them), but went with hte AMRAAM2 instead, the Patriot should be really cool!! might as well go big if your looking to spend that kind of money:cool:

Now try cutting a tree thats a foot under the ground, with a hole only 5" wide to work in!;)

It took me 15-20 hours by my best guess... Up here minumum wage is $6. So if I worked 20 hours at minumum wage, it would be $120. but, putting in a fence is hard labor, and by paying me to do it they were saving about $1000-$2000:rolleyes: . Thats what the guy who deliverd the fence would have charged to put it in:eek: I did the same thing for $150, so they really saved a bit...:rolleyes:

I dont really like AMRAAMs... I dont know why... I just dont like the way the look, i guess. They look good when other people make em, but I just cant seem to bring myself to buy one:rolleyes:

Hi Neil
Dont forget to spend a few bucks on your dog.
No dog = no fence = no money.
Yes 1usd is a bit low but it gonna happen all the time, even when you grow up people will try to take advantage of you and being for your dog just makes it easier for them to underpay.
Still you got some money and can do what you want with it so have fun.

David

Originally posted by Neil
OK... I was just lookin at the PML website, and I have decided that I wand a QUARTER SCALE PATRIOT, BABY!!!!1:D :D :cool: :cool:

Ive got the money, and I have been eyeing that kit for the longest time... I think its time I really treated myself to something GOOD:D

Neil:

The tiny Tery and the 4" Patriot are both good kits. The Tery flies great on F-G motors. The Patriot flies well on the 2-3 grain H-I motors like H148R or an I161W. Got both of them and like em.

One thing ditch the nylon strap glued to the motor mount and replace it with 5/8" tubular kevlar. Lasts much longer.

Al

Well, if I buy the kit, I dont have enough money for the kevlar:rolleyes: . Ill just use the nylon, and put the wadding in the motor mount above the motor like the instructions tell me to do... aparantly that saves the nylon strap

when are u goning to start selling your kits? also, you have braded kevlar in them... you could use some of that:D. if you stick a little dog barf or something in on top of the mottor that will catch any large particles/flames, so the strap will last longer. still, if you did that with kevlar in there it would last 4 ever;) i'm just using the stock nylon tho... i do think that they could move it to the outside of the CR, that way it would be further from the motor.. i guess it would be harder to atach taht way tho.

Lets see... I just made myself a jig for turning tubes while they are glassing, so once I get the knack of that, it shouldent be too long... I am starting to cut the fins out (I finished cutting the fin set for my boiler-plate model today) , and the CRs also.

The braided kevlar is only 1/8". I would need something a little bigger for this:(

Originally posted by als57
Neil:

The tiny Tery and the 4" Patriot are both good kits. The Tery flies great on F-G motors. The Patriot flies well on the 2-3 grain H-I motors like H148R or an I161W. Got both of them and like em.

Al

My Tiny Ptery flies well on G40s-I200s:cool: After a little modification, then it should fly well on I435Ts. :D

I don't have a 1/4 patriot, but i hear they'll fly on J350s all day long

I have been looking at the PML kits myself, mainly the Tethys. They look pretty good, and I saw an Io (I think) fly on somthing HPR, H I or J but it really went.

I have built three PML kits. The first was a Small Endeavour, the second, an Explorer, and just recently a Matrix. I would highly reccommend these three.

The Matrix has 12 fins but it looks very cool when finished in the black and white paint scheme and the decals. I loaded it up with an H242T and it flew great.

Good luck choosing, sooooo many kits, sooooo little money:D :D :D

No kidding! So many kits, so little money. But I dont really like the way the Tethys or Matrix look... Its pretty much IO and Patriot, hands down for me:D :rolleyes:

Though the 3" tomahawk looks cool.

STOP CONFUSING ME!!!!!:D ;) :p :D

Those are great choices Neil, The IO seems like a nice little kit although I've never seen one myself and you can get it with either a 29mm or 38mm motor mount.

There is an opinion on the IO review on EMRR where a guy attached a 9 inch payload section to his and flew it on I161W and I357T motors and he said it recovered fine from over 5,000 feet.

I have seen a 1/4 Patriot before, that is a nice kit, I think you will enjoy it if thats what you choose.

Back