Quantcast

I finally got to launch also

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
I've been wanting to fly this one for a while. This is its 3rd iteration. This one adds the payload section. It finally looks like I've been seeing it in my mind.

I actually finished and painted the payload section. The body still only has a light coat of flat white. It was always seen as a protoype. It's time to just paint it and let sleeping dogs lie. The previous iterations had 8 flights under their collective belts. It had a balsa nose cone and need a bit of weight to keep it from swishing too much on its way up. The payload section eliminated the need for weight up front.

The last version flew well on a B6-4 and a C6-3. An A8-3 left it underpowered. I flew it today on a B6-4 and it was very nice, actually higher than the old one. I was going to try an A8-3, but it started to rain.

The big thing for me is that I flew it without a shock cord. Fortuitously, I was fresh out of thin diameter shock cord and I remembered reading in the Good Book that Mr. Stine mentioned using kite string for a shock cord. So I tied on another piece of Kevlar thread giving me about 3x rocket length. It worked great. 12" chute with a big spill hole, perfect recovery.

I really like this approach. This merits more research.

USS Tellurium launch pad post.jpg

post pre fin.jpg

RangerStl

Reaction score
Looks good! The payload section does add a balancing element to the design, both visually as well as gravitationally. :D

There are just not enough side-pod designs out there in the mass market.

-N

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Thats a cool rocket. If rain stays south tomorow Ill be launching again. Scotty Dog

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
Thank you. Unfortunately it looks better from a distance.

The booster pod idea came from something I saw on the web where the guy was apologizing for flat balsa on cut tube rather then turning balsa and shaping. I think it was a Russian missile but the slanted edges faced out. I thought it looked great and have used it on 4 rockets and one being built. So easy, but so cool.

I'm tempted to cut the fins a bit shorter. The fins used to be triangular. Next step may be to cut another1/4" off. Hmmm no time like the present. That's better. Time to put a coat of paint on this thing.

I'm really curious if it would fly without fins. Would the pods serve as fins?

chopping block post.jpg

chopped post.jpg

ScrapDaddy

Reaction score
Pod Stabilization tends to be a gamble, although used on military spacecraft for years, pod stabilization is young to most design software, the string test wont work. pods move the cp back but only so much:dark:

Bone Daddy

Reaction score
Finished painting.

Launched on an A8-3. Not much altitude, but a good you're not going to lose it flight.

Launched on a B6-4. This is a well matched motor. Used a streamer instead of a parachute. The darn thing landed on an 8" wide concrete strip put in to set a fence in. Two fins broke off. Easily fixed. She'll be ready to fly Saturday on a C6-3 at the monthly DARS launch.

I hope everyone has a great day and happy flying.

BD

booster mod red post.jpg

Latest posts