Quantcast

I flew some rockets today...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

astronboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
0
Well, I finally had enough free time, and cooperative weather to fly
the some rockets. I drove down to the local HS this afternoon and flew
a few models. After several days of rain, the field was like a wet
sponge, but it was usable.

First up was my trusty Astron Alpha. I think of this as my own
personal sounding rocket, and always launch it first. The results of
my Alpha's flight gives me a pretty good idea of what is going
on 'upstairs'. As the Alpha came down within 20 feet from the
launchpad, I was pretty happy with the slight breeze that was blowing.

Next, I flew two of my new Goony prototypes on their maiden flights:
The Iron Wombat and the 57 Goony. Both performed flawlessly on B6-4s.

Finally, I launched the Delta Katt on 1/2A-2Ts. The first flight
showed me that I had way too much weight in the nose, as it came down
in a pretty steep dive. I removed about 1/3 of the clay and launched
again. This time, there was some improvement, but still too much nose-
weight. The glider was also circling too severely to the left, so I
also removed 1/2 of the wing tip clay. (so much for hand-toss
trimming!!) So I launched again, and again, for a total of 7
flights.

All flights were successful except one. On flight 4, a breeze blew up
right at ignition, and the pod launched, leaving the glider behind!
The pod was just a bit more than neutrally stable, so it continued up
to apogee, popped, and came back down. Fortunately, the glider was
undamaged. By flight 7, I had removed almost all of the nose clay,
and was getting a 30 second flight. I am sure that it can do better,
but I will need to buy more 1/2A3-2T motors....

I have to say that I am impressed by this (at least) 35 year old
design. Not only does it actually glide, but it has been pretty
forgiving in the hands of a glider recovery newbie.

It was also a d@%#d good way to spend 1.5 hours on a lazy Sunday afternoon....

I have posted a few launch photos.

Enjoy:

http://tinyurl.com/5zbxm

Phred
 

Stymye

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
7,568
Reaction score
4
woah ,, exhaust pipes... too cool!
 

BobH48

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,370
Reaction score
1
When you mentioned the '57 Goony, I pictured the first car I ever owned.... a '57 Chevy.

I must say that the '57 Goony was just way too cool!!

The fins gave it that "stand way, way, way off" '57 Chevy look.

Headers on a rocket, who would have thunk it!

Great job!

OBTW... I liked the other rockets too! :D
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Awesome job Phred. Love the exhuast pipes. I really liked the Wolverine (sorry "Gooney" Wombat). How'd you make the nose cone?
 

bcdlr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Nice pictures. Like the rockets, like the launch pad.
This rocketry thing is kind of fun isn't it?
It's good to be a BAR (said like Mel Brooks saying, "It's good to be the king" from History of the World...).
 

flying_silverad

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2002
Messages
3,141
Reaction score
1
Nice pack of rockets there...I really like all of those high quality DECALS. Where can one get some of those DECALS?

:D
 

astronboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
0
Thanks Guys....

My first car was a 57 Chevy too.... That is EXACTLY what I was going for with the fin decals. The pic is not too detailed, but the fin is striped to look like the brushed Bel-Air tail insert of the 57.

The Iron Wombat nosecone is made from a Deuce's Wild nose, cut and re-glued.

Tha launch pad is my heavy-duty verion of the old tilt-a-pad. I call it a quadra pad, and built it from scrap wood. It has an 8x12 base, with 4 10" adjustable legs, and can handle just about any rocket up to 4" in diameter.

Of course, once I get the website re-done, the GOONY decals and patterns/instructions will be available.

Phred
 

bcdlr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by astronboy
The launch pad is my heavy-duty verion of the old tilt-a-pad. I call it a quadra pad, and built it from scrap wood. It has an 8x12 base, with 4 10" adjustable legs, and can handle just about any rocket up to 4" in diameter.

Phred
I'm going to borrow your design. I like it. I'm going to try to make the legs a little longer, though. :) So I don't have to bend over so far!
 

astronboy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Messages
2,437
Reaction score
0
Yes, longer legs would help, but would prevent the pad from folding as nicely..

Start with a 8x12 piece of wood. I had some 3/4" pine just lying around. I screwed two 2x3 rails lengthwise, and used drilled 4 holes for the leg bolts.

I also screwed a 2x3 block about 4" long, laid flat under the center of the pad, Then I drilled a 1/8" hole and a 3/16" hole about 1/2 " either side of center. (launch rod holes)

then I made the legs, drilled holes, and attached them with bolts and thrumbscrews so the whole thing fold up flat, legs under the pad.



Phred
 

bcdlr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
218
Reaction score
0
That's what I thought I'd do.
Might make it just a hair longer to get longer legs. Like you say, it's nice that they fold up like that!
 
Top