i cried....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
I just painted my [Binder Design] Stealth Jr.

It's had it's first flight, and now is the time to paint it.

Sanded it down, and cleaned it.
Painted it it's 'primary' colour: matt 'Krylon' white
Next day, masked it off for it's second colour.
Painted it, Krylon 'primer' grey. let dry
Peeled off teh electrical tape (masking) and the 'low tack' masking tape (to fill the spaces between the electrical tape), and surprise! paint patches that peel off (easily) with the tape!!

And quite a few patches of paint peeled off!! Most of teh nose-cone, and various patches on teh BT. Man, Am I bummed!!

Despite it being a cool-ish day, I guess teh humidity is still considered 'high'. And despite it being cool, I guess that's a relative term, as it is in the mid 20's..

I guess It needed more cleaning, or more sanding.. Or there's something in / on those parts from Oregon!

Bummer.
major bummer
Major major bummer....

Live and learn, right!! :D

needs more time to dry, sand lighter, and watch what kinda tape you use... your not guarenteed a rocket being safe against tape uptill its clear coated, its happened alot to me

I use the blue painters tape, but it still pulls paint sometimes. If you have the time, wait a full week between colors.

And since misery loves company, I just put the base coat on the mini solar sailer, and instead of a nice even coat, it was all splotchy and the paint wicked into the corners, filled all the little gaps, and ended up lumpy. I suspect that spray cans should be discarded when they're almost empty, not when they're actually empty. Sigh. I need to let mine dry completely and then sand it off and start again.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
I just painted my [Binder Design] Stealth Jr.

It's had it's first flight, and now is the time to paint it.

Sanded it down, and cleaned it.
Painted it it's 'primary' colour: matt 'Krylon' white

No primer?

Electrical tape is really sticky, you want to use "painter's tape". i is masking tape with maybe a drop of adhesive an inch. It is really un-tacky, so it doesn't peel off paint. It worked really good on my Mustang.

Get the blue painter's tape and stick it to the inside of your arm first. Removes about 50% of the adhesive power.

Originally posted by rbeckey
Get the blue painter's tape and stick it to the inside of your arm first. Removes about 50% of the adhesive power.

Wouldn't that pick up grease and cause problems?

I use blue painters tape, I have had some paint peel off, I'll take rbeckey's advice:)

peel all the paint off the nose cone, and wash it a few times with dishwashing detergent or laundry soap. you need to get the mold release compounds off the surface. then the primer and paint will stick.

thanks to TRF for that handy tip! ask me how I found out it works :)

Thanks all for the support!

To be honest, this is the first real disaster Iv'e ever had painting..

The electrical tape barely stuck to teh paint (first layer), but I guess it needed a bit of time to 'bite' into the paint. Mainly jsut the nosecone for this..

Yeah, my 'low tack' tape is regular tape, but patted a few times on my clothes, to remove much of teh stickiness (like teh arm idea..) The 'blue' tape wopudl have been better..

Didn't think I would need primer... Never really needed it before...
I guess it'll soo be looked upon...

Nose cone is probably gonna get a new paint job.
Rocket will 'sit' for a while.. to cure
Missing patches will get touched up in the future...

For simple, straight lines, I have had very good success with clear (scotch) tape. Definitely make sure that your existing primer/paint has been given plenty of time to dry.

Blue painter's tape has given me very mixed results at best. It's creates a much higher build edge & is prone to having paint leak underneath if not applied with great attention to detail.

You can also use automotive vinyl pinstriping tape (comes in a rainbow of colors & widths) also make great accent stripes & can hide minor paint flaws. I also have had very good success with doing complex tape lines (namely curves) with this as well--however, it is *very* tacky & can pull up the paint underneath if not careful... You can find pinstriping tape at most auto parts stores/departments.

I have been told, that, with masking tape and spray paint, that there is something in spray paint (the propellant or the solvent) will eat into the masking tape glue, giving you the dreaded 'bleed under'

I've used electrical tape in the past with good results. I;ve used ''3M Scoth brand' tape as well, same effect, but not as 'elastic'.

Pin striping tape, not used any yet, as I've found it to be 'super sticky'!

Originally posted by Dr Wogz
I have been told, that, with masking tape and spray paint, that there is something in spray paint (the propellant or the solvent) will eat into the masking tape glue, giving you the dreaded 'bleed under'

After you've put the masking tape in place spray over it again using the colour you are masking off. This forms a seal which the new colour can't penetrate (bleed under).

What about primer?
I sand, prime, wet sand all plastic nose cones.
Body tubes get a 220 sanding then primed and a final 320 sanding before paint.

Originally posted by solrules
Wouldn't that pick up grease and cause problems?

That's the point, it gets some skin oil and becomes less sticky so less of a chance of paint peeling.

Back